View New Content Mark all as read |  

PSE Starfire Crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 KICKNBASS

KICKNBASS

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

I found a Starfire 150 which seems to be in good condition. I was wondering what the value of one of these would be, and how good of a xbow it would be for me to get the feel of one. If I really wanted to, could I hunt with it? I'm looking for the good and the bad.

#2 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,817 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:03 AM

I you really, really wanted to , yes you could hunt with it. They are very heavy and loud. I don't even know if you could find arrows for it anymore. It takes a certain type with a special nock. I would say stay away from it unless you just want to get for a collectors item.

#3 Cadet Jack

Cadet Jack

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

Arrows are available at Mary's Bait Shop near Washington CH, Ohio. I don't have their phone number in my laptop (I'm at SEATAC Airport). They have a web site, so you can get it there.

Actually. the bow is the same weight as the Horton Legend, but there is a perceived higher weight because the stock is aluminum/magnesium alloy. It's a bullpup stock and very comfortable to shoot. It is an excellent shooter, but because the stock is hollow, it works like a guitar body and tends to amplify the noise. Solution: Take the prod off, block off the trigger assembly to keep it free and fill the stock with household insulation foam. A couple of squirts will be enough to fill it. (You don't want the foam getting into the trigger or linkage.)

The bow is 1st generation compound crossbow and has an excellent rolling block trigger assembly. It's only downfall is that is is old... The last production year for the metal-stocked PSE bows was 1989... So, your bow is a minimum of 20 years old and until something breaks, I would not hesitate to use it for hunting. Considering the numbers of them that were sold over the length of time they were sold, I know that they have killed many thousands of deer as efficiently as anything else out there.

Jack

Edited by Cadet Jack, 07 February 2009 - 09:30 AM.

#4 kyhunter

kyhunter

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

Someone gave me PSE Starfire crossbow recently and I only have 1 arrow. I know they don't manufacture them anymore, but is Mary's Bait Shop the only place to get these arrows? I would love to use this turkey and deer hunting but would need more arrows. The name of the arrow that came with it is: Fire Flite 8.

Also, can a archery store make a custom nock for this xbow since they are so rare?

#5 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, most any vertical bow arrow will work in that bow.

It has to have the vert. bow style nock in any case. Just do a search to see if anyone has large diameter nocks for the larger crossbow arrows.

What ever you do, try to keep the arrow weight up around 400gr. or higher so it doesn't act like, simulate a dry fire.

Mike

#6 Cadet Jack

Cadet Jack

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

:(ONLY use a 22" 2219 arrow in that bow. Preferably an extruded, not welded shaft. Some welded shafts have been known to split the base end when fired. The arrow MUST have the PSE crossbow nock for it to work properly. A Bjorn type nock as commonly used on older vertical bow arrows has too small of a sproat, which, when forced into the large Starfie cable, tends to split after a shot or two and can cause a dry fire.

If you value the bow and your own safety,. only use the proper arrow.

Jack

#7 Da Troof

Da Troof

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks.

Edited by Da Troof, 04 September 2011 - 07:13 AM.

#8 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

The older line of PSE x-bows were excellent x-bows, especially for the time. Though slow by today's standards, when set up well(especially the arrow, bolt, rest), they are capable of great deer killing accuracy to 50yds+. The cable is thicker than bow strings and only the White PSE nock should be used, or you will likely split the conventional nocks. This could ruin your whole day. These x-bows are better than a # of x-bows being sold today; however, there are some x-bows being sold today that are significant advancements over this 25-20 year old technology. The bolts can be bought at any number of well established bow/x-bow shops.

#9 TommyBoyMartin

TommyBoyMartin

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:48 PM

Ok fast guys. I need some answers.
A friend gave me this bow and it needs some work.
I "J welded" the shoulder rest which was broken.
The bow is missing the front site.
I think there is a cheek rest which is also missing.

I do not know what some of these terms mean
bullpup stock
bolt/bolt length/camo 2219 bolts
rest
White PSE nock
ONLY use a 22" 2219 arrow in that bow, extruded
sproat
dry fire
vertical bow arrow, weight up around 400gr, Fire Flite 8
Mary's Bait Shop, Washington CH, Ohio
Take the prod off
Some of the things listed above are just for my reference from the posts I have read in this thread. I believe this bow will do the job for me and the price is right. Help me knock one down with this bad boy.

I hope to fast track this bow and get out once or twice before our season ends in ohio. I'll be talking to the two archery shops locally Jan 18 2010.

Help a newbie out please.

#10 bucknbill

bucknbill

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

Tommy, these are common terms but you might be better served with the bow shop explaining...2219 refers to the diameter and thickness of arrow wall..22in is length of arrow..rest is where your arrow will lay on bow when it is cocked ,,nock is the part of the arrow that clips on string..the sproat is the hole in the nock where the bowstring goes..dryfire is shooting your bow without an arrow (very bad to do)i think it would be very beneficial to speak to a bow shop that sells crossbows in person...good luck..they will be a big help in getting you off to a good start and may have an indoor range where you can shoot

#11 TommyBoyMartin

TommyBoyMartin

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Bill!
I'm off to the shop at end of day.

ANYONE HAVE A MANUEL FOR THE PSC CROSSBOW, STARFIRE II

#12 seph2010

seph2010

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

hi there i am just getting into bow hunting and i have a starfire 150 a guy at a shop here in ontario told me to use orange nocks, they seem to work good. ive been making my own arrows. should i be using white nocks instead, i have yet to get a deer with a bow and am quite excited to do so but want to make sure everything is accurate.. any tips will help

#13 Cadet Jack

Cadet Jack

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

Seph,

See the postings on page 1 of this thread, regarding your arrows. Don't deviate or you will be buying a new bow sooner than later. Also, there is a safety issue if you are not using the right arrow. Shoot smart and live to hunt again.

#14 crossbow hunter

crossbow hunter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

i live in athens ohio and my bow shop sell the complete arrow for the pse starfire foxfire crossbow

the proper arrow is 2219 and 22 inches long. with 4 feltch

if you have a bunch of 2219 arrows. ebay seller has the pse nocks here is the item number 360239192540 just go to ebay .

the arrows are 5.00 dollars at ohio valley trading exchange

marys bait shop 5.50 a arrow shiping is a lot

there easton there bronz with a little camo: cool:

Edited by crossbow hunter, 05 March 2010 - 02:24 AM.

#15 crossbow hunter

crossbow hunter

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:48 AM

hi there i am just getting into bow hunting and i have a starfire 150 a guy at a shop here in ontario told me to use orange nocks, they seem to work good. ive been making my own arrows. should i be using white nocks instead, i have yet to get a deer with a bow and am quite excited to do so but want to make sure everything is accurate.. any tips will help

you should us the white pse nocks anything else may break your crossbow injury you. you can buy the nocks on ebay heres the ebay item number 360239192540 my bow shop sells the complete arrow

#16 captjoe

captjoe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Anyone know where I can get a new cable/string for the PSE Foxfire or the measurements to get one made? PSE is no help whatsoever.

Any help greatly appreciated.

#17 cknfrmr

cknfrmr

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

i hear what your saying captjoe on pse. they could not tell me anything either. i must have called right before you called with no answers from them. i would know nothing if were'nt for these postings on crossbow nation. i am not far from you in kernersville, NC. There is a foxfire for sale on ebay with a few days left if you think you can use parts off it. good luck

#18 Sherwood

Sherwood

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

Posted Image

This is an older book from the '80s that shows two PSE crossbows from that time. I'm not sure when they went out of production but parts availability could be very challenging.

Sherwood

#19 Cadet Jack

Cadet Jack

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Spoke with Max at Mary's Bait Shop a few minutes ago. Their PSE arrows are $4.49 each, not the $5.50 that crossbowhunter states.

Jack

#20 danturkey

danturkey

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:40 PM

I have a pse starfire and was looking for an arrow rest if anybody has a suggestion. email if you would like dan@steamboatlakeotfitters.com,thanks