Carrying your Crossbow in the Woods

• Please log in to reply

#1 Old Hoosier

Old Hoosier

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationJASPER COUNTY, INDIANA

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Being new to the world of a crossbow, I was wondering just how do you carry your crossbow in the woods? How do you keep it from getting snagged on everything especially the way the quiver and bolts are positioned? I wear a daypack when I am hunting, and am wondering if I can still sling the crossbow at the same time? I am shopping for a crossbow tomorrow. So shortly will be an owner. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 mchech

mchech

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

I share your pain. After 3 years I haven't figured out an easy way to carry my Exomax to my ground blind. I usually cock my xbow at the truck and sling it upside down ( butt stock up). It has always made a clumsy carry because of my quiver being attached. This year I am going to strap my quiver to my daypack and try carrying limbs up as I don't leave the quiver attached while in the blind anyway. No matter how it is like carrying a tuba through the woods. It is just one of those xbow negatives that we must learn to tolerate. I'm lucky that I have open trails to travel in and out of my blinds and no brush to navigate.

#3 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

I carry it on a sling with my back pack while wearing my Hunters safety harness and my arrows are strapped in my back pack....and if i'm taking the quad it's on the front bow rack... :thumbsu:

#4 SScott

SScott

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

It can be a pain, but in all honesty, I don't find it any harder than when I dragged my 68 inch longbow through woods, so I guess it's the price I pay for the items I prefer to shoot. I have less problems with a sling, but I don't wear a back pack. Actually, the crossbow might be easier than the longbow, as my quiver snagging was a constant pain for me.

#5 Eddienc99

Eddienc99

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

I Carry Mine the same way I would a rifle or shotgun, two handed in front of me slow going through but I'm generrally pussy footing my way to the stand anyhow... Theres no rush beside you definaitly want to be quiet going in. And if theres a lot of dry leaves or other noisy footing I shuffle my feet to mimic a couple squirells...

#6 jdmax

jdmax

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

Do a search on here and you will find different ways. The best way I have found is the way "Moon" on here carries his. It is absolutely comfortable and never in the way. Hopefully he will chime in. You need to search Moon and crossbow slings and you should find it.
JDMAX

#7 scumhunter

scumhunter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

Sling mine like a rifle. Don't have any issues unless going under a low branch.

Edited by scumhunter, 19 October 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#8 NHmsj

NHmsj

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern NH

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:18 AM

I shoot a TenPoint GT Flex (a recurve) and I have no problem getting through the woods with it - and that because I don't use a bow mounted quiver. What a pain those front mounted bow quivers are! I use a satchel-like bag to carry all my "stuff" and I have attached my Quickie Quiver bracket to the cover flap. whereas I slip the bag's carry strap over my head onto my left shoulder with the bag riding on my right hip (or as most times, pushed further along to the small of my back and even more out of the way) my arrows are handy to my right hand. I guess it's much like a hip quiver, but I still can carry all my gear at my hip for ready access too. Since I can push the bag behind me when needed, the quiver doesn't hang up on anything when trudging through cover. It works out nicely.

msj

#9 essublime

essublime

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:58 AM

Do a search on here and you will find different ways. The best way I have found is the way "Moon" on here carries his. It is absolutely comfortable and never in the way. Hopefully he will chime in. You need to search Moon and crossbow slings and you should find it.
JDMAX

X2. That's the way to go.

#10 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,475 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

I carry mine on a sling upside down. Made the sling longer so I can get it over my head not just off-shoulder. Day pack, fanny pack type, is worn in front if used. The HSS vest gives my extra pockets for range finder etc so no pack needed when wearing it.

#11 Treehugger

Treehugger

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Locationmorriston, fla

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:30 AM

Carry mine like a shotgun on my shoulder limb up up and down no snagging

#12 ynot

ynot

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:37 PM

carry mine on single point sling attached at but stock, and like every one said slowly.

#13 fireguy

fireguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationB.C.

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image

This is how I pack my crossbow on long hikes

#14 ynot

ynot

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I choose a single point shoulder sling, attached to stock from one point like the army hangs there rifles, use no metal parts, sits in shoulder ready for business. and as for bolts I choose a hip quiver., from 3rivers i believe. bolts sit just back near back pocket , bow supported by sling gives instant hands free ability, andwhile its in front of you its easally kept from any obstructions.

#15 rugertattoo

rugertattoo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

carry mine ready to shoulder and shoot. i wear a cat quiver on my back.

#16 scumhunter

scumhunter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:17 PM

This is how I pack my crossbow on long hikes

Fireguy - That is an awesome view (the lake, not your backside). I know it's easy to forget how lucky you are when you are surrounded with beauty every day. That would be a hunt of a lifetime for those of us way south of you!

#17 donho

donho

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:18 PM

This topic is of great intersts to me. Since I have never been out with my crossbow yet.

The easiet way of carrying for me seem to be with the sling, buttstock up.
But the mounted quiver does get in the way. i do not bring a backpack, so putting the quiver in one would be out.

I might move the position of the mount and see if it is more comfortable. Thank god my stands are not that far from from where I park.

Do you guys who use the sling, climb into the tree with the crossbow slung on your back? or do you use a bow roap to pull it up?

#18 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

Being new to the world of a crossbow, I was wondering just how do you carry your crossbow in the woods? How do you keep it from getting snagged on everything especially the way the quiver and bolts are positioned? I wear a daypack when I am hunting, and am wondering if I can still sling the crossbow at the same time? I am shopping for a crossbow tomorrow. So shortly will be an owner. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out the Ready x bow sling. At the C/N nation store. It is wonderful.

#19 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

www.xbowbuddy.com seems to be the place to get one. It is well worth the $$$$$

#20 Buckeye_Bowhunter

Buckeye_Bowhunter

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

I don't use a sling. I take the bow by the stock, turn it sideways, and rest it on my shoulder so the stock sits flat (with the scope pointing out) and the limbs point up and down behind my back. Then I just keep a hand on the stock for balance and start walking.

If you're looking for a sling though...I reccomend a Claw sling. I use one for my waterfowl/turkey gun and it doesn't slide around.