View New Content Mark all as read |  

Wisconsin Crossbow bill passes

• Please log in to reply

#1 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

AB-384 (The crossbow bill) just passed the WI senate on a unanimous voice vote. The bill now goes onto the Governor for signing. Beginning this fall, all resident and non-resident hunters will be able to use a crossbow to hunt deer, bear, turkey, small game, predators and rough fish in WI without having to be 65 and older or handicapped. Thanks to everybody that played a role in passage of this outstanding bill. The organizations that have testified in support of the bill to aid its passage and to put this matter to bed in WI are:

The Wisconsin Crossbow Federation

The Wisconsin Bowhunters Association

Wisconsin Traditional archers

Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association

Wisconsin Wildlife Federation

Wisconsin Conservation Congress

WI chapters of Safari Club International

Grant County sportsman’s alliance

Game Getters Sportsmen’s club

Dairyland cooperative

Coulee archers

Bigfoot archers Inc.

Wisconsin State Cranberry Growers Association

Wisconsin Potato and Vegetable Growers Association

Wisconsin Pork Association

And many many many Wisconsin Sportsmen that called, sent emails or testified in support of this fine legislation. Talk about a joint effort by a wide range of stakeholders. WOW! :thumbsu:

Now that this is done its onto matters of importance and how to address deer management in the state.

#2 georgiaboy

georgiaboy

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

Great job cheeseheads!!! :thumbsu:

#3 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:44 PM

Not so much! This bill aligns the crossbow with a gun. So the crossbow is allowed in any season guns are allowed BUT NOT in archery season! This is how the WBH & their political cronies rigged this bill. This is just the tip of the iceburg! It will get crossbows into the hands of Wisconsin hunters in upcoming seasons! Once hunters are exposed to the crossbow & see for themselves how the crossbow is more aligned with the hight tech compound bows now in the woods the archery season will be the next move! The Wisconsin hunters will realize the bill of goods they have been sold by the WBH and all their political manuevering! The crossbow community WILL achive true "full inclusion" in Wisconsin. This is just a bone the WBH has thrown the Wisconsin hunters in an attempt to delay crossbows in THEIR season! The Wisconsin people are also looking to lower the age for crossbow use in archery season to 55. The anti crossbow types in Wisconsin THINK they won the battle. Crossbows in the Wicsonsin woods is not the ultimate goal, its full inclusion, BUT it is a step in the right direction! Times they are a changing!

Edited by Tim50, 06 March 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#4 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:48 PM

Amen brotha! Glad this is over.

#5 BigBowMan

BigBowMan

Happy Member

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationBig Flats, WI

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

You got that right Tim50. The war has just begun! I also love the new ignore feature which I used already. :)

Edited by BigBowMan, 07 March 2012 - 12:35 AM.

• Tim50 likes this

#6 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:07 AM

Keep up the god work in Wisconsin. Now that the bill is on the Governors desk I'm wondering what it will cost the WBH to have him sign it? You do know that "Wisconsin is open for business"! :D I found the "ignore button also"!! Works great it keeps the internet stalker & anti crossbow/anti hunter troll all rolled into one where he should be....out of sight! Thanks for the heads up!!

#7 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

You got that right Tim50. The war has just begun! I also love the new ignore feature which I used already. :)

The crossbow issue has been gaining ground at every vote. Now with the hunters of Wisconsin have the opportunity to use a crossbow this will NOT go away! And the people are looking to lowering the crossbow age to 55 another step in the right direction. There is an internet troll on another site TRYING to tell everyone that if the age is lowered to 55 that will open up the crossbows to half the license buying hunters. Dose anyone believe over half the archers in Wisconsin are over 55? Eventhough people have pointed out the error in his calculations he continues to push these incorrect numbers. Make you wonder if this anti crossbow WBH troll is really THAT misinformed, is he lying or is he just trying the standard chicken little approach no facts just emotion! Typical of these WBH anti types?

#8 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I understand the Governor will sign this outstanding piece of legislation in about a week, as the final step in ending the crossbow debate in WI. Thank you to everybody that played a direct role and especially to those that played an indirect role that they didn’t even know they were playing as they helped get this bill passed. You performed admirably and as expected. Well done. :thumbsu:

#9 maine hunter

maine hunter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Locationhermon, maine

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

i live in maine, all we can do is hunt deer and bear during gun season, i would love to hunt turkey with a crossbow, maybe some day.

#10 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

Too bad the compound bow hunters in Wisconsin are a greedy bunch. I wonder how they would like it if the law was changed such that compound bows weren't allowed during archery season, recurves only. What's the real difference between the modern compounds and the xbows anyway, there about the same speed. Just more practice with the compounds. I guess they want the woods all to themselves. What a shame they can't work together with the xbow group to make hunting more interesting and inviting to new younger hunters. I guess the compound group would love nothing more than for the number of hunters to drop off the chart. IMHO, that would back-fire on them possbily. :(

xranger, have a nice day. ;)

"Three great forces rule the world: stupidity, fear and greed." --Albert Einstein

Edited by Highlander, 07 March 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#11 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

This is how I prefer to think of the Compound Bow Hunting Organizations in Wisconsin: :sword:

Posted Image
  • Pronghorn and HDMann292 like this

#12 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Too bad the compound bow hunters in Wisconsin are a greedy bunch.

Huh???? Everybody in WI can pick up a compound and enjoy the fall woods. Those that cant muster a 30 pound draw due to disability or age 65 and up can use a crossbow. Nobody is presently excluded from the fall woods. I dont see the greed since nobody is excluded.

I guess they want the woods all to themselves.

I see you dont live in WI so I will glady fill you in. Bowhunters in WI do not have the woods to themselves. They share all of the season with upland bird hunters, turkey hunters, small game hunters and large chunks of the season with gun deer hunters, bear hunters and all the other users of the fall woods. Bowhunters in WI do not have any portion of the season or the woods to themselves.

What a shame they can't work together with the xbow group to make hunting more interesting and inviting to new younger hunters.

Its never been the mission statement of the xbow group of the bowhunter group to make hunting more interesting and currently there is noting keeping youth out of the woods in WI. They are in no way uninvited. The fall woods in WI is open to all with draw weights for bows as low as 30 lbs. Many many tiny youth using low draw weight bows are killing lots of deer in WI.

I guess the compound group would love nothing more than for the number of hunters to drop off the chart.

DNR statistics show that the WI bowhunting season is the one bright spot in WI license sales that continues to grow every year. This is a testiment to the fact that nobody is excluded.

Edited by xranger, 07 March 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#13 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

Like I said, A wolf in sheep's clothing. Anybody with some intelligence can read what's between the lines of your statements. :)

I will give you credit, you would make a great politician. ;)

Edited by Highlander, 07 March 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#14 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:04 PM

Not being familiar with what's going on in Wisconsin I had to do a little research. :)

It's interesting the way the Wisconsin DNR publishes data to make things look good. They don't provide the total number of licenses sold for 2011 nor 2010 and it goes a ways back before they do publish the number of hunting lic, sold. They pick and choose how they do it. ;)

A chronology of Wisconsin deer hunting from closed seasons to antlerless permits (1834 - present)
http://dnr.wi.gov/ne...kup.asp?id=1968

In 2010 they state: "Hunters harvest a total of 253,038 deer during the gun seasons and 83,833 during archery seasons." That's a total of 336,871 total deer harvested.

In 1999 they state: "record harvest of 402,204 deer".

The deer populations according to their statistics have increased since 1999. What's that tell you about the number of hunters in the woods?

That's a 37% reduction in the total number of deer harvested between 1999 - 2010. Perhaps they are selling more permits in 2011 (I question this), but what does that tell you about the actual number of enthusiastic hunters in the woods actually hunting?

As in politics one can manipulate figures to make their points look good. However, the above figures I have presented don't look good regarding the actual number of hunters currently in the woods in my opinion. Considering the bow hunters only is a slick move to really prevent showing what is really going on with the number of actual active hunters in Wisconsin. I'm sorry to say from the above data, hunting in Wisconsin is on the decline. Just speaking about archery hunters is selfish in my opinion, I'm sorry. Just my two cents.

Re-read Albert Einstein's quote. His brain was much more superior than ours. ;)

Perhaps you have tunnel vision or perhaps you are stupid, fearful and/or greedy. Perhaps some combination of the three. Somehow I don't believe you are stupid, I'll give you credit in that department. :(

Edited by Highlander, 07 March 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#15 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

FWIW Xranger, I would love to take you on if I were a resident in Wisconsin. Let me do a little studying and I would love nothing more than go to one of the Town Hall meetings and debate you. Luckily in Maryland the compound hunters and crossbow hunters love each other like brothers and sisters, especially when it comes to the hunting tradition which goes back to the settlement of the country. Southern hospitality if you will. :)

Edited by Highlander, 07 March 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#16 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

I will give you credit, you would make a great politician. ;)

Thank you for the kind words.

#17 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

FWIW Xranger, I would love to take you on if I were a resident in Wisconsin. Let me do a little studying and I would love nothing more than go to one of the Town Hall meetings and debate you.

I would enjoy that were much and hope that can happen some day. Take as much time as you need to become familiar with the subject matter of WI and let me know when you think you are prepared.

#18 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

We can have a duel if you like. I'll take the crossbow and you can have the compound at 100 yards. If we shoot at the same time, my arrow will get to you before yours gets to me but what difference would that make. Most likely, we'll both be dead if you are as good as I believe you are with that compound of yours. In duels in the South, you're not allow to move, you got to stand there like a man and take the opponents best shot. lol

If you like, I'll take the compound and you can use the xbow. I haven't shot my compound much since back injury, but would be willing to dust her off, crank her back a bit from the 78 lbs she's at. Like Toby Keith says, "I'm as good once as I ever was." I haven't tested the Grim Reapers yet. lol

Incidentally, this is me the savior of the crossbow enthusiasts:

Posted Image

Edited by Highlander, 07 March 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#19 xranger

xranger

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

I would just use one of my crossbows, thanks. :-)

Actually I would much rather do as you first suggested when you feel up to the task.

#20 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

:thumbsup: