Bolt size

• Please log in to reply

#1 Pan

Pan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

I also have three bolts for the Horton EXP I am using. The bolts are 20" long 2219's. This makes the tip of the broadhead even with the front end of the stirrip. Remember as I ask, I am just learning at this but isn't that a bit long? And possibly a smaller diamater shaft?
Shouldn't the base of the broadhead sit between the limbs tucked in as close to the body of the X-bow as you can and still have clearance?
I hunted with vertical compound bows for years, (it's been awhile) and still have several 2219 shafts, fletchings and tips I can use to make bolts with if this is the right size for the EXP but it seems to me they would fly flatter, faster and possibly be a bit more accurate if they were about 3 or 4 inches shorter and with a bit smaller diameter.
Seems to me any knock down power that may be lost because the bolts would be a bit lighter would be off set by a bit better penetration.
If I am wrong in my way of thinking please let me know. I don't want to begin my X-bow learning process by starting out going in the wrong direction.

Edited by Pan, 16 January 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#2 Stalker

Stalker

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • LocationLAWRENCEVILLE GA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

You have the right size bolts.The lighter the bolt the less penetration you will have.A shorter bolt could possibly not weigh enough and cause a semi dryfire situation.Your bow has a minimum bolt weight.If you shoot anything lighter than that in will damage the bow.My Horton minimum weight is around 405 grains or so Ive been told.Call Horton and get the minimum weight for your model.A smaller diameter might not ride on the rail correctly and be dangerous.Im no expert but this is what I believe to be correct.Im sure others will chime in that have more experience than me.Just be careful.

#3 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Shorter arrows are not as stable in flight as the longer arrows. Also You need to keep the arrows at or above the recommended weight. The way I understand it crossbow arrows are large diameter so the string matches up to the center line of the shaft. Using smaller diameter arrows the string may jump over the arrow and cause a dry fire situation. A lighter arrow will not (from my experience) have better penetration even if it is some faster out of the bow, it losses it's energy faster on impact because of less weight. Less weight means less kinetic energy so you gain speed but loose knock down power and penetration. If the bow you have is an Explorer it uses a minimum 415gr arrow. You shouldn't have a problem using the 2219's cut to 20". I would concentrate on the front of the arrow and try to get a high Front Of Center some where around 18% should work.

#4 geo80

geo80

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

:cigar: lol this is alittle above my exp. lvl

#5 Pan

Pan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I agree a bolt which is too short it will be unstable. I guess I was going by my wife's and my bows.
My wife shot a Martin Prowler at 60lb. with an 8" overdraw using 18"L 1716 Easton XX75's. Her arrows hit 285fps.
I shot a PSE Lazor Flight at 80lb. with 31"L 2219 Eastons. It pushed 280 fps.
I also shot a Martin Gonzo Safari, (from the Ted Neugent line with his Zebra camo.) with an 8" overdraw using 23"L 2013 Easton Superlite XX75's. It hit 312fps consistantly with the XX75s but I don't remember how fast with the carbon arrows.
Without the overdraw it used the same arrows as the PSE and both bows shot about the same.
I usually used the PSE for penetration and kept the overdraw on the Gonzo for speed.
I also always kept 12 cut to length bare shafts with fletchings, etc. for each bow in my tote bag for, 'just incase' and saved room by sliding the smaller blank shafts into the larger blank shafts then taping them together.
The overdraw arrows had 1/2" tall three teared fletchings.

I don't remember what the minimum weight for the bows are and I agree that is a critical factor but it just seemed odd to me that an excellent in our opinion hunting bow would shoot an arrow that much smaller than the average, (I assume) hunting crossbow.

Thinking about it now I would assume with the fact a bolt having to have a large diameter no mater what the length, the length would be even more critical. On the arrows when we shortened them the diameter got smaller as well.

Edited by Pan, 31 January 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#6 GrizzWolf

GrizzWolf

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, Indiana

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, it's always best to contact Horton and talk to them... some of the guys there are VERY serious about their xbows and are also dedicated hunters... they put the bows and arrows thru their paces and they KNOW which arrow performs best with each bow...

#7 Buckeye_Bowhunter

Buckeye_Bowhunter

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Stalker and DropZone are dead on. All Horton's shoot 20" arrows and you need the diameter to keep the relation of the string and noc correct.