Kills deer and Zombies!!

• Please log in to reply

#1 GrizzWolf

GrizzWolf

• Members
  • 533 posts
  • LocationValparaiso, Indiana

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

Horton Crossbows are so SOLID they survived the zombie apocalypse!!

#2 Jetster

Jetster

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I dont think i want them so close I would have to resort to using a Xbow,I will stick to my guns when the dead rise to walk the land.....When they stormed the farm there mistake was not having enough ammo,never let that be a problem!!!!! :bow:

#3 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,824 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:09 PM

Horton Crossbows are so SOLID they survived the zombie apocalypse!!

Good thing they didn't have a Bowtech....Zombies don't wait for limb replacements!!! :D

Edited by Tim50, 26 March 2012 - 07:09 PM.

#4 Jetster

Jetster

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Good thing they didn't have a Bowtech....Zombies don't wait for limb replacements!!! :D

Bow Tech during zombie attack equals dead man walking!!!!

#5 GrizzWolf

GrizzWolf

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Get this, guys... on the show they had Daryl start out using regular Horton arrows with his Xbow... then he ran out of those and I noticed he was using some longish hand-made wooden ones. My first thought was, "HOLY CRAP, you can't use some random wooden arrow in that thing or it will be like a dry fire!!!" Then, a few weeks later I was discussing the bow used on the show with a Horton tech. and he said they actually had to replace a bow USED ON THE SHOW because it was blown apart, probably dry fired... they are just lucky they are using a Scout 125... if they had fired those wooden arrows thru anything with more poundage they would probably have had HUGE PROBLEMS!! I'm thinking their weapons advisor might need some tutoring...

Edited by GrizzWolf, 27 March 2012 - 08:24 AM.

#6 Archer46176

Archer46176

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

I don't meant to stir anything up but I would think if they had a proper hardwood bolt that it would actually weigh more than the Horton bolts so it would actually absorb more of the force and be less like a dry fire. Just my way of thinking. I know I have heard alot of people talk about the bolts splitting due to the high acceleration of the compound mechanism which wouldn't be a problem for recurves. I know many men who have shot older compound bows with cedar and ash arrows and never had a problem. I know from research and working with replica crossbows that the poundages of the medieval sporting and siege crossbows were of much higher poundages than our modern sporting bows.
I would be interested to talk with the techs and designers to get the scoop right from the horses mouth so to speak and off record so they couldn't be held accountable. I know they must engineer their crossbows to be used with modern alloy and composite bolts which they know the actual tensile strength of compared to a wooden bolt which would change from tree to tree and possibly even from shaft to shaft. I do not have an engineering degree and will be the first to admit that but I have been a welder, machinist and fabricator for quite some time and I would venture to say that if the proper hardwood was used (ash, hickory, port orford) the bolt was fletched with the grain perpendicular to the string to lessen chance of splitting and possibly the nock end of the bolt either capped or stabilized with epoxy that everything would work out.
That all being said with my combat experience and specialized military training I do believe I am going to grab a .22 with a can attached to take out the walkers... If I were to pick up my Horton I would want a large supply of bolts and would want to be on a perch of some sort. I also think atleast attaching judo points to the bolts would be wise so thw bolts could be salvaged, cleaned and reused if you were able...
Just my 2 cents...LOL

Oh and I definately agree that their advisors need some refreshing... Some of the stuff these guys have come up with works ok in Hollywood but thats about it.

#7 GrizzWolf

GrizzWolf

• Members
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, I'm sure you could make an arrow out of wood that would function... I mean look at the original crossbows... they used wooden shafts with many of them... but not the arrows they are using on the show... too long, too flimsy... I mean in a post apocalyptic world you'd have to use whatever is at hand... but you'd find out real quick what would and would not work with a crossbow. I used to make historically correct 100% functional Plains Indian Bows and arrows, I know from exerience what you can do with a wooden shaft... altho it helps Daryl that the bow he is using is only 125 lb. draw weight... less stress to the shaft than a 150 or 200 lb. bow... and it did bug me that back in the earlier episodes when he still had Horton arrows that he would NOT retrieve some of them even when he could have... I'd keep every one of those babies I could... and a silenced .22 rifle would also be my weapon of choice because of relatively little sound and ammo would (should) be plentiful and easy to carry in large quantities. Altho I'd probly also have an M4 for more specialized work, a .22 pistol and probably a Springfield XDM .40 or .45 cal. pistol to cover all my bases. You could actually carry all those in a day pack and you'd be ready to kill zombies, shoot wild dogs, or hunt bigger game for food and hides... and back at my home base I'd have at least one .12 guage shotgun and some saboted slugs as well as buckshot. One of the other things that bugs me about the show is how careless they are about their perimeters, especially when camping in the woods... I'd have every inch of that perimeter wired, snares, pipe bombs, you name it...