View New Content Mark all as read |  

Magnus Stinger/Buzzcut Report

• Please log in to reply

#1 dyeclan

dyeclan

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

This isn't really a detailed review but a report of my experience so far. I bought one package of 100 gr Stingers and one package of 100gr Stinger Buzzcuts. I believe in not using target broadheads for hunting, but I wanted to see both types. I figured to use one set for target, then swap in the others for hunting. I used the buzzcuts for target, and they grouped really well. I won't say they are the same as the advertised field point accuracy, but they are still deadly accurate.

In any case, I was happy with that so installed the standard Stingers on my arrows, and set up in my stand. Late evening, a big doe came in to 25 yards and set up broadside facing right. I held directly behind the shoulder, squeezed off, and thought I got a great hit by the way she moved. I couldn't see the arrow go, which means lumenoks are in my future. Anyway, I thought I heard her cough and crash about 40 yards up the hill. So, I gave it a bit, went to the spot (it's dark now) and found a couple spots of blood. On up the hill, a few more spots. Dad and I tracked a spot or two, almost 100 yards back into the woods, then nothing. The next day, in the light, we found nothing but white hair where the shot took place, meaning either belly or brisket. We covered the whole hill with my two brothers, and found nothing.

Well, in order to further diagnose, I took my target up and recreated the shot. The buzzcut arrows were dead on. Two of the other Stingers, also within tolerance. The one from the night before, well, it was 10 inches right. I reshot it 3 times, and it was going heavy right every time. Close inspection shows one of the main blades has a helical twist to it. I fully believe that it ended up in causing a cut across the brisket and that's it. Right now I'm retiring the Stingers, and may spend some more time with the buzzcuts, as the serrations should stiffen the blades. In any case, anyone using these needs to look hard at them, and I'd recommend shooting the actual broadheads you're going to hunt with and then sharpen afterwards, as this cost me venison. On another note, we're 90% sure it was a superficial wound and the doe probably would have survived, had muzzleloader season not come in and our property getting stomped flat by the neighbor while we were hunting on our other property. :)

#2 mechmark

mechmark

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Locationcentral okiehoma

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

Howdy

after seeing you post i thought i would tell you about my experiences with the magnus heads... after watching numerous episodes of Ted Nugents SPIRIT OF THE WILD hunting shows an his endorsement of the magnus heads,, i went to the basspro in okla city and purchaced a set of six heads.

after getting them home i put 3 of em on some bolts and went out to
my target...they flew great and hit the target within and inch of my target points at 25 yrds .........im impressed ( THE REASON I BOUGHT THESE HEADS
WAS TO SHOOT THRU THE MESH IN MY BRICKHOUSE BLIND as it says not to use
mechanicals cause the will open going thru the mesh)......

any how i installed the other 3 heads on my bolts and wait for season to open.... well opening afternoon i had a nice buck come up to my right side
and had no idea i was there (thank god for scentlok's ) and i waited till
he turned broadside at about 15 yrds i put my horton dakota on his breadbasket and kerthunk the bolt hit its mark fletching sticking out telling the shot was true. off the buck ran while i stayed in my stand for a half hr
before i went to find my trophy well after me and a friend looked for
3and 1/2 hrs no deer and no blood... IM SICK!!!!!!!!!!!
heck i had already been trying to figure if i could get him to the proccessor before he closed...... well after the next mornings hunt we looked again
and no cigar/

well frustrated i looked over the heads again and decided that i would
fine tune the edge on the remaining five heads to get em sharper
which i did and you could shave with em

well the next weekend (8 days to be exact) at my favorite local spot
lexington wildlife area sitting in THE tree a beautiful 8 point came out at 30 yrds and stood at the edge of the field well WHACK went my dakota and off he jumped to stop about 75 yrds into the field and i thought he would just expire there.. well after about a minute i watched him walk to the end of the field and walk out of my life UGH im not happy
again after searching that afternoon and again the next day no cigar !!!!

well at this point im very disappointing and thinking about writing uncle ted a letter and saying he cost me 2 nice deer ( i lost 2 deer in 8 days which is more than i had lost in 2o yrs of bowhunting)

well i decided to save teh remainder of these heads for shooting coyotes or
armadillos that annoy me at my stand and i put on some NAP shockwaves.
well i went hunting again a few weeks later and had a nice doe come in angling at 37 yrds i put a shockwave in her and she trotted off about 60 yrds
and layed down coool i can see her from the stand so i waited for her to expire. and she did and tasted very good...

well that was last year ................opening morning this year i was sitting in my stand and a doe came up.. walking straight to me till sh got about
10 yrds from me and saw me in the tree ( probably thought now thats a fat squirrel up there !!!!!) she bolted and then stopped broadside at 30 and whack did the shockwave well down she went at 15 yrds yrds. and was dead in 15 to 20 SECONDS wooooooooooo

well that evening i sit in the same stand and deer start filtering in and i am watching one to come out behind the tree when i see another further out
come to the opening and i shoot and miss so i quetly cock ny bow and grab
another arrow while being as stealthy as i can (guess which arrow i grabbed ?) and shot whack again i could see the fletching in the chest as she ran off.
if you guessed that i grabbed the arrow with the magnus on it you are right.

went to the spot and found a few drops of blood wich i followed into the night and the next morning..
well i hunted the rest o the week and i set up my stand on another wheat field and cut up a apple that had gotten beat up in my pack.

and about 45 min utes later 3 deer came out and one went ot the apple and
whack went the vortex broadhead this time and the doe ran 30 ft to the edge ofthe field,turn about face and ran back to the spot that i shot it.
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

so lets see 3 shots with schockwaves 3 dead deer (all passthrus)
1 shot with a marden 2 blade vortex 1 dead passthru even breaking
both front legs

3 shots with magnus no deer and a very unhappy hunter...

well if you wondering what happened to the remaining magnus heads
i burried them so i could not accidently grab one by mistake and
so no other hunter might end with them after i pass on.

so i will stick to my schockwaves and my vortex and just pull back the screen a bit while in my ground blind

so ends the story of the old hunter and the poor performing bh

MORAL OF THE STORY... IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

#3 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,641 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

You know, I wanted to add this. I don't know if there's something about it, but maybe it's worth discussing. I am one of those like menchmark that has tried something new and if it didn't leave a good blood trail, I chunked them. But as more time has passed, I have tried things and they worked good, only to go through a period of time where there are NO BLOOD TRAILS! It's actually been happening for the past few months. Last weekend, our youngest son arrowed two does, and neither had any kind of blood trail AT ALL. I actually told him after looking for the 1st deer Saturday night, the doe had to be walking still. He explained she had buckled and everything. I gave up and was piddling anyway when Butch saw eyes in the field with his spot light. He walked over and there was the doe, head upsidedown, so the eyes where a coyote. Next day, same thing. Everything I have shot the past few months, no blood trail with acception of that doe I shot, and it wasn't much. Nothing is bleeding it seems.
So, I know for a fact, these MUZZY 4 blades I'm shooting, generally leave a good blood trail, but not on any game I have shot for a few months. It's happened the same way in the springtime last year.
I have suspected moon phase in the past, but right now, I'm wondering if this heavy drought has anything to do with this. Anyone else have any ideas of why this happens (other than shot placement of course)?
It's happened with me and Montecs, and even Spitfires in the past, and I know they are good broad heads. I guided 4 crossbow hunters using G5's and not one blood trail on 6 of 8 deer two Decembers ago. We found all the deer though. Is there more to this?

#4 TRG3

TRG3

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

This is my first year to hunt with a crossbow and I've taken 5 deer to date. Four were with the Trophy Ridge Steel Head 125 gr.(three-blade mechanical) and one with a Phathead 125 gr. (four-blade fixed). Ranges were from 15 - 40 yards and all hits were pass throughs with large entrance/exit wounds. Hits were either heart, lungs, and/or liver. While the deer bled a lot internally and none traveled over 70 yards, none were found by following a blood trail because there wasn't any until I got almost to the downed deer. At times, I've experiences a similar happening shooting roundballs with my muzzleloader. Since there's nothing I can do about a lack of blood trail, I just have to have faith in my shot and follow the deer in the direction it ran.

#5 dyeclan

dyeclan

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 05:05 PM

I have faith in my shooting, no doubt, but right now have no faith in my chosen equipment, recon excepted from that statement. I am considering at this point spending the time and money to build my own arrows, as I have just scaled all my arrows, hortons and tenpoints, and have found huge differences in weight. The hortons are way more consistent, but the vanes seem to wrinkle easily, and I'm seeing a +/- 10 grains between the tenpoint carbons, from the same package. That's too much for me to stomach. Between that and the oddball Stinger I have to say I'm a little shaken by the manufacturing standards I'm seeing from 'premium' brands. I'll be doing a lot more reading and field testing before I take a bead on another deer with this thing.

#6 TBrom

TBrom

Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

I've shot nothing but Magnus heads for years, and will probably never shoot anything but Stingers ever again. In my opinion they're the best heads in the world. I do tune each broadhead to each individual arrow though. I shoot all of my broadhead/arrow combinations prior to putting them in my quiver.

#7 kennisondan

kennisondan

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

dyeclan : what magnus was it... ?

TBrom : why switched from magnus to stingers ?

dk

#8 dyeclan

dyeclan

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:57 AM

I bought 3 of the regular 100 gr Stingers and 3 of the 100 gr Stinger Buzzcuts. I never liked using heads that had been in a target for actual hunting, so used one set for target and zero, and one set for the hunt. I would have / should have, gotten 6 of the same, but wanted to compare, and money doesn't grow on trees. Anyway, I think I'm going to take away from this the lesson that I will target shoot my hunting arrows and resharpen, so I know for sure how they are flying. FWIW, I think I prefer the buzzcuts, they seem stiffer to me. I'm going to give them a second shot.

#9 TBrom

TBrom

Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=

TBrom : why switched from magnus to stingers ?

dk[/QUOTE]

I shot the original Magnus heads years ago when I used a recurve. When they introduced their Stinger line, I switched to them because I could get them to fly better out of the higher speed bows I was using. I've shot nothing but Stingers ever since.

I have nothing but good things to say about Magnus heads. The past two years I've killed bucks with the crossbow/magnus combination, and both bucks fell over in sight of my stand.

#10 dyeclan

dyeclan

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

Well, somewhere on here I reported that we had found the deer and that the stinger had apparently done it's job, but that was wrong. My Dad had a chance to examine the deer he found and it was a shed buck. That got him thinking, so he went on stand near the food plot for the last few nights, and spotted a doe with a cut across her brisket. That lines up exactly with what we originally thought-the Stinger went right of the point of aim, just as it did when we target shot it afterwards. So, in fact, it WAS a head problem. FYI, we did change the head out on that arrow, and it flew fine; further, the arrow with the Stinger spins fine as well, I think the problem is due to that slightly twisted blade.

Anyway, just wanted to tie this one off. I had good luck with the Rage, and the NAP Bloodrunners look promising too, so I'm just going to move on from the Magnus. Anybody wanna buy 5 slightly used, 3 Buzzcuts and 2 Stingers? ;)

Edited by dyeclan, 02 March 2009 - 07:47 AM.

#11 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:18 AM

i was reading all the posts & here's my nickel. i always shoot my BH's alot each one of them! then i resharpen them for hunting. never had a surprize during the shot on game. i have hit abit high or back far but that was me or the deer moved as i shot. they are very fast reacting, so i try to keep my shots close.

#12 ChoctawBusGuy

ChoctawBusGuy

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

by a vet., that if a deer is really fat, the fat can actually seal off the exit & result in no blood trail--makes sense

#13 cingold

cingold

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

by a vet., that if a deer is really fat, the fat can actually seal off the exit & result in no blood trail--makes sense

heard something similar from fellow bowhunter that shoots bushpigs only, he said 4 out of 10 don't leave a bloodtrail because the wound channel is being closed by adhesion. he used 3 bladed BH, since he moved to single bevel BH (my favourites!) the cuts left by blade are different and always leaving blood trails.
Is there a vet/member who can validate and confirm this?

#14 Brubaker

Brubaker

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

I bought 3 of the regular 100 gr Stingers and 3 of the 100 gr Stinger Buzzcuts. I never liked using heads that had been in a target for actual hunting, so used one set for target and zero, and one set for the hunt. I would have / should have, gotten 6 of the same, but wanted to compare, and money doesn't grow on trees. Anyway, I think I'm going to take away from this the lesson that I will target shoot my hunting arrows and resharpen, so I know for sure how they are flying. FWIW, I think I prefer the buzzcuts, they seem stiffer to me. I'm going to give them a second shot.

Were they 2 blade or 4 blade?

#15 Todd the archer

Todd the archer

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Pa.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

Here is a different take on broadheads. You hear how a deer runs off and dies a short distance away with little or no blood trail. Well here is my last expirience using a three blade rage. Shot a six pointer at 20 yards made a good shot but the arrow turned sharply at entrance and exited back thru the guts. Waited a while to track, no problem good blood trail. Well without telling a long story it was a long tracking adventure, jumping the buck several times. 8 hours later found the buck still alive but bedded down. Backed out and recovered him the next morning. Total distance guessing 1/2 mile.

Here the point: If not for the continuous blood trail not sure I would have found it.

Todd