#1 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • LocationCanton-Michigan

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hi
Just order my first SZ 380 Reconditioned Xbow ..I heard alot of complains about issues with it, BUT I m hoping bacause IT'S Reconditioned it will have no problem(s) , And i m hoping Bowtech fix those problems.
How many of you guys had no problems with this xbow ?? I had alot of Bowtech compound bow but this is my first xbow by bowtech !!
PLEASE FEEDBACK !!!!

Edited by aimo61, 30 March 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#2 Joseph_Francis

Joseph_Francis

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

I love my SZ 380. I've only had it a few weeks but I shoot it just about every night and it's flawless! I recently was destroying thumbtacks at 20 yards. Mine has the factory scope so I'll probably upgrade that soon but I don't see how the SZ 380 could be any better. I got a Red Hot Delux Rolling Rope Cocker that works perfectly. You'll enjoy this crossbow. Feeling the power when you cock it is pretty awsome!

#3 miked

miked

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have owned mine for just ove a year and have no problems! I have about 350 to 400 shots. I have had it fall off the front rack of my 850 XP polaris 4 wheeler. I have strapped it to the front and road extremely fast through the woods 10 miles to my, atleast a half a dozen times, stand during hunting season! I have even lefted it cocked over night and went hunting the next morning. I have not treated mine kindly by any means and have said several times, I dont understand what people do to them. I have read countless stories of black replacement limbs and stocks breaking. I have to wonder still what these people do with thier crossbows. I believe one stock that was broke on here, had to be from tightening the front screw down to tight. The way it was broke it just seemed to obvious. I have often asked what there using to clean their limbs with and weather it has something to do with it. You will see all kinds of opinions about them on here but I think its the best crossbow made. Maybe mine was made on wed. but it has never had any trouble. Seems funny the many crossbow makers are tryin to match what bowtech did last year. As like anything, you have people that worship them, and the HATERS that wish they had one!! Enjoy the Finest hunting Crossbow made, The Strykezone 380!!!

#4 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thank you very much..my SZ coming home Wednesday..should i take day off??LOL

#5 Joseph_Francis

Joseph_Francis

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

LOL. That's another reason I went with the SZ380. People that love them REALLY LOVE THEM! My 2nd choice was the Tornado but when I saw the 2012 version (F4) was copying the SZ380 with a quad limb design, then that sealed it for me.
  • miked likes this

#6 miked

miked

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

Check the weather and if its nice take the day off. In an hour you will learn to shoot and a different spot because you will Robinhood Bolts!

#7 Sell

Sell

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Indiana

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

aimo61 where did you find the reconditioned bows???

#8 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thank you very much..my SZ coming home Wednesday..should i take day off??LOL

Going to work OR shooting your new crossbow! Hummmmm let me think! :D I'd make the call!!! Enjoy your new bow!

Edited by Tim50, 31 March 2012 - 08:20 AM.

#9 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

aimo61 where did you find the reconditioned bows???

I got the info from this topic:
http://www.crossbown...712#entry173712

#10 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yes,,today is Saturday...but i feel I m gonna get sick in Wednesday ( the arrival day) :thumbsu:
By the way .what is the best arrows work for this new xbow?? and what is the lightest weight recomended by Bowtech?? I have Aroows 425gr and 465 gr . i got to get ready for my new SZ :P

#11 wapster

wapster

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

It well come with Gt II's...... let us know how it does. I think you may like IT !!!

#12 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Seems funny the many crossbow makers are tryin to match what bowtech did last year.

Enjoy the Finest hunting Crossbow made, The Strykezone 380!!!

miked

Please explain what the other makers are chasing and why in your opinion or what it has that makes it the finest.

#13 miked

miked

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Look at Parker, they changed the design and uped the speed on one of there best selling crossbows, the tornado, yea they changed the name a little but im sure this was direct respose to the 350 or 380! Take a look at the industry last year when Bowtech took it by storm. The longest running Post on this site I personally think was 10 points offer to let you use there xbow while your 380 was fixed. Bowtech created a fast crossbow in a light, compact pakage with one of the best pricetags out there. You can have a comparable 10 pt. for 3 hundred more. Bowtech has had issue, who hasnt. they probably jumped the gun alittle. But personally form my own experience, I have none of these troubles. I have had nothing but good things to say all along. People seem to forget other crossbows have had trouble over the years. Parker tornado for one! I believe most big name makers make great crossbows and have proved it year after year in sales. Some like Bowtech need help in there customer service dept and finding a quality tech to work on it has been a problem for me. I bought mine from a bowtech dealer that sold one crossbow ever. He had never heard of a 380 months after all the talk. I called one day about getting bolts and his answer was "I can make you some aluminum ones". Not knockin him but he is a vert. bow guy. Enough of that! Give me one reason not to buy I will give you 3 to buy! Makers are learning everyday what Bowtech did last year. Just wait and see how many complain when mathews or hoyt come out with a Crossbow. People will be swarming and talkin them down. I personally know of one guy that was nicely removed from this site for saying to many good things about Stryker! I think Bowtech is like the Pittsburgh Steelers, You love them or hate them but they have the most Superbowl rings period. You ask me and I have a bias opinion about my 380. I spent 4 months driving my wife crazy searching everynite and comparing Crossbows. Hell I made a spread sheet in Excel for my comparisons. When it came down to it, the 380 was the best bang for the buck. :money:You will always have haters and people that lost the hunting season but there just excuses!!! I hope its informative, if you want more ask your question and I will answer!

#14 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Got my SZ 380 today..and as i said i was planig to take today off, but i realy got sick (sore throat and ache)..anyway i assemple the sz ..it take 5 minutes to do it..the xbow as reconditioned has some scruches ..connot tell what parts was replaced by the company, but the trigger was new for sure. the string and cable was new.the limbs 3 of them seems new, the forth limb has mark on the PAINT ONLY..the stirrup has mud on it !!
The Gold Tip NOCKS was the worst i saw in my life..and again i m talking about the NOCKS..it feel weake and soft like rubber not hard plastic !! not strong at ALLLLLL.. i wont use it on 60 pound bow !!! after i pull the nock out, the inside part of the nock was a liitle thicker than paper ( I crashed one with my hand !! )..No wendering why people keep getting dry fire or semi-dry fire and get trouble with this XBOW..so i changed the nocks to easton nock, and i m waiting for my aluminum nock and GT havier from Wyvern..bolt included weight was 394gr(include 100gr tip)..too light but i m sure i will love the speed with those arrows..scope is ok with 4 circle inside for different distance..
Shhoting was GREATTTTTTTTTT..QUIET AND FAST( the noise about 1/4 from my other xbows) ..it was os hard for me to adjust my shooting with this nice light xbow , i have to be carefull..it feel like a toy camparing to my other xbows , and it will be a while to learn..so far so good..Love my new baby :)

I WISH ANY ONE KNOWS WHAT BOWTECH UPDATE ON THOSE RECONDITIONED SZ380??
  • miked likes this

#15 Joseph_Francis

Joseph_Francis

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:42 AM

What kind of arrows are you shooting through your SZ380? I've shot arrows from 4 different venders and the worst ones seem to be Carbon Express. Of the 6 that I bought ($50), 2 shot high right EVERY TIME, 2 were unpredictable flyers (not consistent where they hit) so that leaves me with 2 bullseye arrows. Of the 2 bullseye arrows, 1 hits only at a 2" spread at 25 yards so I'll probably break him next. So much for expensive being better! It seems like everytime I shoot my SZ380, i get frustrated and I break an arrow over my knee. It sounds crazy but the cheap aluminum Horton Lighting Strike MX 2216 arrows shoot the best. These are 6 for $15. My SZ380 is like my AR-15. The cheaper the ammo, the better she likes it!

#16 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

miked

Some good points but as you noted you just might be a little bias which you should be seeing your a fellow Steeler fan :)

Without doubt Bowtech jumped the gun but I dont think other companies are chassing them like you might think. They have their direction and others have theirs. For some, its more than just speed. YES the crossbow is fast and yes it has issues.

I have been doing crossbows for twenty-five years and I own a SZ350. I am not all the jacked up about it and for me it has some flaws which dont make it a 10 in my book. It could have been better but crossbows is not really what they do. Doesnt mean they will not get better at it if they dont work at it. I think we still need to see what they want to be. Most Archery companies in my opinion dont do well in the crossbow bussiness at least that is what history has prooven.

Thanks for giving me your answer and perspective. Its good info

#17 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

Miked....you can have all the opinions you like about YOUR Bowtech BUT please do not compare them to the Steelers!! That's going over the line! Bordering on TEAM BASHING!!!! :mad: If you want to compare Bowtech to the Browns I'll go along with that!!!

#18 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

What kind of arrows are you shooting through your SZ380? I've shot arrows from 4 different venders and the worst ones seem to be Carbon Express. Of the 6 that I bought ($50), 2 shot high right EVERY TIME, 2 were unpredictable flyers (not consistent where they hit) so that leaves me with 2 bullseye arrows. Of the 2 bullseye arrows, 1 hits only at a 2" spread at 25 yards so I'll probably break him next. So much for expensive being better! It seems like everytime I shoot my SZ380, i get frustrated and I break an arrow over my knee. It sounds crazy but the cheap aluminum Horton Lighting Strike MX 2216 arrows shoot the best. These are 6 for $15. My SZ380 is like my AR-15. The cheaper the ammo, the better she likes it!

Hi Joseph
I realy connot answer your question..i have 3 kind of arrows..and i didn't site my xbow yet !! to be honnest i was very nervus shooting the xbow !! my ears was open more than my eyes !! i was listining and looking at the limbs !! the designe make the limbs twist back too much !! it better be good limbs ..I have big trust in bowtech but this is my first xbow SZ380.. i m sure thousands of it was sold but we hear only complain about it.
i have to go out for 4 hours then after noon i will sight my xbow..I connot wait to chrono her.
any one shot his xbow with the Stryker arrows?? still wondering what best arrows for accuracy and speed !

Edited by aimo61, 05 April 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#19 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

Miked....you can have all the opinions you like about YOUR Bowtech BUT please do not compare them to the Steelers!! That's going over the line! Bordering on TEAM BASHING!!!! :mad: If you want to compare Bowtech to the Browns I'll go along with that!!!

:thumbsu: I agree :) there no comparing !! just like comparing big truck to Ferari !!LOL

FORGET TO MENTION THE COCKING ROPE WORK ONLY BEHIND THE STOCK !! ANY ONE HAS THIS ISSUE?? AND WHAT YOU DO TO PROTECT THE STOCK RUBBER ??

Edited by aimo61, 05 April 2012 - 09:09 AM.

• miked likes this

#20 miked

miked

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Uue the grooves that is what I do and it works. Youtube has video's , i could add the link if needed!