Barnett Crank Cocking Device on Ghost 400

• Please log in to reply

#1 BaseCamp

BaseCamp

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

Has anyone else had trouble using the Barnett crank? I put one on my Ghost 400 and the press fit pin that controls the cranking fell out. It is also suppose to prevent the crank from unwinding.

First time I tried cocking my Ghost, the crank got stuck on the pin and then it released unexpectedly nearly breaking my thumb.

Is this just a defect or or all the cranking devices like this?

I just dropped it off at a pro shop to make sure that the crank is installed correctly. The pin is bent and probably toast.

#2 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

To tell you the truth...i hav'nt had any trouble with my device except for it seperating servings...which i don't use any more just the pull rope...you must of had a defected one or something just went wrong when installing it...Thunderbolt

#3 BaseCamp

BaseCamp

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

To tell you the truth...i hav'nt had any trouble with my device except for it seperating servings...which i don't use any more just the pull rope...you must of had a defected one or something just went wrong when installing it...Thunderbolt

Thanks for the reply. I have my local pro shop checking it out. It appears that the pin sheared off inside the gear mechanism which caused it to unwind. Barnett is shipping me a free replacement component. It was also damaging the serving, maybe need to smooth out the hooks. I have the rope cocker but it seems a little to long for me, would prefer a shorter rope.

Thanks

#4 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

Shorten the rope up...just by putting knots in the rope...Thunderbolt

#5 BaseCamp

BaseCamp

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

That is a great idea. Thanks

#6 celticwolf210

celticwolf210

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Locationbremen,georgia

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

i just got the crank cocking device for my predator and was wondering if it's normal for it to separate the servings alittle. It's not a bad separation but i don't like it anyway. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

#7 DocR

DocR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Minnesota

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Celticwolf210 Barnett just does have good servings, they will separate on you. Use your fingers to push the servings back into place every time you see a separation. Finding a better string or cable to but on there xbows, is not number one on the Barnett things to do list. They need to redesign the hook to fit the string at the end of pull. I don't care how big they would have to build it to redesign it, as long as it did not eat up the servings.

#8 DocR

DocR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Minnesota

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

I had to go back and find this post. If Barnett wants to see a good set of hooks, go to Topic #16042 Homemade Russian Crossbow by Gunsmith11 dated Nov-23- 2011.
That design hook should not hurt the servings at all. It is on my list of things to do to find someone to make a set up like this!

#9 stm

stm

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationStratford, CT

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

I also shortened it by adding another knot down the string, works great on my C5. I also have the knot where I can have just enough tension on the device so that when I walk into the woods I have the cocker in place in case I walk up on a deer while heading to my stand. I use the extra string to wrap aroung the thumb hole in case it gets dislodge when walk through brush. TKS, STM.

#10 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

With the original stings and serving, my Wildcat C5 is pushing a little past 900 shots... My serving separated when I used the rope cocker and my serving separates when using the Crank Cocker. Solution -- just push the serving back in place, very simple fix. It's the same with my recently purchased Buck Commander, (150 shots), using the rope cocker, the Server separates... I haven't installed the Crank Cocker yet, but I expect it will behave as does the C5... simple fix... avoid putting wax on the Serving, and if it separates, push it back together.

Works for me so far!

Corky

Edited by Corky, 26 May 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#11 barnettxbows400

barnettxbows400

Barnett Representative

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Sounds like you may need a new spool catch for your crank cocking device. The part number is 17031CL and you can call 727-234-4999 and speak with someone in customer service. We would be happy to send that part out to you. Thanks,

-Rob