View New Content Mark all as read |  

Why reverse limbs?

• Please log in to reply

#1 marvan

marvan

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

I was wondering what are the real benefits of a reverse limb crossbow over a regular crossbow. Is it quieter? Faster? Or just a little more narrow?

#2 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Quieter is debatable. There are good arguments either way.

Theoretically they are faster because you can get a much longer power stroke. But to me the real advantage is you can get very good speed with much less draw weight. Less draw weight can result in less shock when fired, which means less vibration. So you could argue less vibration means less noise.

I think most reverse limb bows are about the same width as a "traditional" xbow (~24inches) so no big advantage there. I do believe there is one very popular reverse limb bow that is super narrow. So I guess you could make the argument with that one, but it doesn't have impressive speed (if that matters).

IMO the most important advantage is how a reverse limb bow balances in your hand when shouldered. The weight is in the middle where traditionally there is more weight out towards the end.

*** DISCLAIMER ***
These are just my opinions. If you disagree please don't call me names. You will hurt my feelings. :(
  • maad likes this

#3 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,155 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:35 PM

They are much narrower....some ARE faster but I've read they lose energy faster. Can anyone verify this??

#4 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

They DO NOT lose speed faster. It would be against the laws of physics.

I've been shooting a reverse energy vertical for over 5yrs, and they are quieter. The crossbow versions are plenty fast (due to the longer power stroke), much narrower (making them much handier in tight cover), and since the limbs are mounted further rearward they tend to balance much better (the weight is between your hands instead of hanging out front).
  • Ventilator likes this

#5 MAB

MAB

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationCentral KY

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:44 AM

IMO. I would think the balance would be a great plus for accuracy.

#6 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

1. Balance is "much" better over a front mounted riser/limbs. Much less weight on the front of the bow and moved to the center or just behind center.

2. Narrower than most other bows. The parallel limb design has been used exclusivly (so far) on the reversed limb crossbows.

3. Quieter than most bows. This isn't debateable. When you have more parallel limbs, you have a quieter shot. Can front mounted risers be quiet...? Sure, but the limbs...again, need to be somewhat parallel.

4. Faster...not yet. Haven't had a 400fps arrow leave this type bow that I've heard if....yet.

Mike (got a Recon, thinking about the Fury)

#7 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

4. Faster...not yet. Haven't had a 400fps arrow leave this type bow that I've heard if....yet.

FYI Scorpyd has 2 models that are 400fps or more.

#8 marvan

marvan

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

thanks for the replys

#9 Yngwie Lesso

Yngwie Lesso

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, Illinois

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

FYI Scorpyd has 2 models that are 400fps or more.

Yea, the SLP with 425 and 400.. but for $1300.00........... :help: :wacko:

#10 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yea, the SLP with 425 and 400.. but for $1300.00........... :help: :wacko:

werd