TRT Ultralite Horton Parts missing

• Please log in to reply

#1 stlamarc

stlamarc

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSouth-East Tennessee

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'm new to Crossbownation and I've been hangin' out in the forums since I started looking for my first crossbow. I finally decided to purchase a Horton TRT Ultralite Express based on ALL the good reviews I found in here and all over the web. Seemed to be a great purchase at a good price. I purchased it online and was very excited when I got it. Putting everything together following the instruction to the lettre was very exciting too. I felt like a little kid. :-)

After looking at it closely, I realized the retention spring was missing on it. No retention spring in the box anywhere and no screw to hold it in place either. I called up Norton the next morning and they told me they would send me one right away. Wow! nice customer service I thought....even though the part should not have been missing in the first place right!!
3-4 days later I got the retention spring, but wait....THEY FORGOT THE SCREW!!! DAM IT! I specifically told the guy not to forget the screw..... I call again the next day to ask about the screw and they simply told me they thought I already had the screw. Oh well!! we'll send you one right away sir. I got to admit, they got good customer service. Nice and friendly.

Ok, I now have the screw and can finally put my BRAND NEW HORTON to the test after installing the retention spring. I'm excited!!!
Please guys, keep in mind that it is my first crossbow and I'm not an expert. I start shooting the bow for about 5-6 times to see if nothing blows up. Ok all looks good, so I can start setting up the red dot at 20 yards. After 3-4 more arrows I realize the anti-dry fire mechanism doesn't deactivate when inserting an arrow and It's harder to remove the safety on the bow....hmmm...strange. Something is really wrong here. I start taking a closer look and realize the whole trigger mechanism is slowly lifting from the stock. I start pulling on it a little and the whole trigger mechanism and red dot broke loose from the stock completely. What the hell is going on here!!!!!......I may sound stupid when I say this but it seems like there's a huge screw which is supposed to hold this stuff together...What!! another part missing!? This thing could have blown up in my face any minute....

Now I'm really pissed and I don't know what to do with this BRAND NEW Horton with several missing parts on it....who knows what else is missing on this bow.
I will call Horton again on Monday and also call the reseller, but honestly I'm not sure I want this piece of junk anymore. I want to go buy something else....seriously.

Any advice? Am I freaking out for nothing here?! Horton has a serious quality control issue here or what....

Edited by stlamarc, 04 August 2012 - 01:54 PM.

• Tim50 likes this

#2 Swift516

Swift516

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Aw man. Hate to hear this. Read through my thread titled Horton fury arrow. Im still dealing with Fury issues. I'm praying that our next attempt will be successful at getting it right... I think their CS is very good, easy to work with and has the necessary stroke to handle problems as they come in. Now, quality control seems to be lacking...!!! Hang in there. They will make it right I would bet...

Edited by Swift516, 03 August 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#3 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationSaint Peters, MO

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

Did you buy from a local dealer? If so I would take it in and have it inspected for sure.

If you purchased from an online dealer I would probably ask for a complete replacement. They should be able to send you a new bow with a pre-paid shipping label to send the other one back. I just wouldn't trust this one. And it's no fun to shoot if you're not confident in the bow. Heck there is a ton of power in those things.

Just my $0.02

#4 Rio

Rio

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

This is why I am lookin at the vision as opposed to the newer reverse hortons

#5 stlamarc

stlamarc

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

Did you buy from a local dealer? If so I would take it in and have it inspected for sure.

If you purchased from an online dealer I would probably ask for a complete replacement. They should be able to send you a new bow with a pre-paid shipping label to send the other one back. I just wouldn't trust this one. And it's no fun to shoot if you're not confident in the bow. Heck there is a ton of power in those things.

Just my $0.02

Totally with you on this. I'm kinda scared of it now, but I'm afraid that if I send it to Horton I won't have it back in time for hunting season. I got a trip planned for Canada. I made the purchase online since it seemed like a nice deal, but I'm starting to regret doing it now. We'll see what happens.

I've had this bow for 2 weeks now and most of this time was spend waiting for parts in the mail.

#6 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Return it and get something else! Your concerns are real and if you dont act fast you may not be in the woods when season opens.

#7 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationSaint Peters, MO

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Totally with you on this. I'm kinda scared of it now, but I'm afraid that if I send it to Horton I won't have it back in time for hunting season. I got a trip planned for Canada. I made the purchase online since it seemed like a nice deal, but I'm starting to regret doing it now. We'll see what happens.

I've had this bow for 2 weeks now and most of this time was spend waiting for parts in the mail.

I didn't really mean send it to Horton. I guess I was assuming you purchased from an online dealer. If so I would contact the online dealer and ask for a replacement. Let the dealer worry about sending it back to Horton.

#8 gendoc

gendoc

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Locationlowest bama

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

I didn't really mean send it to Horton. I guess I was assuming you purchased from an online dealer. If so I would contact the online dealer and ask for a replacement. Let the dealer worry about sending it back to Horton.

i purchased mine from a very big online outfitter, and they told me to contact horton CS on the issue.

#9 HORNS-A-PLENTY

HORNS-A-PLENTY

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

....gee....what a bummer.......in the future always go with David @ Wyvern Creations......he will correct any issue......he won't leave his customers hanging.

HortonWildman

#10 gendoc

gendoc

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Locationlowest bama

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

....gee....what a bummer.......in the future always go with David @ Wyvern Creations......he will correct any issue......he won't leave his customers hanging.

HortonWildman

yep yur right......
you can see in my signature line, that i've delt with wyvern and danny miller several times.
2 of the best outfitters... but at the time, $90 difference isa show stopper.
but now i can see why the price was different. wish i would have purchased from either of them.
i had faith in horton's product because my son's vision isa mighty fine bow !!!
hopefully all will be corrected for mr. swift and i................ <_<

#11 sz380

sz380

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

I loved mine but it kept brakeing the cable slide

#12 stlamarc

stlamarc

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

SZ380 - Did you have a TRT UL Express too??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TRT, Ultralite, Horton, Parts missing