175 or 225lbs

• Please log in to reply

#1 Buck Buster

Buck Buster

Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

i am looking at an Excalibur crossbow. What do you prefer, 175 or 225lbs? How much powerful is the 175lbs and how powerful is the 225lbs, does is make a lot of difference?

#2 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,837 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

I have found the 200lb draw weight to be about the max for me to comfortably cock over & over during a shooting session. The 175lb will give you around 300fps the 225lb about 350fps + or - a few. I shoot a 200 and I am right in the middle of that 330 or so. The Exocet 200 I shoot gives me no problems on a long day at the range. The 200 is also good on servings. Shoot them both. And be sure to cock them also......Good luck with your search & let us know your decision.

#3 tharris811

tharris811

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationHazel Green,Al

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

I have a exomax 225lbs .At first is was hard to cock. But I must have gotten used to it .Not bad now.I do like the extra power

#4 XBowenthusiast

XBowenthusiast

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Buck Buster,

Based on my experiences, the extra poundage from 175 to 225 only gives you a little extra speed, but gives you the advantage of more horsepower. It gives you the advantage of being able to shoot heavier arrows and still maintaining decent speed. If you are going to shoot Whitetails exclusively, you really don't need the extra poundage, but if you want to shoot bigger game and think you might want heavier broadheads, then you can use the extra horsepower of the 225 lb. bow.

So, if you have in mind a bear, moose, or similar sized animals, in the future; you might want the ability afforded by the 225 lb. bow to move to heavier broadheads, and heavier arrows. If you have a trip to Alaska or Africa in mind, you definitely want the 225 lb. bow.

If you put test results on a chart, you will see that increases in total arrow weight cause the speed of the arrow from a 175 lb. bow to drop off at a steeper rate (steeper slope on the chart) than the same arrows shot from a 225 lb. bow. Don't get me wrong; the speed of the heavier arrows shot from a 225 lb bow will drop, just not as much as the 175 drops.

#5 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

The diff is really a moot pt. If'en yer healthy or use a crankaroo, 225 models are very nice as long as you can reserve. FPS Bigger is faster or use heavier weight arrows. Heck vixen's kill the biggest moose walking! Hey its about yer personal choice! What do you really want ? I shoot a vixen & i can shoot it 100 times in a day & the big pounders i would be really tired after 50

Edited by vixenmaster, 04 April 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#6 Jerry M

Jerry M

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

I too took this groups' advice and shot them. I shot them all from 175 and up.

I really liked the 200#ers', but did buy the 225 since I wanted to shoot heavier arrows...and was willing to learn how to reserve strings.

Very happy! And I can still shoot 30-50 arrows per session; with a rope cocking aid of course. At 225#s, you simply can not cock these with bare hands. At least not if you are a normal person. (No offense meant to anyone who can cock this with bare hands, cause you can crush me!)

Buy what you like. We did.

Jerry

#7 Guest_hankenhunter_*

Guest_hankenhunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

My sig says it all for me.
Hank

#8 frisky

frisky

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationEast Central Wisconsin

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

At 20 to 25 yards , hunting deer, I have passthroughs, with a 175 pound Phoenix. How far do you want to chase the arrow on the far side? Try them all and YOU decide. The lower power ones are more friendly to servings, and the old body cocking them!

#9 XBowenthusiast

XBowenthusiast

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Buck Buster,

Here is an example of the flexibility in arrow choices with the 225# Excalibur. These were some of my test arrows when preparing for a Cape Buffalo hunt. 100_1258.JPG

#10 eb6300

eb6300

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

I had decided to get a 200 then I found a 225 for 200 less on line so I got it yesterday so far really like it I was suprised it wasnt hard to cock but I am limiting my shots so I wont be sore the next day also everyone says it will go through strings alot quicker

#11 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

I had decided to get a 200 then I found a 225 for 200 less on line so I got it yesterday so far really like it I was suprised it wasnt hard to cock but I am limiting my shots so I wont be sore the next day also everyone says it will go through strings alot quicker

Congrats on a fine crossbow. Strings should hold up well if'en no dryfires. Its the center serving that gets worn badly. Learn to reserve is the solution to that or as i have offered to anyone using Excals. I can reserve for you no cost cept yer shipping to me.

#12 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,837 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I've done the same thing! Did my research settled on an item THEN a deal pop's up & all bets are off!! :thumbsu: Either way you got a great bow...win/win!! It's also good to know you are set if a Cape Buffalo shows up in Ohio!! :D Let us know how it shoots!!

#13 maine hunter

maine hunter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Locationhermon, maine

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

vixenmaster, did you say you can fix the serven on a string?

#14 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

vixenmaster, did you say you can fix the serven on a string?

Yes i reserve them, replied to yer pm

#15 eb6300

eb6300

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

thanks vixenmaster when I get 3or 4 wore I will contact you I took it out today for the second time - 9 shots the first time at 20 yards day one waited a day then I shot 7 shots at 20 yards standing adj scope hit bull on last shot so I took target out to 50 yards put dandoline in center put scope on 325fps just guessed first shot 4 inch to right but right hieght so I aimed 3 inch to left and hit dandoline was so happy I went and made my wife come back and see it!! there was a slight breeze left to right I know you should adj scope from a rest or sand bags but really was just trying to get cocking and no flinching down . I really like this bow

#16 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Did you plumb yer scope to rail ? That way yer scope will be right in the rings. Any cant to the Bow will cause windage error at ranges past 20 yds. & Yes will reserve yers

#17 eb6300

eb6300

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

I didnt use a level on scope just tried to eyeball it I thought once I get to shooting alot Ill proberly remount it someone told me to put fingernail polish on threads so they dont back out have you ever heard of that ? I havent done it yet also dont even know if I was holding bow level I was trying not to flinch and use the right line thanks

#18 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have used fingernail polish, its easier to break loose than locktite. I set my Bow on my sand bags n use a torpedo lvl on rail to lvl. then i use a plumb line hanging down at 20 yds, i also put lvl on scope cap to see if'en its lvl. Then snug up good

#19 bski

bski

• Banned
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

300 lbs.....