View New Content Mark all as read |  

Eastman 300DX

• Please log in to reply

#1 dyeclan

dyeclan

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

I picked up one of these for $150 from a guy on ARFCOM. I am trading it to my taxidermist brother for a head mount, and would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. Any thing to look for or are they good to go? Granted, I'm not expecting a miracle for the money, but Gander Mtn. had them listed at 300 on sale, so original price had them up there with some nice bows. Any info would be appreciated.

#2 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

The trigger assembly and the riser/limbs are made by Darton.
Which in my humble (?) is very nice stuff.
On the other hand, I do not know who is making the stock. It does have a Darton'ish look to it...but...

I'd bet, overall, it's a nice upper/lower end crossbow.

Mike

#3 dyeclan

dyeclan

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the input Mike, I'll post some thoughts on it after some shootin.

#4 kmrcstintn

kmrcstintn

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

http://crossbownatio...read.php?t=4112

original post is an honest review; my followup is a bit biased against them, but I'm starting to like mine a little more each time I handle/fire it; compared to some other offerings in this price range it is built like a tank; it is a bit slower than I anticipated using 425gr bolt/tip combo (mine chronoed @ 271 fps w/ 425 bolt/tip combo vs their 'advertised' 300 fps using 375gr bolt/tip combo ~~ Sportsman's Warehouse claims 312 fps in their ad selling a noncamo variant); my main complaint is still the stiff trigger dynamics...feels like a 15lb trigger pull w/ harsh release (gotta lube it w/o getting too much oil in mechanism to attract dust-n-dirt)

the durability of their quad limb design is hopefully better than those used by Barnett (quad 400 model limb problems posted under the barnett section); the overall quality is higher than chinese offerings, but not as hearty as Parkers or Hortons costing only $100 more; they are manufactured by Darton, which eases my mind since I know who builds them for Eastman Outfitters

they have a 'fair' warranty (5 years for limbs, 10 years for riser, 10 years for stock & trigger assembly) which is much better than Barnett's '1 year for everything' warranty and somewhat better than Horton's 3 year on 'non-laminated' limb models; the quiver/mount isn't top rate & the mounting plate is molded to fit the rounded bottom part of the stock, hence trying to attach a different brand might prove futile...I'm trying to get some info on this since I want a more sturdy quiver in the future;

they are HEAVY at 8 lbs, but it is due to the SOLID injection molded stock & the riser/limb pockets/ foot stirrup are machined aluminum...hence, built like a tank! hope this feedback helps you

Edited by kmrcstintn, 09 November 2009 - 05:59 PM.