View New Content Mark all as read |  

Can You Really Shoot Through Mesh Windows

• Please log in to reply

#1 yankeeredfisher

yankeeredfisher

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I have a two man doghouse blind with windows on all four sides. They are camoed mesh which can be opened if desired. The manufacture, as well as several other brand names, claim that this is shoot thru mesh. They even sell mesh repair kits.
Does anyone have experience shooting through these mesh windows. Have you noticed any impact on accuracy/speed? I guess I could run a test but thought that there are some members who have tried shooting through these windows.
Of course I'm talking about shooting through them with broadheads, not field points.

#2 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

I've shot every archery deer in the past 6 years through blind mesh without a single problem. I used Rocket Hammerhead expandables out of my vertical bows and Ramcats out of my crossbow.

The windows need to be stretched tight with no wrinkles. This is easy to do in a good blind but harder in some budget blinds.

Definitely practice out of your own blind with your setup first. Since you should only have about 1/3 of the blind open at a time to avoid silhouetting yourself, you don't need a window repair kit. Just shoot through a window in the back of your blind.

Besides, even with a few broadhead holes, the mesh windows do the same job as far as deer are concerned.

#3 MLN1963

MLN1963

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSW OK

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

My son and I use ground blinds and shoot thru the screen. Keeping it tight as mentioned above is a good idea. I don't think it has to be "bounce a quarter off it tight" but at least not sloppy loose. You aren't supposed to be able to shoot mechanical broadheads thru without opening them up. That depends on the BH. I have successfully shot Shwackers thru the screen. Another I have that is supposed to work that I haven't personally tried yet is the MeetSeekers. A lot of forward opening expandables like Grim Reapers and such I wouldn't try. I have asked a lot of companies about this and they say don't do it.

I think I may try something different this year on one blind. I'm going to paint my screens black. That way the deer are used to the dark areas of the blind. Hopefully they won't notice the difference between the screen up or with it down. But that screen staying up does help with the wind we always have around here so I will have to see if it is worth it or not?

I find that doghouse blinds don't work for me with a vertical bow, but are fine with a gun and I suspect a Xbow. If you shoot both types of bow I would get a taller blind if you need to buy more so you aren't limited. Besides, it is nice to be able to stand up and stretch on occasion.

#4 Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationMontgromery county,Pa

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Some of my buddies have...but i'm always alittle leary and will just put the net down....just a funny feeling ,i get..Thunderbolt

#5 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have shot a ton of different style rear-swinging mechanicals through several brands of blinds to test them, and I have never ever had a problem. I think this is more something that people assume will be a problem instead of just trying it out and seeing it isn't.

#6 sz380

sz380

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I always wonderd this my self

#7 MLN1963

MLN1963

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSW OK

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have shot a ton of different style rear-swinging mechanicals through several brands of blinds to test them, and I have never ever had a problem.

Can you list these broadheads for me? I'm always looking for new BHs to try or have a list of some to use in if I need to buy some last second.

Thanks
MLN1963

#8 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Can you list these broadheads for me? I'm always looking for new BHs to try or have a list of some to use in if I need to buy some last second.

Thanks
MLN1963

Too many over the years to remember all the names. The point is that none, not a single one, had any problems with blind mesh. Every one of them blew right through, even out of my "slow" Mathews Switchback.

So, if there is a mechanical you want to shoot out of a quality blind, it will probably work just fine.

#9 stlamarc

stlamarc

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationSouth-East Tennessee

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:50 AM

I know they've tested Rage broadheads for this and it's supposed to work fine.

Edited by stlamarc, 07 August 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#10 MLN1963

MLN1963

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSW OK

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Too many over the years to remember all the names. The point is that none, not a single one, had any problems with blind mesh. Every one of them blew right through, even out of my "slow" Mathews Switchback.

So, if there is a mechanical you want to shoot out of a quality blind, it will probably work just fine.

How did you go about testing them? What was your testing criteria?

#11 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

How did you go about testing them? What was your testing criteria?

I sighted them in without shooting through mesh, then shot them through mesh to see if the POI changed. My blind killzones are all set up to be within 20 yards, so that is the yardage I tested. However, if a blade were deployed in flight, POI would still be way off at 20 yards.

Oh, and about a dozen deer were also used in testing mechanicals through blind mesh. :) Every arrow impacted where I thought it would.

If you have any mechanical broadhead at all and a blind, just take one screwed onto an arrow and push it through the mesh by hand. You'll see that there is very little resistance once the tip starts the initial hole.

#12 exomag

exomag

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationS/W Ontario

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

That's good info. I was always leary of shooting through the mesh.