Tricked out Perfectline

• Please log in to reply

#1 Boltman

Boltman

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:14 AM

Hi Folks,
Some of you may laugh at my choice of crossbow, but I have a few valid reasons. I live in a state in Australia that still allows crossbows without licence or regulation, although I am not sure how long this state of affairs will last. A number of states and one territory either ban them or require burdensome licences to own them. Very few archery clubs allow crossbows. I chose to buy a Perfectline (aka Jaguar or Armex) crossbow because it is cheap. If crossbows are banned here and I have to dispose of mine, it should not be too expensive to do so, even as I am hoping and praying that I would not have to. In saying this, I have used my crossbow quite a bit. It is quite reliable and accurate if assembled properly. I have also upgraded it and tricked it out enough to make it even better. It is comparable to a Barnett Panzer V. I use Gold Tip carbon bolts for it (instead of those awful purple aluminium bolts that came with it), Muzzy 3 blades for my hunting bolts, added reinforcement to the centre of the prod to keep it tightly where it is, and put on a Nikko Stirling scope. I plan on getting string silencers later. I have taken a fox with it easily at 20 yards or so and I regularly shoot at field targets with it. At 20 to 30 yards, I can get very tight groups. My best group so far is a tight half inch (3 bolts) at 25 yards. It has not given me any problems. I still plan on getting an Excalibur later on, when I can get a better idea of where Australia is going with crossbows. For the moment, my Perfectline works well enough. Any thoughts out there?

#2 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:37 AM

Would like to see some pics of your setup. Sounds like you've made s shooter out of a realtively inexpensive crossbow. I know guys that can't shoot groups like you described with crossbows costing many times more.....

You guys sure got a lot of weird rules down under...especially for a contry that got it's start as a British penal colony!!!

Edited by briarpatch, 15 July 2011 - 07:38 AM.

#3 Boltman

Boltman

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Would like to see some pics of your setup. Sounds like you've made s shooter out of a realtively inexpensive crossbow. I know guys that can't shoot groups like you described with crossbows costing many times more.....

You guys sure got a lot of weird rules down under...especially for a contry that got it's start as a British penal colony!!!

Wierd rules? You have no idea!
As to the photos of my setup, I'll send you some this weekend. I normally shoot my crossbow early Saturday morning, when the neighbours are still asleep, and I have just the barest light available from a barely risen sun. It is winter down here at the moment, so it can be really cold when I do my shooting. Not that I mind. I have neighbours who do not really understand our hobby, and so to avoid argument, I try to shoot when they're not looking. The alternative is a long drive to a forested archery range.

#4 simo

simo

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

Perfect Line – Cheetah 185 lb draw weight.

Attached Images

• DSC00046.JPG
  • DSC00048.JPG
  • DSC00049.JPG

#5 Boltman

Boltman

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hi Briarpatch and Simo,
Great picutres of the Cheetah.
I am attaching my Jaguar photos as well. On one of them is a picture of my son trying it for size. Another features a 3-shot group shot standing from 25 yards. The third shows some details of my accessorising. It has a five bolt quiver (two still in place, as three are on the target) and a Nikko Stirling scope. What you cannot quite see is a custom string (not too clear), and additional reinforcement where the centre of the prod meets the retaining hex screw. I have shot this bow extensively using 16 inch gold tip carbons (as on the photo). It is very accurate and reliable, no matter what its detractors might say.

Attached Images

• SANY6060.JPG
  • SANY6525.JPG
  • SANY6526.JPG

#6 Kiwininja

Kiwininja

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMatamata, Waikato, New Zealand

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

Hi Folks,
Some of you may laugh at my choice of crossbow, but I have a few valid reasons. I live in a state in Australia that still allows crossbows without licence or regulation, although I am not sure how long this state of affairs will last. A number of states and one territory either ban them or require burdensome licences to own them. Very few archery clubs allow crossbows. I chose to buy a Perfectline (aka Jaguar or Armex) crossbow because it is cheap. If crossbows are banned here and I have to dispose of mine, it should not be too expensive to do so, even as I am hoping and praying that I would not have to. In saying this, I have used my crossbow quite a bit. It is quite reliable and accurate if assembled properly. I have also upgraded it and tricked it out enough to make it even better. It is comparable to a Barnett Panzer V. I use Gold Tip carbon bolts for it (instead of those awful purple aluminium bolts that came with it), Muzzy 3 blades for my hunting bolts, added reinforcement to the centre of the prod to keep it tightly where it is, and put on a Nikko Stirling scope. I plan on getting string silencers later. I have taken a fox with it easily at 20 yards or so and I regularly shoot at field targets with it. At 20 to 30 yards, I can get very tight groups. My best group so far is a tight half inch (3 bolts) at 25 yards. It has not given me any problems. I still plan on getting an Excalibur later on, when I can get a better idea of where Australia is going with crossbows. For the moment, my Perfectline works well enough. Any thoughts out there?

Yea boltman ...I too have extensively used my Jaguar crossbow ( round 3800 shots - 9 mnths) and found it to be fairly darng accurate for the price you shell out for these puppies!! ..I modified by pushing the prod to the front of the housing as far as I could and swapped the steel divider that usually sits between the hex screw and the prod. Fleeced out 3/4 of the prod and the steel divider and put the steel divider on the opposite side of where the divider usually sits, so you get an extra 7 - 8mm of length extending the length of the power stroke slighty ..but you do notice the slight increase in power.
The proper length of string for the bow is 26.5inches but I have a string made that is 25.5inches in length (something I have learn't from here) and twisting the string 9 rotations for the length of my string.
I am still experimenting with this xbow pushing it to its limit ...and seems to standing up to the test fairly well ...

Attached Images

• SDC11308.jpg
  • SDC11298.jpg