View New Content Mark all as read |  

Outdoor Life Review

• Please log in to reply

#1 jimkempf

jimkempf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Just looked at the 2012 August Outdoor Life Magazine Crossbow review. Looks pretty good for SCORPYD! The VENTILATOR 150 (we don't make a 165# Ventilator, they tested a 150) was the fastest (393.2 fps w/415 grain) smoothest (14.66 m/s2) one of the quietest (94.3 dBA, but keep in mind the speed difference), highest KE at 20 yards (131#), least amount of arrow drop at 40 yards (9.3"), and the BIGGY... 2.09 pound trigger the "best we've tested"! Though I am greatful that Outdoor Life included us in the test, I don't quite understand is how the VENT' got a "B" for performance, when it was the fastest, smoothest,least vibration, one of the quietest, least arrow drop at 40 yards, highest KE at 20 yards, and the best trigger???

Oh well... get your order in... its going to get BUSY!!!

#2 vh64

vh64

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Locationnortheastern Michigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Congratulations jim on a great bow, now lets see you top it. Lol

I really don't want you to for a while.......I'm not exactly ready to buy another scorpyd next year too but if you tempt me enough... ...well.

#3 jimkempf

jimkempf

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for all of the support we have received over these past several years. We will ALWAYS strive to make the BEST crossbow you can buy!

#4 johnha

johnha

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSE Pennsylvania

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

IMO, Scorpyd deserves the good press.

#5 bowmanxx

bowmanxx

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

CONGRATS!!! As soon as I shot mine I knew that it was a winner!

#6 Jvac3

Jvac3

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

Congrats Jim.On the Ventilator
Im enjoying mine Very much Well Worth the Wait Great crossbow. To all the Scorpyd customers waiting .

Edited by Jvac3, 20 July 2012 - 09:29 PM.

#7 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Jim,

I think we all are scratching out heads on that one. Thanks for checking in with us, and don't be a stranger. Here were my thoughts on what I read Tuesday.

http://www.crossbown...-crossbow-test/

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Just picked up the issue. They list the Ventilator as a 165 pounds of draw??? Duh!

The price is what put the 380 at the top, because the Ventilator beat it in almost everything else. Best Trigger, Speed, KE, least amount of arrow drop at 40 yards, least amount of vibration of all bows tested.

Yet they give the 380 a A-, and the Ventilator a B for performance??? Must be performance per dollar?

SZ 380: Trigger @ 2 pounds 13.1 ounces.

Ventilator: "The 2.09 pound trigger is outlandishly smooth and the best we've tested"

They also list both the Ten Point Carbon Elite XLT and Excalibur Eclipse XT in the NOISE (DBA) category as being quieter than the SZ 380 and the Ventilator. Not to my ears.

It mentioned they used a 415 gr arrow for the testing, but due to varying draw weights of the bows, speed is not a consideration in the final scores. Looks like a few other things some find important, were not considered as well?

Objective categories are weight, peak noise, and vibration. Subjective categories are ergonomics, safety (design), cocking (ease of operation), fit and finish, balance, trigger feel, and Price/Value.

They also mentioned this about the ventilator. "Our bow arrived with an unappealing silver finish, though it's available in all black and black/camo." So they did not like the gray Ventilator, but several like it the best? Also mentioned "However, even with its short slide-style cocker, the Ventilator was a handful to load." So they had the direct pull sled instead of the rope sled with 50% reduded pull like they would have had on all the other models. I like the direct pull sled, but not everybody is going to like it.

So I would suggest that anyone in the market go shoot all the bows and decide for yourself. You would think that they would have their information like bow poundages straight before publishing? These tests are also more subjective in nature.

The only way to test these bows with no manufacturer influence, is to purchase at least 3 samples (5 would be better) of each model from different retailers, and use the average score from each model for the final score. If they receive these bows as samples from the manufacturer, these results aren't worth spit to me. And that goes for all of them.

Not impressed, but probably wasted $4 on worse things in my life. After looking through the rest of the magazine, I know why I let my OL subscription expire several years ago. More advertizing than substance!

#8 Redm2

Redm2

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

The Ventilator is a significant step forward...this is coming from a former Telson owner. I look forward to more top notch products from Scorpyd. Congrats from a very satisfied customer!

#9 bluecreek170

bluecreek170

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

Best crossbow i ever owned and ive owned them all!

#10 ben911

ben911

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

ventilator is very the best 2012 crossbow.
don't stop scorpyd evolution,your are the first #1 real crossbow maker,you change the xb world and that on each years!
thanks Jim :db:

Edited by ben694, 22 July 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#11 Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Jim for making a great crossbow. I think alot of crossbow companies are scratching there heads thinking why didn't we think of that. All my friends have there vertical bows or crossbows up for sale after seeing my Ventilator 150 and seeing how it shoots. Keep up the good work, and thank you and your staff. Russ.

#12 445 supermag

445 supermag

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I cant wait to see what comes out for the 2013 ATA. Should be awesome!!

But i have to say no crossbow will ever get me to sell my SLP 165. I will keep it forever!

Brian

#13 Redclub

Redclub

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't have a Vent because they are not compatable with the Bad River Peep so I had to settle with a Telson and that is a nice setup

Attached Images

• Bow w scope.jpg

#14 Redclub

Redclub

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Some more

Attached Images

• Cross bow w scope.jpg
  • Tagged out.jpg