View New Content Mark all as read |  

FFP variable power for tac-15?

• Please log in to reply

#1 shopgun

shopgun

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

I've been searching and can find nothing. Does anyone know of a ffp variable with ranging hashmarks or dot set up for the tac 15 speeds? In a hunting situation, i would prefer not to have to adjust a dial as i am accustomed to using similar ranging reticles on long range rifle.

#2 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

I've been searching and can find nothing. Does anyone know of a ffp variable with ranging hashmarks or dot set up for the tac 15 speeds? In a hunting situation, i would prefer not to have to adjust a dial as i am accustomed to using similar ranging reticles on long range rifle.

I've been begging Vortex to make one. But you can use a HHA dial for the center xhair and, figure out all the yardage marks in these scopes for hunting.
Vortex Viper FFP PST/HS models-~22oz. or less than a xb30. Falcon Menace FFP/B20 reticle Heavy though.
I've been looking hard too for too long.
c-t

#3 Twanger

Twanger

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'd be interested to hear if you find the scope you're looking for.
I'm simply compromised a bit.
At 40 yards and in I'll have the scope set to 4X and just gap shoot the mil-dots.
Crosshair is 20 yds, next dot down is 30, and next dot down is 40 yds.

Beyond 40 the plan is to turn power to 7X (max for my scope) and use the HHA and range-finder so I can aim right on with the center crosshair.

#4 shopgun

shopgun

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

So, hopefully in the not too distant future the manufacturers will figure out that people that buy $1200 crossbows just MIGHT be willing to spend more than $100 on the glass that goes on it.

#5 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

Exactly. Send some E-mails! Vortex has the features we need put into one package.

#6 Camoman73

Camoman73

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

These optics manufacturers need to address crossbows shooting over 350 fps.

#7 xbow755

xbow755

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi All,
The scope manufacturers as most of us know have trailed the development efforts on the crossbow market because they, like everybody else, haven't seen much money to be made, so the dollars needed to do the development work wasn't there. Now, with the big dogs, like Easton, Mathews, and all the others entering the market, they too will rethink their positions.

Also, as more high speed crossbows become available, it means the average shot distance is increasing with it, so this brings new demands to their business. It doesn't solve our problems today, but tomorrow is just around corner. Many companies like ScorpyD and Barnet with their Ghost Series have far exceeded the 400 fps. limits. What's more, there are prototype crossbows that are well into the test cycle that are shooting at between 500 and 700 fps. I don't expect to see these units on the market in less than the next year, but my point is, they will be produced in the near future and what do you think they'll do to what's considered a very feasible shot distance???

One way or another, better scopes are comng. Hang in there!!!

Regards,

Xbow755

#8 topgun80

topgun80

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

What's more, there are prototype crossbows that are well into the test cycle that are shooting at between 500 and 700 fps. I don't expect to see these units on the market in less than the next year,

Xbow755

Really? I would love to hear more :)

#9 GatewayShepherd

GatewayShepherd

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

What are the typical drops for the TAC's?

With a 20 yard setting how many inches of drop at say 30-40-50-60?
With this information somebody could figure out the drop in MOA.
Several of the scope manufactures will custom make knobs or crosshairs to match the drop.
Just an idea...and I would like to hear the numbers if anybody has done this.

#10 Twanger

Twanger

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Somebody here (I forget who) was brave enough to shoot some arrows through a Chrony at 100 yards which allowed me to calculate a BC for standard Tac15 arrows. This was then used to calculate the ballistics chart below.

It's more useful as a rough guide than anything.
I'd strongly recommend you use field testing to sight-in for hunting.

Posted Image