• Please log in to reply

#1 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yes the Jackal is only 150 lb pull but some days my shoulder and neck arthritis is so bad it feels like a 225lb pull. So for all those that want to put a crank devise on their Jackal without voiding your warranty.I found a way to do it and its as strong as if it was drilled and screwed into the butt stock.It can be removed if for any reason you need to send in your crossbow for warranty work.If you drill ANY HOLE IN STOCK WARRANTY IS VOID!! I have about 30 shots with this setup and its as tight as the first shot.

Items used: Crank devise for Predator,Revolution....1 roll of 3M Gray double side tape ($4 at walmart)...1 roll of Camo-Form self cling wrap($3 Ebay)

Install : I took the Allen wrench screw out that holds crank to bracket (so the crank can be removed when done cocking rope.Then I added double sided tape to the side that mounts to butt stock (2 long pieces then 2 smaller pieces in the center of the long pieces.) Also If you notice I reversed the bracket it fits really nice in the butt stock grove . Center the bracket on the butt stock and press down hard on bracket to butt stock .Then wrap (Camo -Form) a tight one around once then really pull tight and wrap several ( I did 4) layers to secure to butt stock.It isnt bulky looking or feel bulky at all the self cling wrap is very strong material. SEE PICS. hope it passes the mustard for ya guys....awh hell Im happy with it just thought Id sharePosted Image

Attached Images

• Jackal crank 1 new.jpg
  • Jackal crank 2 new.jpg
  • Jackal crank 3 new.jpg
  • Jackal crank 4.jpg

Edited by HDMann292, 07 January 2012 - 04:05 PM.

• myayers likes this

#2 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Very creative HDman. That there is good old American ingenuity at work. I am supprised that they have not made a crank for the Jackal yet, its got to be there biggest seller.

#3 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Yep .....I asked a Barnett Rep and warned me any alteration to stock and no warranty! All it would take on Barnetts end is make stock solid not hollow and drill 2 holes like the Predator to attach crank.I have seen so many post on forums people asking about having a crank on the Jackal.Common Barnett fix this so people can install the right way.There is alot of people that would benefit from being able to put the crank devise on the Jackal. If you really think about it you should never climb a tree stand or a Ladder stand with it cocked.And Its not to safe or easy to cock it when up in the tree stand.Now you can sit down and just crank away.If anybody tries this please post your thoughts

Very creative HDman. That there is good old American ingenuity at work. I am supprised that they have not made a crank for the Jackal yet, its got to be there biggest seller.

#4 willystruck

willystruck

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Looks like a great idea. I've been wondering about adding a crank to make it easier to use in my climbing stand.

#5 jforbob

jforbob

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationNE Nebraska

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

If someone REALLY needs a crank device, and they are looking at Barnett in the 300fps price point, they can get the Wildcat C5... or new to 2013 is the Recruit!!

#6 Contndr

Contndr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:37 PM

Thanks HDman, I just bought a Barnett Jackal because of shoulder pain in my bow arm.  I love the crossbow, my first, and like your modification.  I am going to purchase the items and give it a try!  Maybe if I can get back to shooting my bow after physical therapy, then my wife will be able to use the Jackal with the cocking device.  Great job!

Thanks,

Contndr

• HDMann292 likes this

#7 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

The Jackal crank setup I made 

#8 ruger375

ruger375

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Locationhazel green al.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the info .
  • HDMann292 likes this

#9 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Hello HD. Haven't heard much from you lately. Sorry to hear about the arthritis. I've got a little of that to so I see your need to improvise.

Anyway, it's about time you showed us how you adapted the crank to your Jackal. I asked you about it in a post way back in mid June. Guess you must have forgot about it.

Looks pretty solid but does the bracket get in the way when you shoot it?

As far as Barnett not making a crank for the Jackal maybe if enough owners yelled at them long enough they would pay attention after while. I can't see why they couldn't use the holes in the rear of the stock to adapt a removable bracket. It wouldn't require a rocket scientist to design it.

For now though it looks like you have a winner.

Thanks for sharing.

• HDMann292 likes this

#10 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

If someone REALLY needs a crank device, and they are looking at Barnett in the 300fps price point, they can get the Wildcat C5... or new to 2013 is the Recruit!!

If someone REALLY needs a crank device?

This is about current owners, not those folks shopping for a new xbow.

When shooting a practice session it seems most people would shoot at least 25+ arrows. That's where the "REALLY" part of need comes in. Certain people can only pull that kind of weight a few times then have to stop because of the discomfort. Cranks make it possible to shoot for longer periods of time which makes it more FUN.

IMO Barnett should make cranks available for every model they sell.

• HDMann292 likes this

#11 jforbob

jforbob

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationNE Nebraska

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

At some point, weren't all the current Jackal owners just folks shopping for a new xbow... and then they chose to buy a Jackal...  It doesn't take much research to see that the Jackal is not crank compatible...  For someone who knows they might want a crank in the future, the Jackal just doesn't seem like the best purchase to make...  Especially when Barnett has some great bows in the same price range that are crank compatible...  I compare it to me, having a baby on the way, going out and buying a two door car that seats two...

And I agree that all models Barnett makes now should be crank compatible...

If someone REALLY needs a crank device?

This is about current owners, not those folks shopping for a new xbow.

When shooting a practice session it seems most people would shoot at least 25+ arrows. That's where the "REALLY" part of need comes in. Certain people can only pull that kind of weight a few times then have to stop because of the discomfort. Cranks make it possible to shoot for longer periods of time which makes it more FUN.

IMO Barnett should make cranks available for every model they sell.

• HDMann292 likes this

#12 BigBowMan

BigBowMan

Happy Member

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationBig Flats, WI

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

When the Jackal first came out and was sold it was sold and advertised with the understanding that it was adaptable for a cocking device. I bought my Jackal for $225 and figured I would just wait for the cocking aid which never developed. But with a rope cocker the Jackal is quite easy to cock even for me who has a broken back from T10-S5.

Sent from my cup on a string using Tapatalk 4

Edited by BigBowMan, 05 August 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#13 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

I luv my Jackal and I dont care for the C3 so that is why I bought it.My Jackal is light and just as fast as the C3.And Myayers this is a old post from back in Jan2012 so I just went threw the archives till I found it and just reposted it. And to answer your question about it getting in the way.No I slide on the crank and crank it up and then remove the crank.If you look at the pics you can see the "block" is almost level with the cheek peice.I did this last year Jan 2012 and it is still holding strong as if I just did it..

#14 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

And another thing I really like about this set up is ...when I get up in  my stand its very easy to cock it and every couple Hrs. I put the cocker devise back on and slowly release the string to relieve the limbs during the day instead of having to shoot the bow and recocking it.

#15 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 873 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

At some point, weren't all the current Jackal owners just folks shopping for a new xbow... and then they chose to buy a Jackal...  It doesn't take much research to see that the Jackal is not crank compatible...  For someone who knows they might want a crank in the future, the Jackal just doesn't seem like the best purchase to make...  Especially when Barnett has some great bows in the same price range that are crank compatible...  I compare it to me, having a baby on the way, going out and buying a two door car that seats two...

And I agree that all models Barnett makes now should be crank compatible...

I don't think anyone looking to buy a crossbow is thinking about comparing it to a life altering experience like having a baby.

They weren't shopping for a crank. Manufacturers don't promote cranks, they promote crossbows. So why would a buyer be concerned about a crank when they see the bow that they really like? As far as research the vast majority of buyers don't have resources such as CBN. The retailers aren't going to tell them that bow won't support a crank, they need to move inventory.

#16 ruger375

ruger375

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

gentleman my buddy didn't buy the crossbow I am letting him use it to see if he likes it which he does now bear in mind he is 64 years old also with arthritis and back surgery so the rope cocker bothers his back we tried shortening and lengthing everything still bothers it that's why we were asking about the crank cocker mod HD came up with which looks like it might be the ticket .

#17 ruger375

ruger375

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

I have a quad 400 he could mount one on but he says its to cumbersome and heavy so we were looking at all the options again thank you HD for reposting your specs .
  • HDMann292 likes this

#18 BigBowMan

BigBowMan

Happy Member

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationBig Flats, WI

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

I suggest looking at the new Recruit it can accept a cocking device and much narrower and lighter than our Jackals. I've been arguing and trying to persuade my wife why I need a fith bow... LOL

Sent from my cup on a string using Tapatalk 4

• jforbob likes this

#19 jforbob

jforbob

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationNE Nebraska

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'm not trying to start a fight with any Jackal owners... I bought one myself and loved it... still sad that I gave it to my brother...

I just think in this day of the internet, there is no reason a person shouldn't be able to make informed decisions on the purchase of a weapon/firearm... I know that Barnett's product catalog and website use icons to show compatibility with certain add-ons, and the Jackal clearly doesn't have the crank icon...

We don't need to be blaming Barnett here and telling them that they have to come up with a crank for the Jackal or they lose our business... :)

I don't think anyone looking to buy a crossbow is thinking about comparing it to a life altering experience like having a baby.
They weren't shopping for a crank. Manufacturers don't promote cranks, they promote crossbows. So why would a buyer be concerned about a crank when they see the bow that they really like? As far as research the vast majority of buyers don't have resources such as CBN. The retailers aren't going to tell them that bow won't support a crank, they need to move inventory.

#20 jforbob

jforbob

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationNE Nebraska

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

Btw... It's too bad HD doesn't work for Barnett... I bet he could take care of everything... great ingenuity man!!!
  • HDMann292 likes this