View New Content Mark all as read |  

Lightweight SA Sports Fever Recurve Crossbow - Review

• Please log in to reply

#1 GSPTrainer3

GSPTrainer3

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Okay, I made my decision and purchased the SA Sports 175lb Fever Recurve Bow for less than $150... So far it was so worth it! As a small woman I was looking for a comfortable, light and easy to handle crossbow without lacking quality or performance. It has a speed of up to 240 F.P.S. and it weighs a mere 4.85 lbs. this package includes it all, scope, 4 - 16" aluminum bolts with 125gr field tips (the manufaturer also recommends 20" carbon bolts with it), detachable quiver w. mount, padded sling, dot sight, rail lube, a universal rope cocking device and more... Assembling it was a little bit a pain in the ... as the screwholes weren't always drilled straight, but with my husbands help no problem :good: So far I have just been shooting it some on an indoor archery range, but I really like it! I would say a great crossbow for either a backup or a beginner! The light part of it made it perfect comfort for me. I was concerned about the low price and the quality coming with that, so far not an issue. comparing it to my experience with my husbands wicked ridge warrior compound crossbow, I am confident I will come close to the performance his bow delivers in the field. Close, not the same but not too far apart. It's a nice little crossbow and sweet package for the price. As my 5 year old grows up I hope I will be able to still get this package by the time he's ready! will add occassional feedback with more experience and field experience reviews over time.

#2 georgiaboy

georgiaboy

• Members
  • 344 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Sounds like a home run!! 8)
I've never heard of this bow...some pics would be nice. :)

#3 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Pics and info: http://www.sa-sports...ws/Ambush.aspx

thanks for info. great for those with a low budget and wanting to get into the sport. Looking forward to hearing further reports on your bow... happy huntin.

Edited by Lightfoot, 09 June 2012 - 07:02 AM.

• GSPTrainer3 likes this

#4 reticle4

reticle4

• Members
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Lots of great information here regarding recurve bows and crossbows in general.  Reading up on different makes and models (features/benefits) is part of the fun.

SA Sports is a relatively new company, so most folks don't know much about.  Yes, pics would be great if you have a chance.  Sounds like you found a nice fit.

Congratulations on your new crossbow!  Sounds like you're having a great time with it.  Keep us informed on how she performs.
  • GSPTrainer3 likes this

#5 GSPTrainer3

GSPTrainer3

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

Sounds like a home run!! 8)
I've never heard of this bow...some pics would be nice. :)

will do, soon!

#6 GSPTrainer3

GSPTrainer3

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Pics and info: http://www.sa-sports...ws/Ambush.aspx

thanks for info. great for those with a low budget and wanting to get into the sport. Looking forward to hearing further reports on your bow... happy huntin.

Thanks! Also who's interested, I bought from SportsmansGuide.com I think Amazon.com also sells them.

#7 johnnyo8148

johnnyo8148

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

I purchased this cross bow around the beginning of July and for the price I can honestly say that I am not disappointed. My only issue was when I bought it, it only came with the four bolts and the seller did not have any 16" bolts on the site. The good news is that I called the manufacturer directly and they were great. I wound up purchasing 6-20" Carbon bolts and IMO, they fly better than the 16" bolts. I am new to the cross bow world (primarily a compound user) and wanted something inexpensive to try so I could determine if I wanted to hunt with one. GSPTrainer3, I think that you will be pleased with this bow...again, I'm not an expert on cross bows and of course, there are faster ones out there, but at 10-20 yards, this one will take down a deer. I hope you like it and can't wait to hear some success stories.

BTW, for those who may be interested in this crossbow, there is a great YouTube video showing you how to set it up -- couldn't be easier.

• Broke Winger likes this

#8 GarryWiles

GarryWiles

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

I've shot one of these at a local bow shop. I was told it was a Chinese bow. One thing attributing to the lower cost of the bow. The owner admitted the stock bolts suck. Instead of either brass or aluminum inserts, they use nylon. Upgrading to a standard 20" carbon bolt is a must in my opinion. The scope is a bit different -- the extra lines inside aren't needed I feel as it just distracts the shooter from the target. My BIGGEST issue with the bow is that I don't believe it's a 175# crossbow -- watch when he's stringing that and holding the nylon string as he fires it. Pennsylvania has a regulation for crossbows that requires a 125# draw weight to legally hunt with it. I agree that it'll knock a deer down at 20 yrds w/o a problem, but I know I can do the same thing with my fathers old Whamo 80# aluminum limb recurve crossbow.

#9 ghostgoblin22

ghostgoblin22

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

yeah this is my first crossbow i bought, its a good back up or beginner bow, very lightweight, the accuracy isnt the best, the scope is decent i might say, i had 17.5 bolts cut for this bow, and got a thicker string than the one it came with, i got about 5fps more with those changes, i wrapped adhesive camo cloth around the limbs to make it quiter hunter, and with a tru glo sight it wasnt a bad xbow one bit

#10 HOGSHOOTER62

HOGSHOOTER62

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

I also bought a SA SPORTS CROSSBOW the 200LB VENDETTA so far I love it its fast. Hope you get that big buck of your dreams.HOGSHOOTER62

#11 bowdup

bowdup

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

I

I also bought a SA SPORTS CROSSBOW the 200LB VENDETTA so far I love it its fast. Hope you get that big buck of your dreams.HOGSHOOTER62

X2.  Really like mine too.  Best bargain in crossbows!!!

They're not chinese.....they are made by Poe Lang Archery in Tiawan.

#12 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Really? Last time I checked Taiwan (Formosa) is the result of Chiang Kai-Sheks Nationalists Chinese move from mainland China in 1949 when Mao Tse Tung's communists booted them. Both Poe Lang and Taiwan are chinese. Cactus 

#13 bowdup

bowdup

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Really? Last time I checked Taiwan (Formosa) is the result of Chiang Kai-Sheks Nationalists Chinese move from mainland China in 1949 when Mao Tse Tung's communists booted them. Both Poe Lang and Taiwan are chinese. Cactus 

Maybe you should check again.  That's ok though.....I did it for you.

http://en.wikipedia....an_independence

http://en.wikipedia....tatus_of_Taiwan

#14 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Both confirm that it's known as the ROC,( Republic of China) and the people are ethnic Chinese, until they change to Republic of Taiwan IMO it's still Chinese. 

#15 bowdup

bowdup

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ok, Cactus.  If you want it to be Chinese it's ok with me.  Chinese or Tiawanese....I'm fine with that.  Still the best bargain in crossbows!!

I'm curious, though......you checking out the reviews and thinking of getting rid of that Mission?  MIght be worth your time checking out a Poe Lang!

#16 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

What happened to the support the USA and only buy from the US manufacturers mentality so predominant on CBN ? Cactus

#17 ghostgoblin22

ghostgoblin22

• Members
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

its asian thats all the matters lol, sa sports bow is a good back up, now i have barnett crossbow for life, but if something happens to it you need a back up

#18 bowdup

bowdup

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

What happened to the support the USA and only buy from the US manufacturers mentality so predominant on CBN ? Cactus

Cactus, I'm sure your aware that that xb-1 sitting on top of your Mission is either made in Japan or China.....right???

#19 bowdup

bowdup

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

its asian thats all the matters lol, sa sports bow is a good back up, now i have barnett crossbow for life, but if something happens to it you need a back up

Agreed GG22.  I just don't have a problem making it my primary bow and some feel I should.

#20 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Bowdup: Let's cut to the chase. let's agree that Poe Lang and Taiwan are an Oriental Company in an Oriental Country, agreed?  What I've always found distasteful and really what I consider a self centered attitude is that the majority on CBN who are Americans considered only American produced products worthwhile , forgetting that both Excalibur and Middleton are Canadian companies. We all know that both US and Canadian Companies outsource their manufacturing to the 3rd world (China, Taiwan, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan Phillippines etc.) countries for slave wages. I expect that a lot of machined parts are imported and the products listed as US and Canadian are in actuality manufactured overseas but constructed in Amrica and are therefore considered produced in the USA and are acceptable. I've noticed that anything listed by a Canadian on the Market site even though an American product has to be almost reduced to a ridiculous low price to attract a US buyer based on the buy America only concept, however, there is no problem selling to Canadians. I firmly believe that as neighbours sharing the continent that if we don't cut through this crap we as countries are both doomed to fail, I find no pleasure in the horrific results of the economic disaster that has hit the USA, so ya I really do think that if a Poe Lang Bow is the only one feasable for someone go for it, stay in the game. Cactus