View New Content Mark all as read |  

Bone Collector stock failure

• Please log in to reply

#1 deerfoot

deerfoot

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

I ordered my first crossbow from Cabela a month before the season opening. The Bone Collector looked great. The spring would not hold the arrow securely, so I called Horton, after an hour on hold they told me to bend it and sent another spring in case that didn't work. After another dozen shots, I found that the scope could not be adjusted enough to bring the arrows up to the target. I also found two verticle cracks in the plactic stock at the receiver bolt. This was causing the scope to rise up. Cabela replaced the bow, but the replacement cracked in the same place afer 8 shots. I called Horton and after another hour on hold was told that they were aware of the problem and would send a replacement stock. I was told that stocks made overseas were bad, but the American made replacement would be OK. Well the replacement came today and it is a Brotherhood stock. Deer season opens next week and I am out of time and out of confidence in Horton. Horton Customer Service has been courteous and as helpfull as they could be, but I don't want to send another hour on hold and still not have bow for the season. Cabela is sending me a diferent brand crossbow.

#2 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

Sorry to hear of the trouble with yer 1st choice CB. Through the yrs i found it was always better to get a dependable Brand & model. Then look around fer a faster Brand model to play with, cause its going to mess up, they always do

#3 georgiaboy

georgiaboy

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the horton!!
Best advice i can give...EXCALIBUR :sword:

#4 Buckeye_Bowhunter

Buckeye_Bowhunter

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Deerfoot...did you see if Horton would replace your bow altogether? Maybe with another one of their models?

#5 deerfoot

deerfoot

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Deerfoot...did you see if Horton would replace your bow altogether? Maybe with another one of their models?

I didn't ask them. I would have been satisfied with the Bone Collector if I could have gotten one that worked. It is much quicker to let Cabela take care of the problem than to wait for Horton. Cabela would have sent me another Bone Collector or upgraded to another Horton model. They were also willing to upgrade to another brand.

#6 deerfoot

deerfoot

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

This should be my final word on my problems with a Horton. I received a replacement brand in two days from Cabela. It cost another $50 and is 50 fps slower, but that is ok if it is dependable. I don’t have any connection to Cabela, don’t even buy much from them, but they were great. As for Horton they made two defective bows, sent me the wrong part, don’t return calls or e-Mails and kept me on hold for three hours in all. Other than that as far as I know they are a fine company. Perhaps the defective stock is not too widespread since all of the replies are condolences, (which I appreciate) and not “mine too“.

From reading other posts it appears that a significant number of crossbows fail when they are brand new. This seems to be a problem for several of the companies. It is probably the nature of the product, because some defects in limbs, stocks and even strings can’t be seen until the bow has been shot a few times. This makes it very important to consider, as Tom Horne said, “what to do if everything goes wrong”. If you buy directly from the manufacturer, you are at their mercy. The same thing is true of internet sellers and some local retailers that expect you to use the warranty for initial defects. If you buy from a local retailer or mail-order store with a policy and a reputation for accepting returns and correcting problems you have double coverage. If you can’t work it out with the store you still have the warranty, it may just take longer and be a lot more aggravating.

#7 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 18 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

deerfoot the defects you speak off with the new crossbows are a result of poor and fast design. Many manufactures rush to market without really understanding the materials and never really TEST as they should. Most of the new models that will appear for 2012 are still on the drawing board rather than in the field being shot like you would think and hope.

That my friend is the inside scoop and how its done at most places. Choose your manufacture (or assembler in many cases) wisely.

#8 deerfoot

deerfoot

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

A quick follow-up. I recieved the replacement, a WR Warrior a few days before the season opened. It shoots great and I killed a 100# doe yesterday. She went about 200yds, but Sport, a rat terrier trailed her right up.