View New Content Mark all as read |  

Small split on limb: loctite or warranty?

strykezone limb split crack damage warranty stryker bowtech sz350

• Please log in to reply

#1 Justiss

Justiss

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Hello everyone.

This is my first post here at Crossbow Nation although I've been a lurker for some time now. I wish I was posting under more fortunate circumstances, but I've got some small damage to one of the limbs on my brand new SZ350 and wanted to get your opinion on what I should do.

I was out shooting my new xbow this afternoon (just got it today) and after shooting about 9 times I noticed this small split along the upper right limb (approximately 1mm thick and a few inches long). I don't recall there being any damage on the limb, but perhaps a rock scraped it while I was cocking it?

I'm assuming this isn't normal, but could it be repaired with loctite or do I need to send it to Bowtech for warranty? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Attached are pictures of the split. Let me know if you think a different angle would be more helpful.

Attached Images

• 2012-06-14 18.40.31.jpg
  • 2012-06-14 18.41.18.jpg
  • 2012-06-14 18.42.08.jpg

#2 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

First off,Welcome to crossbow nation.You absolutely have a warranty issue,waste no time contacting your dealer

#3 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

It kind of looks like it was nicked by something before and then when cocking it it broke loose. I'm just guessing by the other white marks further up on the limb. I would have it fixed. I'm guessing they will just want to replace the limbs for you.
  • rampage likes this

#4 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationSaint Peters, MO

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

Welcome to Crossbow Nation.

I agree you need to have Bowtech give you new limbs or a new bow. I would contact the dealer you got the bow from and let them deal with Bowtech. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

#5 Justiss

Justiss

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thanks everyone. I was hoping it'd be an easy fix, but safety is my biggest concern. Hopefully the warranty process will be relatively painless.

I will say that I found the crossbow incredibly accurate and a pleasure to draw. Can't wait to be able to shoot it again.

#6 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to the Nation...Sorry it's not under better circumstance! This is definately a warranty issue. Bowtech has had a know limb issue (not so much on the 350's). Contact your dealer & let us know how this turns out!

#7 webfarmer

webfarmer

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Other than those white marks, it looks like classic limb delamination to me. I'm on my 3rd set with my 380. That said, I shot mine extensively for months with the 2nd set showing signs of delamination on one limb with no problems. If you bought from a dealer, you are good to go for repair. Enjoy the 350 - it's a keeper!

#8 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Other than those white marks, it looks like classic limb delamination to me. I'm on my 3rd set with my 380. That said, I shot mine extensively for months with the 2nd set showing signs of delamination on one limb with no problems. If you bought from a dealer, you are good to go for repair. Enjoy the 350 - it's a keeper!

Farmer is it safe to shoot with that split? I personally would be hesitant to flex those limbs once I saw that!

#9 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationSaint Peters, MO

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Farmer is it safe to shoot with that split? I personally would be hesitant to flex those limbs once I saw that!

I agree! That's a lot of pressure on those limbs. And your face gets pretty dog gone close to those things. yikes!

#10 Justiss

Justiss

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Yeh, as soon as I noticed the split I stopped firing until I could post on here. After everyone's recommendation of warranty work, I'll just wait until I get back new limbs/xbow before firing again. Such a bummer too, because I was having a blast with it. I just hope the dealer and/or Bowtech don't give me too much trouble with the warranty.

Has anyone else had issues of delamination? Webfarmer's case of being on his 3rd set of limbs and my own experience worries me a little as far as longterm durability is concerned. I definitely wasn't being rough with the crossbow, but maybe it's just the material of the limbs?

Thanks again everyone for being helpful and friendly.

#11 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I would absolutely not shoot the crossbow again. Get with Bowtech and your retailer. I'm sure they will get you fixed up ASAP. Once you're up and running, let us know how you like the rig. I hear the triggers are excellent.

#12 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

This is a classic example of tension failure. It is a result of "nicking" the limb on the corner or edge of the limb. You yourself pointed it out and it is somewhat apparent by the other marks noted by Urban Legend. I don’t like using the word delaminating in this case because it really has not "delaminated" per se.

What you guys need to understand is that this can happen with most any crossbow. Care really needs to be taken to this area of the limb especially while hunting and moving your crossbow around. On the back of the limb the fibers run continuous and are under a tension load. On the face or inside of the limb those same fibers are in compression and that is why you will never see them "pop" like you do on the tension side. Take any continuous fiber limb on any piece of archery tackle and nick it on the tension side, especially at the corner, and the result will be the same no matter who makes it.

A sharp corner is typically not very friendly in tension. Limbs with a ground or sanded radius on the edge usually perform better and take a little more abuse. Adding that finishing process does add time and cost to the limb.

You should get it fixed now. If it was hunting season I would tell you to break it off, sanded or file the edge smooth and wrap it with some electrical tape till hunting season was over so you would not be without your crossbow and then get it fixed after hunting season was over. That’s not the case here. Get it taken care of now.

Just want you guys to have a little better understanding and realize all materials have their limitations. Most all archery limbs have very high glass content, near 70%, so they can be brittle.

As pointed out Bowtech has had limb issues in the past related to hot design or engineering but this is not really related to that in my opinion.

Let us know what they do and say.

• See4miles and DocR like this

#13 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

This is not an unheard of problem with crossbow limbs BUT Bowtech has had more than their share of issues with this. The 350 has had less issues than the 380....I hope your expierence with your dealer & Bowtech is a good one. People that own the 350 really like it!
  • See4miles likes this

#14 webfarmer

webfarmer

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

My dealer is 25 miles away and the route is ugly with one way streets. So I really dislike going there even with GPS lol. With the 2nd set of limbs (one limb of the 4 delaminating), I called my dealer (Schupbach's) who is "THE" place to go in southern Michigan. I trust their judgement. So I asked them about shooting it and their response was it is a cosmetic issue. They knew of other 380 owners that shot the heck of their bows with the same condition. Not everybody lives in the city or has the time. That or we're crazy daredevils ha-ha.

To you and me, it looks dangerous. I badly needed to shoot the 380 to sight in the new scope and try some new arrows. I shot at least 100 arrows before I took it in for the third set of limbs. No change to that one limb's delamination process and no problems to my already ugly face. It sort of coincides with Bowtech's claim it is a cosmetic issue. So I have experience shooting with delamination. I'm not recommending to anyone to shoot with the limb(s) in that condition. Just expressing what my experience is. 3rd time's the charm it seems - shot the heck out of it again and this time no limb problems.
  • Aimo likes this

#15 webfarmer

webfarmer

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

This is a classic example of tension failure. It is a result of "nicking" the limb on the corner or edge of the limb. You yourself pointed it out and it is somewhat apparent by the other marks noted by Urban Legend. I don’t like using the word delaminating in this case because it really has not "delaminated" per se. snip.

Not disagreeing with you xbowguy because of what the OP mentioned with regard to "maybe" nicking the limb (and those odd white spots). However, it is exactly what every "delaminated" limb I've seen looks like (mine and other 380's only). Little surface strips popping up and then extending exactly like the OP's limb. I could tell that mine was going that way because I could feel it with my finger tips before it actually popped up. This I started to do with the first set of replacement limbs (2nd set on the bow). I still do it now with the 3rd installed set just because I don't trust it to NOT delaminate if you know what I mean. Mine were more in the center of the limbs also. Just my observations =@

Edited by webfarmer, 15 June 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#16 irish1169

irish1169

• Members
  • 1,073 posts
  • Locationgrawn, michigan

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

your going to love this bow, ive got one, havent heard much about 350s limbs, but this bow is a joy to shoot and shoots fast and hard, good luck

#17 Justiss

Justiss

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I've got an update on this topic. So I contacted my online dealer and shipped out my crossbow on June 20th and it was supposed to arrive on the June 27th (at Bowtech's headquarters, per the direction of my dealer). I didn't hear from Bowtech, which had me concerned, but I remained somewhat patient until I tried calling them last week. Unfortunately they were out of the office from Wednesday to Friday and their phone displayed the same out of office message on Monday.

I finally got a hold of someone yesterday, but they couldn't find my crossbow in the system and it was at the end of their business day and they couldn't manually check through their inventory. Obviously this had me preparing for the worst, but I luckily just got a call back from Bowtech. They found my sz350, repaired it under warranty and are shipping it back to me.

Overall, this seems in line with the less than outstanding service I've heard about from others. Had I not gone out of my way to contact Bowtech over the phone, I'm not sure I would've ever gotten my crossbow back. Having said that, I'm glad they've repaired it without any further hassle and I'll be able to start shooting it again soon.

Edited by Justiss, 11 July 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#18 lastinline

lastinline

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

good to know theyve gotten better. how were you able to call them?. i didnt think bowtech had a phone number for the public.

#19 Guest_hankenhunter_*

Guest_hankenhunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

I have to disagree that a small bump that makes a chip in the clear coat could cause the delamination. If that is the case, there is something seriously wrong with the design. If your taking a weapon into the woods, you have to expect small dings here and there. My old .303 has more scars than I do. The only worry I ever have with my bow is accidentally cutting a string with a broadhead. When I'm on my belly crawling up on a nice buck, I don't have to worry whether a scratch or a ding from a sharp rock is is going to make my limb split. Respecfully,
Hank

#20 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 876 posts
  • LocationCanton-Michigan

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Welcome to CN ..the most expert people onlin ( not me for sure :) )

You should get it fixed now. If it was hunting season I would tell you to break it off, sanded or file the edge smooth and wrap it with some electrical tape till hunting season was over so you would not be without your crossbow and then get it fixed after hunting season was over. That’s not the case here. Get it taken care of now.

I agree , And i don't know if it gonna make any changes with your sighting or accuracy.
Please keep us updated

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strykezone, limb, split, crack, damage, warranty, stryker, bowtech, sz350