View New Content Mark all as read |  

Lube the rail?

• Please log in to reply

#1 wvspeck

wvspeck

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:04 PM

I understand that you must wax the string. I thought I read that it was not necessary to lube the rail. Do you guys use the parker wax and lube? If so, are you lube the whole rail? Whereever i read it at, said that the string does not touch the rail so the lube was not necessary. So, are you all using both or just the wax?

#2 Franklin7x57

Franklin7x57

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

lube the rail, wax the string. Don't wax the center serving.

#3 wvspeck

wvspeck

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

Question: Should I lubricate the rails on my Parker crossbow?
Answer: The Short answer is “no, you don’t need to lubricate the rails on your Parker crossbow”. In fact, on earlier models with a Speed Track rail installed, some lubricants can cause the adhesive holding those tracks to fail and the rails to come off. Parker crossbows are designed with little or no string pressure on the rail so the serving does not wear as it’s being shot. Therefore the rail does not need to be lubed. *It should be noted that the new Red Hot rail lube will not damage the adhesive on earlier Speed Track bows. While it will not necessarily reduce string wear it can smooth up the release action of the latch against the string.

Found this on Parker"s web site

#4 robertyb

robertyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:38 PM

Question: Should I lubricate the rails on my Parker crossbow?
Answer: The Short answer is “no, you don’t need to lubricate the rails on your Parker crossbow”. In fact, on earlier models with a Speed Track rail installed, some lubricants can cause the adhesive holding those tracks to fail and the rails to come off. Parker crossbows are designed with little or no string pressure on the rail so the serving does not wear as it’s being shot. Therefore the rail does not need to be lubed. *It should be noted that the new Red Hot rail lube will not damage the adhesive on earlier Speed Track bows. While it will not necessarily reduce string wear it can smooth up the release action of the latch against the string.

Found this on Parker"s web site

Hmmmm. My Buckbuster 175 string servings have worn flattened out spots on both sides where they run the rails. I thought this was normal. Is it not normal?

#5 wvspeck

wvspeck

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm not sure. Maybe call Parker

#6 rich250

rich250

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSE. PA.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:14 AM

Hmmmm. My Buckbuster 175 string servings have worn flattened out spots on both sides where they run the rails. I thought this was normal. Is it not normal?

those flat spots are more then likely from the trigger fingers not from the rail and that is normal

Edited by rich250, 19 August 2011 - 06:17 AM.

#7 callmaker60

callmaker60

• Banned
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Parker sells lube and wax, so I guess you have to lube the rail.

#8 bryman021

bryman021

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

I don't know if its normal, but my tomahawk's center serving is also wearing flat from riding the rail. Its definetely from the rail and not the latch, because I have been watching it closely to see what is causing it.

As for the parkers not having much string pressure on the rail, well IDK about other models but my tomahawk appears to have quite a bit of pressure on it. I bought and use the parker wax and lube kit. I put the rail lube on every 10-15 shots when target shooting. I only use a small amount applied with the applicator tip and then spread it out the length of the rail with my fingertip. It almost seems to me that the rail lube softens the center serving and might be causing the flat spots, that is just a guess though so who knows really... Anyway my serving is not separating or anything so I'm not too worried about it.

#9 RICKD

RICKD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

Parkers website and their owners manual have a few contradictory statements and this leads to confusion. Their videos tell you one thing and their manuals tell you something else. I understand that they are working on making the corrections. The video they sent with my Tornado and my Hornet tells you how, where and why you should lube the rail. I lube my rails before each use and sometimes during a practice session.
  • rampage likes this

#10 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,597 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

I lube the entire string sparingly using Dalton's String Conditioner. Lubing the serving is important because the strands UNDER the serving are under considerable pressure and chafe against each other there as well. Flat spots caused by latches are likely due to kind of serving material used and how it's applied, not by wax softening the serving. My serving separation days are long gone, since I started using Angel Majesty and Halo serving material and applying it very, very tightly. Dalton's has the added benefit of lubing the deck so other lube isn't necessary. I do clean the deck occasionally - wax buildup is a speed killer - by spraying Jig A Loo or Silicone onto a rag and wiping deck with it, after allowing the carrying agent to dissipate.

#11 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,597 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Parkers website and their owners manual have a few contradictory statements and this leads to confusion. Their videos tell you one thing and their manuals tell you something else. I understand that they are working on making the corrections. The video they sent with my Tornado and my Hornet tells you how, where and why you should lube the rail. I lube my rails before each use and sometimes during a practice session.

The confusion may have been caused by some of Parker's bows having Teflon strips glued onto the rails. The carrying agent of some spray-on deck lubes caused the strips to unglue..and remove the stock finish. I might add.

#12 Lamplighter

Lamplighter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationAbita Springs, Louisiana

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'm using a dab of Scorpion rail lube from Wvyern's , on my Hornet extreme. I also served with HALO , had my serve tool scaled at #13 pull off the spool. Everything is fine.

#13 RICKD

RICKD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

The confusion may have been caused by some of Parker's bows having Teflon strips glued onto the rails. The carrying agent of some spray-on deck lubes caused the strips to unglue..and remove the stock finish. I might add.

Cossack

Yes, you are correct. I wouldn't chance that with my Hornet. That's why I use their product exclusively. Just follow their instruction DVD and they can't complain if you have a warranty issue.

#14 Forestclimber

Forestclimber

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationS.E. Indiana

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

My Tomahawk DVD recommends lube.

#15 Forestclimber

Forestclimber

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationS.E. Indiana

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

I have my crossbow put together. There seems to be a good amount of pressure from the rail on the string. I bought the Parker lubes for the rail and string. Tomorrow I sight it in! Thanks for all your comments.

#16 rich250

rich250

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSE. PA.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Got my son a tomahawk and it's string defenitely rides hard on the rail as apposed to prior parker bows,I keep the rail lubed well with jigaloo, hopefully it helps with wear but the string already is worn flat on the bottom with just 40 - 50 shots through it.when the factory string is shot I will be putting a viperx string on it.