scorpyd 165 or pse tac15i ???

• Please log in to reply

#1 revans

revans

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hello All,
Im thinking of buying a xbow but cannot make up my mind on the scorpyd 165 or the Pse TAC 15i ?
Ive heard that the PSE tac have some problems with the runners? on the other hand theres good reviews on the scorpyd (but there hard to find)
Which one is the most accurate , does anyone have experience of either or both.thanks rhys

#2 Super 91

Super 91

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSW Virginia

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I have experience (own or owned) both a Scorpyd Telson 130 and a PSE TAC-15. I still own the TAC-15 but the Scorpyd was a fine bow as well. I had a few issues with the Scorpyd, but I think that has been addressed and taken care of at this point.

As far as which one is more accurate? Both. It is a little harder to find good arrows for the Scorpyd, but new offerings are coming available all the time so that will be a non-issue soon. I like the feel and balance of the Scorpyd, but it is still a bit heavy. Well constructed and will last a long time.

I like the PSE for other reasons as it is long and harder to maneuver, but I like you crank it back and can let it down without shooting it. I find mine to be deathly accurate at extended ranges. There are plenty of other reasons. I think the best thing would be to get your hands one both of them and compare them. See which one fits or feels best for you.

#3 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

I have not shot the PSE.

The arrows for the 165 are not a problem. The AramidKV or it's replacement arrow from Carbon Express shoot fine. CE changed names on that shaft but it's the same arrow. If you're using it for hunting then the 165 is a more compact xbow. The crank down and crank up on the PSE has good points but it's another thing to break or take time and make movement on loading. I take a target with me on hunts and just shoot one into it at the end of the day.

Like the post above try to find both and see which is best for you.

#4 offshorebandit

offshorebandit

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Locationtampa bay area florida

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

i have shot the tac15 and it is a good target bow and shoots well and very accurate.i own two scorpyds the 165 and telson 130 and love them both,,, im a hunter and the tac15 is like 4 foot long or atleast it felt that way to me,, shooting the aramids kv's w/125gr field point and holding 2" groups at 60 yds. on the 165 and laser 2 w/125gr field point on telson 130 and shooting 2" groups at 50 yds.. i would recommend any crossbow the will hold those tight groups,,, but i love my scorpyds and would highly recommend anyone considering purchasing one !!

#5 revans

revans

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

Thanks! From what I can gather is that the pse is the safe
Option, but sometimes it's good to take a gamble !
Saying that ,both have their good and bad points,
I like the ratchet on the pse with the runner also the reversed limbs on the scorpyd! If for taget shooting would the pse more appropriate ?

#6 deerboy

deerboy

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSouthWest

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hello All,
Im thinking of buying a xbow but cannot make up my mind on the scorpyd 165 or the Pse TAC 15i ?
Ive heard that the PSE tac have some problems with the runners? on the other hand theres good reviews on the scorpyd (but there hard to find)
Which one is the most accurate , does anyone have experience of either or both.thanks rhys

You've gotten great feedback... but one thing no one has really addressed is that both the Tac and the 165 beat up targets pretty bad at 400 and 420 fps respectively. The bolts from both would take a bit more of a beating as well IMHO. That's why I chose the Telson 130. At 390 fps it's still SCREAMING fast but takes off enough juice to not bully the target and bolts so badly. On the other hand the winding crank on the PSE has got to be a bunch more fun than rope-cocking the Scorpyd like I'm doing now. I think I had the FIRST online vid review of the Telson 130 under my youtube name: darkhorse2reign . Check them out (I have 3 vids on the Telson). I'm actually thinking long and hard on a PSE... it's just another toy but would be fun to shoot. If I can get my hands on a cocking sled for my Telson It'd be more fun to shoot no doubt. As it is it's plenty accurate for target or hunting and smooth as silk, FAST and quiet like a mousey. Hope that helps.

#7 revans

revans

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:23 AM

Thanks for that ! I guess that the tac is more accurate simply that it's basically used off the bipod , where as the scorpyd has better balance, it's a tough choce to make?
Also think that the scorpyd is a better construction or ore solid ( less to go wrong) well that's my way of thinking ,
It's just a awkward choice there's bad and good things in both of them

#8 kgpope

kgpope

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCleveland Ohio

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

did you end up with a scorpyd or tac

#9 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

You've gotten great feedback... but one thing no one has really addressed is that both the Tac and the 165 beat up targets pretty bad at 400 and 420 fps respectively. The bolts from both would take a bit more of a beating as well IMHO. That's why I chose the Telson 130. At 390 fps it's still SCREAMING fast but takes off enough juice to not bully the target and bolts so badly. On the other hand the winding crank on the PSE has got to be a bunch more fun than rope-cocking the Scorpyd like I'm doing now. I think I had the FIRST online vid review of the Telson 130 under my youtube name: darkhorse2reign . Check them out (I have 3 vids on the Telson). I'm actually thinking long and hard on a PSE... it's just another toy but would be fun to shoot. If I can get my hands on a cocking sled for my Telson It'd be more fun to shoot no doubt. As it is it's plenty accurate for target or hunting and smooth as silk, FAST and quiet like a mousey. Hope that helps.

Not if you buy the right targets. I've got NO issues whatsoever with broadheads or field points. I was thinking of a tac but, there just might be something else that has my undivided attention. 5 days will tell.
c-t

Edited by crappie-tom, 05 January 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#10 deerboy

deerboy

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSouthWest

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Thanks for that ! I guess that the tac is more accurate simply that it's basically used off the bipod , where as the scorpyd has better balance, it's a tough choce to make?
Also think that the scorpyd is a better construction or ore solid ( less to go wrong) well that's my way of thinking ,
It's just a awkward choice there's bad and good things in both of them

I've got both bows now. Well all three really. Tough tough choice man. Love my Telson. And when I can keep the 10i running, it's a dream to shoot and crank and shoot and crank with that HUGE scope. really fun! But the Telson has been utterly reliable while the 10i keeps frustrating me. It should be known that other PSE owners haven't had these issues so "your mileage may vary". I have only pulled the trigger on my 15 once - and promptly splattered a perfectly good arrow... totally my fault though.

Like you said the the TACs are a "safe bet" while the Telson or Scorpyd is a very SOLID choice without any shadow of a doubt.

You might consider ONE more thing. In the vid I just shot of the TACs + Parker + Telson I used the Parker as a reference bow. I have not edited or released the vid yet. All I can tell you is that it performed how any "no frills" solid bow from a reputable manufacturer would be expected to perform. Think about it... if you got cash to burn by all means burn enough to keep warm on a frigid night, otherwise there are fantastic bows around that will probably perform up to your expectations.

Edited by deerboy, 06 January 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#11 deerboy

deerboy

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSouthWest

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

Not if you buy the right targets. I've got NO issues whatsoever with broadheads or field points. I was thinking of a tac but, there just might be something else that has my undivided attention. 5 days will tell.
c-t

of course you're correct. I'm looking to buy a spyderweb target. No stores carry this target that I could see... just haven't ordered it yet online but looking fwd to it no doubt! BTW C-T what are you looking to get?

#12 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationNEPA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

of course you're correct. I'm looking to buy a spyderweb target. No stores carry this target that I could see... just haven't ordered it yet online but looking fwd to it no doubt! BTW C-T what are you looking to get?

I'll let you know in 4 more days. By the way I don't have a Spyderweb and, probably won't. I need a target for 500fps. Only one I know of will work.
c-tPosted Image

#13 H&S Archer

H&S Archer

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPort Huron, Mi

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

HOW TALL are you or much of a reach do you have. If its under 72" look more at the scorpyd if it over 72" the Tac has some real advantages.

#14 deerboy

deerboy

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSouthWest

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

HOW TALL are you or much of a reach do you have. If its under 72" look more at the scorpyd if it over 72" the Tac has some real advantages.

I'm 69 inches tall and probably closer to 68 which is 5ft 8inches. My "reach" for my Telson should be "short" but I have long arms so reaching over to cock the bow without folding the stock works fine for me and is convenient and fast but not really that comfortable. The TAC has an advantage in that department for sure. I should purchase a cocking sled and that would really make things less awkward and quicker for the Telson.

#15 deerboy

deerboy

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSouthWest

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

I'll let you know in 4 more days. By the way I don't have a Spyderweb and, probably won't. I need a target for 500fps. Only one I know of will work.
c-tPosted Image

---> HA! I have guessed your evil plot! Took me awhile but putting 2 and 2 together I think i know... you speed demons are SICK! :goodjob: ... I'm happy for you but you better show good vids and pics son! :cigar:

#16 deerboy

deerboy

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationSouthWest

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

c-t

WHAT target are you currently using and what are you thinking of going to? Help me out man... I need something I KNOW will stop my TAC 15 and has easy arrow removal. kind of tired of yanking and pulling to get arrows out of my crossbow block. I'm not certain I missed the target but I'm not exactly sure either when i splattered an arrow from my tac (pretty sure I missed due to the damage). The arrow is moving so fast at 25 yards that you pull the trigger and it's there already. Even my Telson at 390... there's a perceivable difference.

#17 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Revans, you could buy both and send me the one you dont like. Hey, it was just an idea. :devil: