• Please log in to reply

#1 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

I assume this topic has been brought up before. I am a newbie and didn't follow the directions correctly, even after reading through the directions several times. No excuse on my part. However, I did not realize until after my injury how much damage can happen to one's thumb if you are not careful and don't follow the directions. As a compound bow hunter, I have been stung by the string many times. That was it, just a red whelp. However with a crossbow, the injury that can occur is much more damaging.

I for one feel that perhaps a sticky for newbies at the top may help prevent damages to hobbyists like myself, especially children. At least some emphasis the dangers :)

Just a rant, I needed to get off my chest. I have since read where hobbyists are getting hurt in stores while trying out crossbows for the first time before buying them supposedly under proper supervision. I just don't feel there is enough awareness presented by the professional elite. ;)

The old timers, including my friends, simply state "I'll bet you won't do that again." There right. :lol:

Please keep in mind some of us a are bit slower to learn than others. Help keep us stupid ones safer if possible.

Perhaps a warning like, "Keep your thumb and fingers out of the way of the strings, or it can cut them off".

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#2 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I thought ALL Crossbows do have stickers on the flight rail that give the shooter "THE WARNING"

I assume this topic has been brought up before. I am a newbie and didn't follow the directions correctly, even after reading through the directions several times. No excuse on my part. However, I did not realize until after my injury how much damage can happen to one's thumb if you are not careful and don't follow the directions. As a compound bow hunter, I have been stung by the string many times. That was it, just a red whelp. However with a crossbow, the injury that can occur is much more damaging.

I for one feel that perhaps a sticky for newbies at the top may help prevent damages to hobbyists like myself, especially children. At least some emphasis the dangers :)

Just a rant, I needed to get off my chest. I have since read where hobbyists are getting hurt in stores while trying out crossbows for the first time before buying them supposedly under proper supervision. I just don't feel there is enough awareness presented by the professional elite. ;)

The old timers, including my friends, simply state "I'll bet you won't do that again." There right. :lol:

Please keep in mind some of us a are bit slower to learn than others. Help keep us stupid ones safer if possible.

Perhaps a warning like, "Keep your thumb and fingers out of the way of the strings, or it can cut them off".

#3 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yep, there are warnings to keep body parts out of the way, but they fail to tell you the consequences if you do forget. Perhaps if the manufacturers did this, there would be less injuries. . Crossbow strings have cut an alarming number of fingers and thumbs off, that is a fact, not to mention the extent of lacerations produced including tendons. A warning like this would emphasis the danger involved in shooting a crossbow and perhaps help some of us to really think before we shoot. Personally, I didn't think a crossbow string could do this much damage and didn't concentrate on it as much as I will now. My stupidity. In my case I came from shooting a compound bow which also states to keep your body parts out of the way of the string and I have been zapped by the compound bow string.

Just trying to prevent anyone from getting hurt that is not aware of the extent of the damages that can occur. ;)

On the other hand, if the manufacturers did supply a warning that a crossbow can cut off thumbs and fingers, they would reduce their sales.

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#4 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

I think hunters really need to be careful, since adrenaline gets going when you see that big buck, which makes you more prone to injury. :)

I will advice any other newbies or friends to put on some kind of guard on to help prevent an accident from occuring.

#5 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

FWIW, I have no desire to sue or seek compensation for my injuries. My purpose is to educate novices and perhaps some experienced hobbyists about possible injuries from use of crossbows. I have used a lot of different weaponry over the course of many years and this is the first time I have injuried myself. Given this information, I don't believe I am the only hobbyist that can possibly make a mistake and forget to keep fingers and/or thumbs out of the way when shooting a crossbow.

#6 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

I am sure we all agree with your message, however any weapon, crossbows included can be dangerous especially if the person using the weapon is not familiar with the operation.

#7 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

"especially if the person using the weapon is not familiar with the operation."

I agree whole heartedly. Unfortunately, some of us don't have access to proper training courses or ranges specifically for crossbow. The club I go to does not provide crossbow shooting ranges or courses yet, although I hope to see some soon in my area soon without driving hours to reach current ones. :)

Keep in mind, many areas are just catching on to crossbow hunting since it has only been in effect for around one year.

Hopefully we get some 3D ranges soon in my area. Currently there are none.

Don't forget about us hunters on the other side of the iron curtain (laws). Archery ranges in my area (Maryland), state "No Crossbow", unless they have changed them since the last time I was there. I have been out of archery commission for about a year now due to injury to my back.

As for me, I have to learn to shoot crossbow on my farm by myself and one friend who has only been shooting a crossbow for a year. I'm going through the learning motions now and will be educating some of my buddies as to how to shoot a crossbow.

I have read through all the crossbow forums and find this forum and others very helpful. ;)

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#8 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Seriously you are complaining about not having a warning about what could and will happen if you don't follow directions? I'm not trying to be disrespectful but if following directions is not one of your strong suits then you shouldn't shoot a crossbow that can seriously hurt you if not treated with respect and directions are not followed. All crossbows come with a warning on the bow that if we don't follow the instructions can result in serious injury or death. Using any weapon requires the use of common sense. I mean even if there was a sticky or other instructions on crossbow safety (which there is) what makes us think you would follow the warnings if you can't follow the warning that came with the crossbow? Like I said I mean no disrespect and like your older friends said bet you don't do that again.

#9 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

You're right. I am wrong. Not disputing the facts about warnings on crossbows. Stupid mistake on my part and I have heard it already from my hunting buddies. Can't go to 7 eleven anymore without hearing from another guy I haven't seen in a while. The word did spread quickly.

I'm peeved at myself more than anything and am embarrassed about it. I have worked in construction, handling very dangerous equipment for many years. Always very careful and knock on wood have not hurt myself significantly yet. Perhaps that's why I have a problem.. I have finally hurt myself after over 50 years of being around dangerous equipment. I don't like loosing in anything I do. You might consider me a bit competitive in everthing I do, especially hunting. The darn crossbow is the thing that got the best of me.

The worst part is no one knows anything about crossbow where I live. They can't understand how a string can do that much damage & I have to keep explaining it to them. :D

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#10 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE highland hunter,I'm peeved at myself more than anything and am embarrassed about it. I have worked in construction, handling very dangerous equipment for many years. Always very careful and knock on wood have not hurt myself significantly yet. Perhaps that's why I have a problem.. I have finally hurt myself after over 50 years of being around dangerous equipment. I don't like loosing in anything I do, you might consider me a bit competitive in everthing I do, especially hunting. The darn crossbow is the thing that got the best of me.

You think maybe a little complacency entered into your accident?.
I and many others have had this problem enter into a situation, usually with undesired results.

#11 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

"You think maybe a little complacency entered into your accident?."

I disagree with you there.

"Complacency: The feeling you have when you are satisfied with yourself."

If you were referring to discontent with myself entering into my accident, your are correct.

No disrespect intended. I am having fun at my own expense. I do hope this does not happen to others though, especially our younger members who may not be acquainted to dangerous equipment.Us older guys can handle this and will get mad at ourselves when such things happen. Woman and children are a bit different in my book.

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#12 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 1,812 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE highland hunter,I'm peeved at myself more than anything and am embarrassed about it. I have worked in construction, handling very dangerous equipment for many years. Always very careful and knock on wood have not hurt myself significantly yet. Perhaps that's why I have a problem.. I have finally hurt myself after over 50 years of being around dangerous equipment. I don't like loosing in anything I do, you might consider me a bit competitive in everthing I do, especially hunting. The darn crossbow is the thing that got the best of me.

You think maybe a little complacency entered into your accident?.
I and many others have had this problem enter into a situation, usually with undesired results.

Been there got the t-shirt to prove it!!!

#13 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I am surprised that older distinguished members in this forum are so ready to write these type of accidents off so quickly to read the label and its up to you to watch your top-notch. As an older member of the field of hunting, I feel older more experienced members should be responsible and jump on dangerous situations involved in shooting a crossbow. I feel you guys are leading in a bad example. Take it as you will, but bow hunting is taking off in popularity. These kind of accidents are going to lead to increased safety in crossbow design the hard way. Instead of ignoring these situations, I feel it best that the elite members push crossbow manufacturers to use yanky ingenuity and come up with design improvements for all crossbow. I personally feel that many of these type of accidents can be avoided by design improvement at minimal price.

Personally, I would love to see design changes sooner than later due to threats of law suits.

Looks at where the construction industry has changed in safety designs in the recent years. They now have saws that will instantly stop if your finger hits the blade without any damages to your body. How about that for the construction industry. Yet crossbows are increasing in power with little modifications. Accidents do happen.

You guys are slowly becoming dinosaurs instead of progressing to help make improvements. Perhaps you are satisfied with current saftey devices on crossbow, but I for one am not. My two cents.

It's time to get with 2012.

No disrespect intended.

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#14 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,333 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

"You think maybe a little complacency entered into your accident?."

I disagree with you there.

"Complacency: The feeling you have when you are satisfied with yourself."

If you were referring to discontent with myself entering into my accident, your are correct.

No disrespect intended. I am having fun at my own expense. I do hope this does not happen to others though, especially our younger members who may not be acquainted to dangerous equipment.Us older guys can handle this and will get mad at ourselves when such things happen. Woman and children are a bit different in my book.

no disrespect taken.
Actually was leaning to this definition.

a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation, condition, etc.

#15 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

I'll agree with that one. Thanks. :lol:

#16 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

With new semi-automatic handguns a bunch of new safety improvements have been added with new models. The police forces are slowly requiring these added benefits for their professional police forces who are well versed and well trained in proper handgun usage due to accidental shooting of not only victims, but also due to self inflictions.

Personally I love my new Springfield XDM .45 and appreciated the new safety devices it has. Others don't like them and take them off at their own risks. :D

#17 Cyclonic

Cyclonic

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

This reminds me of a sticker a friend showed me inside the cabinet of his RV. It said, and I kid you not "Do not close cabinet door on genitals." :startle: This came from the factory! :thumbsu: Maybe our crossbows should have the same warning! :lolu:

#18 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

The people laugh at the seat belt and air bag warnings posted in cars as well. Many of my buddies feel they cause more damages than good. After a bad accident one buddy who swore they were no good, changed his tune. Neanderthals in my book. :)

No disrespect intended. To each their own.

#19 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

I just read a short post yesterday on another site where a guy cut his fingers off using a xbow. I didn't see enough details to comment on it any further yet. Maybe in the name of safety down the road there can be 2 battery operated sensors(to cover each side of the rail) that would lock up the trigger if tripped. Something like a light bar sensor on a press brake. I thought of this idea when considering my childrens safety while shooting my xbows. I don't see why it couldn't easily be done, other than price, a little weight and, a quality company to step up to the plate to get it done. I'd personally pay the extra for a safety feature like this.
c-t

#20 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Let us add up how things work in the real world for an example:

Let's say a woman accidentally cuts her thumbs off (which has happened) using a crossbow.

She has medical costs say about $5,000 out of pocket. (If she don't have insurance it could be a lot higher. If insured the insurance company may sue manufacturer).

She is out of work for 2 months, say about $4,800.00 no wages.

Suffering: say about another $2,000.00.

Court costs, say about another $5,000.00 to get to court which ain't going to happen cause it will settle out of court.

Trumped up things the attorney comes up with say about $5,000.00 more.

Total of the law suit with an attorney may be then: $21,800.00 or even higher if the attorney so desires.

Results they settle out of court for perhaps half that amount for around $11,000.

The suit never hits the books, which is what the manufacturers care about most. They don't want to take a chance that a jury decides against them.

Eventually a class action lawsuit is going to hit one of the manufacturers if there is enough money involved.

That's the way things just work in this day in age.

Money talks to many people especially if they are pushed to contact an attorney. :D

Edited by HighlandHunter, 16 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.