View New Content Mark all as read |  

Aluminum Moon Nocks vs Plastic Nocks ?

• Please log in to reply

#1 STEELERS 6 Time Champs

STEELERS 6 Time Champs

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

I know the aluminum moon nocks are no doubt stronger. I'm thinking of switching to these , however I would like to shoot the 100 gr Grim Reapers that I already have. Will these fly good or would I need to bump it up to 125 gr point? It's shooting good now with the plastic nocks and 100gr pts so I'm kind of hesitant to change. I was told that the plastic nocks will work fine if seated properly against the string and won't fail, but I'm hearing a couple guys saying they broke their plastic nocks and it cut the string. Don't want that to happen. Whats your opinion ?

#2 randyxx75

randyxx75

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

I have over 1200 shots on my sz 380, all with plastic nocks, except I tried the aluminum nocks , maybe a dozen or so,,,,,and machined part of my rail off, sharp as razors,,,,never had a problem with the plastic, just don't shoot groups and risk hitting them and no probs!

#3 robertyb

robertyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

I ran this question about weight, and was told that if I changed over to the aluminum nocks I would need to go to 125 gr points. I stayed with my plastic nocks and have had no problems at all with them so far.

#4 STEELERS 6 Time Champs

STEELERS 6 Time Champs

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I was told by someone who knows alot about crossbows that the plastic nocks are fine and as long as I fully seated them against the string I would have no problems. Then you hear of a couple people having their nocks break and it put a little doubt in my mind. Anybody else have an opinion on this. Thanks.

#5 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

There are plastic nocks and then there are other plastic nocks. I'd trust the ones on the Stryker arrows as well as the Red Hot arrows. NEVER use those plastic nocks with a cut straight down thru the center of the moon nock.

#6 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:35 AM

Plastic, in this hot weather, gets soft. Another reason I try to stay away from them. I know it's rare for a plastic nock related failure but it does happen and when it happens it's not pretty. I had it happen to me with my first crossbow, a Ten Point Stealth. It was hot weather and I was shooting every day. I wnet out to pick my crossbow up one morning and I noticed the limbs looked strangely different. A plstic nock was driven up into the back of the the arrow shaft and the shaft cut the string. The string was slowly coming apart under the center serving while hanging in shop. The Red Hots are nice plastic nocks and seem to be more precise in dimensions than most of the generic and (IMO) sloppily manufactured plastic nocks. Just pick up a few in a local shop and look at their diameters in relation to the rear of the shafts. some of the stick out past the radius of the shaft on one side and are ok on the other :o

As to aluminum nocks requiring the use of 125 grain heads, I do not agree with that. I think too much importance is placed on exact weight FOC, espeically if using mechanical or small diameter 4 blade heads.

I try to make my hunting equipment as bullet proof as I possibly can and plastic nocks just don't meet that requirement for me.

Edited by Moon, 22 July 2011 - 08:36 AM.

#7 markvan

markvan

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Just curious as to your thoughts on the 'practice nocks' from the higher priced circuit board lighted nock manufacturer. I use them just cause the o- rings allow for easy adjustment when fletching. Top quality in my opinion, haven't had a problem yet.

#8 ynot

ynot

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

no problems yet with plastic but i'am a little concerned,but more cocerned about alum nocks wearing down my rail.

#9 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Having had a bow blow up (lliterally) from a failed plastic nock, you won't find one in my possession. Switched to alum moons, no affect on accuracy,however, I am shooting arrows with 18-20 % FOC. Aluminum nocks have NOT worn the barrels of the 5 bows I've used them in.

Edited by Cossack, 05 September 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#10 buckstand

buckstand

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Having had a bow blow up (latterly) from a failed plastic nock, you won't find one in my possession. Switched to alum moons, no affect on accuracy,however, I am shooting arrows with 18-20 % FOC. Aluminum nocks have NOT worn the barrels of the 5 bows I've used them in.

Where can I purchase aluminum moon nocks?

Thanks

#11 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

You should be able to get them from any Gold Tip arrow dealer. GT offers them by the dozen and in packs of 100. The nocks have edges that are a little too sharp for me but it only takes a second to remove those sharp edges with a rubber abrasive block. I then polish them up with steel wool.

BTW, you can also do the same with nocks that are already installed without harming the shafts.

Attached Images

• DSC01583.JPG
  • DSC01584.JPG

Edited by Moon, 05 September 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#12 Tenn. Equinox

Tenn. Equinox

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

here's some good advice- don't shoot plastic nocks in a Striker 380 :thumbsd:

#13 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

here's some good advice- don't shoot plastic nocks in a Striker 380 :thumbsd:

To add to good advice, and the Desert Stryker as well as the Strykeforce.

#14 almighty1

almighty1

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSE PA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

So who will be the first to manufacture a lighted aluminum nock? You know you want them!

John