View New Content Mark all as read |  

Modifying Hou Shiueh 150lb crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 sculpty

sculpty

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Problems with the Hou Shiueh 150lb crossbow: Modify it to turn it into an accurate hunting crossbow.

The Hou Shiueh is a recurve crossbow. I purchased it with the view to do it up as I wanted to see if you can buy a budget crossbow and turn it into something special.

THE PROBLEMS: :mad::mad::mad:

BAD: The design of the bow has it's flaw in that it is placed below the rail/table. This puts too much pressure on the serving when firing, and results in poor serving life.

FIX: Change the angle of the bow by making new blocks (is it called a lath/bowstave?) that lift the serving height slightly.

BAD: The trigger design is VERY poor, requiring a lot of pressure to release.

FIX: Pull apart trigger mechanism and re-machine the angle of the trigger release.

BAD: The sight rail (thingy where the scope attaches) is poorly supported and it wouldn't take a lot to knock it out once sighted in.

FIX: Engineer extra supports for the sight rail.

LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE BUSY!!!

I will accept any advice anyone wants to give on doing this - I'm sure it is do-able, it'll just take some time and creativity!!!:D
Will post pics over time.
:cool:

Edited by sculpty, 18 December 2008 - 06:52 AM.

#2 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Remember....changing the angle of the bow will ONLY lighten the string pressure at full cock.
As the string travels down the track, the load will get higher and higer.

You want to see high string loads, check out a Stryker.

Mike

#3 sculpty

sculpty

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hey Mike,

As the bow has a double curve in it, a fair amount of pressure should be relieved even at the rest point for the serving on the rail. I hear you though, it will certainly increase along the stroke.

The Stryker doesn't look too bad :D the bow is centred with the rail where as with the Hou Shiueh the bow is located below the rail - a silly design, but one fixable.

Thanks so much Mike.

#4 sculpty

sculpty

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:21 AM

OK, I have put a new scope on the crossbow now, it is a 3-9x40mm Bushnell Banner scope with adjustable illuminated cross-hairs - Fantastic to use, I am very happy with it!!! Much better than the 4x20mm scope that came with the crossbow :ack2:

I have also machined the trigger so that it requires less pressure, and a consistent amount of pressure the whole stroke (technical term???). It has worked a real treat!

Photo's of the scope dwarfing the crossbow, he he he...

Before:
Posted Image

After:
Posted Image

:D:D:D

#5 sculpty

sculpty

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

He he he,

The trigger adjustment has worked better than I could have imagined!!!

#6 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:11 PM

Good to hear.
have fun with it.

Mike

#7 mobucks

mobucks

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCentral Missouri

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

I just purchased the same crossbow, and am curious as to how to mount a bolt quiver on it. I am new to this forum and crossbow's in general. Any help would be appreciated.

#8 sculpty

sculpty

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:11 PM

Welcome mobucks!!!

Well it is a sad day when another person has purchased a Hou Shiueh crossbow as they are at essence a pretty bad crossbow. However it will introduce you to the fundamentals of crossbowing and now that you have!...

I wouldn't bother trying to mount a quiver to the crossbow, it is possible to mount where the foot stirrup attaches with a bit of fiddling BUT with all my hunting I prefer to wear a leg quiver.

You will have some adjusting to do on your crossbow to make it more accurate, robust, and give it a smoother trigger action, so when you're up to it and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

All the best!

#9 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

Agreed.
I think Barnett has one that mounts crosswise to their bow...Hou Shiueh copied...

But as noted above, not nesessarally worth the effort.

Mike

#10 mobucks

mobucks

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationCentral Missouri

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the information. If I like crossbow's I will probably get a god one later. I thought that I might try one out first.

#11 tonez323

tonez323

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

I got one of these a few months ago not really knowing anything about crossbows. I just wanted something to shoot. I was wondering if anybody had any idea of what the cost would be to have mine modified at a shop as I don't have the equipment or know how to do it myself.

#12 marin

marin

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

modify it? only trigger. sculpty made it smoother. if it shoots good dont mess with it. i have seen deers harvested with that crossbow and they have not been modified. you may add scope on it. is not a bad bow. it is like barnett panzer 3 or wildcat. it has solid limbs. it is a good crossbow for the price.

Attached Images

• deerkill.jpg
  • deerkill.jpg

#13 tonez323

tonez323

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

I've gotta do something about the sight....it is flimsy as hell. Any suggestions?

#14 j.w.g.

j.w.g.

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

i would throw it away and go buy a manking off ebay shouts over 300fps compoubd bow is lighy 6.5 lb. has vidio of ma shooting elephant over i afacria.that not bad for a 220 dollar xbow. killed the elephant dead.

#15 j.w.g.

j.w.g.

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

sorry about my typing

#16 tonez323

tonez323

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

i would throw it away and go buy a manking off ebay shouts over 300fps compoubd bow is lighy 6.5 lb. has vidio of ma shooting elephant over i afacria.that not bad for a 220 dollar xbow. killed the elephant dead.

considering that I'm me and you're you...that was really insightful and helpful to the questions that I've asked. I'm glad there's one less elephant walking around, thanks to you.

#17 marin

marin

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

yea, right:rolleyes: ok you vere super lucky and bought 300fps crossbow for 220$ than with that speed you decided to hunt elephant. maybe your crossbow shoots 300fps with 1000grain arrow if so that is enough energy for elephant.:o:o dude from excal used fastest excal when hunted elephant and even with that equipment i think he had moral questions and i am not sure that elephant drop dead from arrow. and you are hunting elephants with 300fps crossbow that costs 220$:D:D:eek::eek::):o

#18 marin

marin

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

I've gotta do something about the sight....it is flimsy as hell. Any suggestions?

many people have scope on it

#19 cingold

cingold

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

yea, right:rolleyes: ok you vere super lucky and bought 300fps crossbow for 220$ than with that speed you decided to hunt elephant. maybe your crossbow shoots 300fps with 1000grain arrow if so that is enough energy for elephant.:o:o dude from excal used fastest excal when hunted elephant and even with that equipment i think he had moral questions and i am not sure that elephant drop dead from arrow. and you are hunting elephants with 300fps crossbow that costs 220$

I recently bought a crossbow for about that ammount, new, recurve and shoots about 300fps. Not with an elephant arrow in .900 excal special, but ya, it's a sweet shooter for the money and the trigger surprisely smooth. :o

I doubt Bill T had moral issues when shooting that elephant. We had a discussion about that some time ago and what morality is behind it, no need to go there again (use search function :o) BTW, the bowhunting fraternity in RSA recommends a 800 grain arrow and 105ft/lbs for elephant, not so difficult to achieve. Check out the elephant recipes in the Grill section :)

I think I get what j.w.g. wants to say about a second hand crossbow. His $220 are just an example I assume. If he saw an excalibur for $220 on Ebay, hell buy it quickly :)

Tonez, what would you like to modify on the xbow if I may ask? This Wildcat copy is nothing more than a fiberglass prod, Dacron string and some metal stock with plastic insert. You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey :eek: You can mount a quality scope, maybe talk Boo into making you a new string or even buy a Viper-X string here. They might both give you 2-3fps more speed and last much longer than the factory string. You can also paint the stock in camo as shown above. But that's it. It's still a 150lbs entry level crossbow that shoots an arrow from A to B. Don't get me wrong, it might be what you are looking for to fling some arrows in the backyard over the weekend or play around with the kids ("behind" the crossbow I hope :D) but for serious hunting I would suggest a serious crossbow. If you're lucky you find one for $220 in Ebay.

Stay friendly guys, life's too short to miss an elephant

#20 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

"cingold Quote, I think I get what j.w.g. wants to say about a second hand crossbow. His $220 are just an example I assume. If he saw an excalibur for $220 on Ebay, hell buy it quickly :)"

I got it as an example!,j.w.g.,never shot a Elephant,Stay friendly guys, life's too short:).