View New Content Mark all as read |  

Barnett Jackal problem with safety

• Please log in to reply

#1 Nebraskabowhunter

Nebraskabowhunter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:29 PM

I have a Barnett Jackal CB that I just love. It is accurate and easy to use for left and right handers. My problem started after about 50 shots, the safety will not always disengage. It appears to be the Anti dri fire mechanism not letting the safety lever move forward. I talked to Barnett and they told me to "slam" the arrow home to release it. That is noisy in the field and lights my Luminoc's as well. Anybody else have any problems or a solution. Thanks

#2 SFA Member

SFA Member

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

Hi Nebraskabowhunter
I am having the same problem with my Wildcat.
I purchased 12 Carbon Express arrows with half moon nocks and found that none of them would release the anti-dry fire mechanism so I have tried to alter the groove with a small round file then sandpaper.
It seems to work but has anybody else got any better ideas ?

Regards SFA Member

Edited by SFA Member, 09 October 2011 - 03:56 AM.

#3 skinman

skinman

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

I'm having the same problem with my new Wildcat. Seems like one of my bolts isnt bad but the others need to slid back very hard.

#4 vaguru

vaguru

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

Firstly I suggest that when you cock the bow you pull back a little bit more after you hear the click of the trigger and safety setting. This moves the safety lever all the way back to its set position, allowing the ADF a little bit of space to lift up when you insert the arrow. Some nocks are a bit short and even those that are not can get some wear on the end from handling. Done this way there should be no problem.

I always pull the cocking rope up firmly in order to create that little gap between the ADF lever and the safety. If not the ADF bears on the safety and binds, making it difficult to lift it with the nock.

Next time you encounter this issue, try this. Recock the bow with the rope and pull up firmly. If this solves the issue, then you are just not pulling hard enough when cocking. If it doesn't, inspect you nocks for wear that impedes them from lifting the ADF lever. The ADF lever should move freely when cocked.

Hope this helps.

#5 threefletch

threefletch

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

I have a Barnett Jackal CB that I just love. It is accurate and easy to use for left and right handers. My problem started after about 50 shots, the safety will not always disengage. It appears to be the Anti dri fire mechanism not letting the safety lever move forward. I talked to Barnett and they told me to "slam" the arrow home to release it. That is noisy in the field and lights my Luminoc's as well. Anybody else have any problems or a solution. Thanks

Wellcome to the nation. I wouldn't "slam" an arrow home in the crossbow. You could get seriously hurt if it were to disengage and let go. Re-pulling the string back farther worked the best for my brother's Jackal. I've had to do the same with my predator. I trained myself to listaen for the two clicks at the end of cocking and then go a tad bit more. It seemed toremdy the problem. I'm from South central Nebraska, 8 miles North of the Kansas border. What town you close to?

#6 Nebraskabowhunter

Nebraskabowhunter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for all the replys. I have been trying to cock it farther back than I had been and it seems to be working better.
ThreeFletch I live in Grand Island, Ne.
:sword:
I will try to attach a pic of my doe that I got with the CB.

Attached Images

• Crossbowdoe2small.jpg

Edited by Nebraskabowhunter, 10 October 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#7 Nebraskabowhunter

Nebraskabowhunter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Wellcome to the nation. I wouldn't "slam" an arrow home in the crossbow. You could get seriously hurt if it were to disengage and let go. Re-pulling the string back farther worked the best for my brother's Jackal. I've had to do the same with my predator. I trained myself to listaen for the two clicks at the end of cocking and then go a tad bit more. It seemed toremdy the problem. I'm from South central Nebraska, 8 miles North of the Kansas border. What town you close to?

I live in Grand Island, NE.

#8 Nikenat02

Nikenat02

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

Firstly I suggest that when you cock the bow you pull back a little bit more after you hear the click of the trigger and safety setting. This moves the safety lever all the way back to its set position, allowing the ADF a little bit of space to lift up when you insert the arrow. Some nocks are a bit short and even those that are not can get some wear on the end from handling. Done this way there should be no problem.

I always pull the cocking rope up firmly in order to create that little gap between the ADF lever and the safety. If not the ADF bears on the safety and binds, making it difficult to lift it with the nock.

Next time you encounter this issue, try this. Recock the bow with the rope and pull up firmly. If this solves the issue, then you are just not pulling hard enough when cocking. If it doesn't, inspect you nocks for wear that impedes them from lifting the ADF lever. The ADF lever should move freely when cocked.

Hope this helps.

I have done all of this and the string automatically gets held up in the ADF Lever. Is something broke?

Attached Images

• IMG_1781.JPG

#9 sadalius

sadalius

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Nikenat02, can you get the string safely released from the position that its in? If so, ease the string down and try cocking it again and see if it gets caught up again, if it does, take it in to be looked at. If you can get it safely let down, you'll need to take it in anyway. Then they can check the whole mechanism. The key here is working safely. You don't want to create a dry fire situation to where you or someone else might get injured. I could be wrong, but it looks as though your either not pulling the string far enough back or possibly lifting up on the string while cocking it causing it to get caught up in the ADF. First thing I would check is to try pulling the string as far back as possible to see if you can clear it of the ADF.

#10 Nikenat02

Nikenat02

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

Nikenat02, can you get the string safely released from the position that its in? If so, ease the string down and try cocking it again and see if it gets caught up again, if it does, take it in to be looked at. If you can get it safely let down, you'll need to take it in anyway. Then they can check the whole mechanism. The key here is working safely. You don't want to create a dry fire situation to where you or someone else might get injured. I could be wrong, but it looks as though your either not pulling the string far enough back or possibly lifting up on the string while cocking it causing it to get caught up in the ADF. First thing I would check is to try pulling the string as far back as possible to see if you can clear it of the ADF.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. That expains it. I am now certain the ADF is broke. I can see that something has been broken off on the ADF. I will get is sent off hopefully today! Im not going to even mess with fixing it myself.

I have pulled and pulled on the strings. I guarantee i have pulled it far enough back and yes with assistance I can pull the strings back and get help pushing the ADF up and letting the strings down safely.

Thank again.

#11 sadalius

sadalius

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hate to hear that your not being able to enjoy your xbow, but at least you'll be able to get it fixed and be able to enjoy it.

#12 Blackhawk690

Blackhawk690

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Alabama

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

last year i made up some arrows, and used Aluminum half moon knocks, i noticed the ends tapper, so i had to build up the ends of my knocks that touch the little black thing when you slide the arrow in place so that the safety will allow the system to work, So with that said, you may have shot your arrow enough to wear a flat spot and you too might need to put some epoxy on the knock. i did mine and they work great.... as to a comment i read about slamming the arrow in place i think was a figure of speech, they should have said ensure the arrow is bottomed out with the string. no need to pile drive it in there, just mess something else up.

my 2 cents