• Please log in to reply

#1 Patriot

Patriot

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationBexar County

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I've Got a Summit HD 150 last year. Cables are coated cable and string is in great shape. This isn't the "Old School" Tear Drop System. I shoot at most 1-2 times a month @20-30 shoots per session. The Cable & String look to be in great shape . I'm use to shooting Compound Bows and know about string life on them (Change 2-3 Years)... But what should I exspect from a Crossbow ?

Take Care

Edited by Patriot, 04 April 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#2 Stalker

Stalker

• Members
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationLAWRENCEVILLE GA

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I've had my Summit 150 for a couple of years now and have shot it around 1000 times I would guess.I had the center serving reserved about 500 shots ago and it is still in fair shape.One of my cables broke recently.The cables seemed to be in good shape.I thought they would probably break where they show wear on the plastic coating where they cross each other. The one that broke,broke where it bends the most where it attaches to the cam just past the little ball.I had my limbs replaced by Horton because of a stripped limb bolt that popped loose but they didn't replace the cables or string.I think the cable might have broke because it was taken off and put back on possibly on the opposite side.I was surprised the the cable broke before the string because my manual says to replace the string every season and the cables after 2 seasons.I dont know how many shots Horton considers a season to be? I'm sure I have shot more than what they consider. I would just keep a eye on them and keep them well waxed.I did not see any cable showing through the plastic coating but I was not looking at where it broke only where they cross each other and rub on the stock. So I will now be checking where they bend the most around the cams.I hope this helps you good luck and good shooting.

#3 Buckeye_Bowhunter

Buckeye_Bowhunter

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

The answer is every 2 to 3 years depending on how much you shoot.

The cables on your Summit are steel coated in vinyl. The best way I could describe when to replace cables is the same as when to change the oil in your car...you can probably go longer than the manufacturer tells you, but is it really worth the risk?

#4 Archer46176

Archer46176

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

I have the same crossbow but just bought it last year and have not shot it much just due to time contraints. I too have had compounds and I make my own flemish strings for my longbow. I keep my strings waxed and check them often. On the compounds I kept them wazed and checked for wear everytime I shot. I plan to do the same with the crossbow. I am also planning to order atleast 2 sets of cables and a few extra strings just in case they discontinue them in the future.

#5 Patriot

Patriot

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • LocationBexar County

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Thanks for the assistance, Especially since I'm new to the Crossbow. I got a Good deal on a factory Cable & String ... Always like to be prepared .