View New Content Mark all as read |  

Best arrows and broadheads for the Ventilator 150?

• Please log in to reply

#1 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

I bought one of the early RDT 125's and love it. After reading all of the hype and commentary on the Vent 150, my resistance weakened and I talked to Rex and ordered one.

I have read a lot of the commentary on arrows and broadheads but that was before I had a new bow on the way.

Is there any new consensus on a great combination of arrow and broadhead shot out of the Vent-150

I bought 3 Aerobolt II's from Dorge at the lansing MI show last winter and I now realize that they are 26". Should I try to exchange them for 22"ers. How much speed difference is there likely to be between 22" and 26" arrows and will the 26"ers be more accurate enough to outweigh the speed difference.

I don't have the time or money to test a bunch of broadheads so anyone that has come up with a great one for the aerobolt II please let me know.

I am also going to be trying out a Red Hot pinpoint scope.
  • jgss2 likes this

#2 bowmanxx

bowmanxx

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

I tested alot of mechanicals and ramcats with the aerobolt II, 22 inch. 410 gr. total weight. The absolute best was the rocket slammerhead. Just shot them again today. 60 thru 90 yards, all in the 12 ring! I don't even shoot under 60 yards with the vent anymore, too boring. The rockets are the only ones I don't have to resight with. Grim reapers, shwacker and ramcats preform well after resighting at hunting distances.

#3 whistlepig

whistlepig

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Slick Trick Standards fly well and are very accurate from my crossbow. The reviews on them are excellent. I didn't have a lot of time or money to try a lot of broad heads either. Slick Trick Standards were my third try on broad heads. It get's expensive these days on broad heads.
  • jgss2 likes this

#4 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping for some feedback on the difference between aerobolt II's at 22" vs 26" also. I wanted to try the Ramcats, but maybe I will start with the Rockets. It would be nice to find something that flies about the same as the target points.

#5 firenock

firenock

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHenry IL

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

The 26" arrow will always flies better than a 22" due to length. For broadhead, the general rule is that the smaller the head, the better it will fly, the more accurate it will be at longer distance. If you use Aerovane on your archery projectile, the following heads are know to have great results. Ramcat 2011, Ramcat 2012, Slick trick 100,NAP thunder head edge, NAP nightmare, NAP spitfire max, Rocky Mountain Blitz, rage 3 blade.

#6 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks Dorge,

What is the difference in grains between the 22" and 26" aerobolt II, and any idea what the difference in fps out of the Vent 150 with a 100 grain broadhead. I don't have to have the fastest arrow but would like to be confident at 40 yards and maybe stretch it to 50 if I had a chance at a Booner.

#7 bowmanxx

bowmanxx

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

I believe you can go as low as 422 grains on a 26 inch aerobolt complete with a 100 grain tip. Should be no lost in speed. Dorge can custom your weight for you. He made my 22 inch @ 410 total for me.

#8 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping for some feedback on the difference between aerobolt II's at 22" vs 26" also. I wanted to try the Ramcats, but maybe I will start with the Rockets. It would be nice to find something that flies about the same as the target points.

Just know the Rockets are a 1 maybe 2 shot and done mechanical broadhead. But they shoot extremely well if you want to deal with them.
c-t

For you vent guys--Geeksters fixed blade review and what he did to get it done.
sharing my ventilator 150 combo arrow and broadhead setup

Hey folks I have found a good arrow and broadhead combo out of my vent. I had tried aerobolt a few weeks ago with exodus broadheads. The aerobolt was fletch with aerovanes. The results was not good. So I tried the T3's and the practice head shot with fieldpoints. So later I tried the T3 with the hunting blades and xbow retention clip. Blades preopened and lost aerobolt. Yes I was upset over losing the aerobolt. So I went back to the drawing board. I knew the laser3 with 2inch quickspins and exodushead shoots great out of my 380. So I tried them. They shot 2inches low and 3 inches right at 60yds from fieldpoints. Still not satisfied and by the results of the test with the fixed heads shooting right of fieldpoints. I felt I needed more spine to get the vent to shoot broadheads and fieldoints together. So I went back to my aerobolts and removed the aerovanes and fletched 2inch quickspins. I then tested 3 fixed blade heads at 60yds. G5 striker,ramcat and exodus head. The exodus group tight at 60 and was on the money with fieldpoints. The vane change on the aerobolt to the quickspin put the exodus heads with the fieldpoints at 60yds. Just give a little info on my aerobolts they are 20 inches in length and weigh 274 grains bare with Dorges hybrid alumnium insert and inner carbon shaft. The finshed arrows with 2inch quickspins,qnock and 100gr point weighs 408grs. I was really pleased with the accuracy I was getting at 60 with this combo. I thought I have got to see what it will do at 80yds. Here is my shot at 80yds with exodus broadhead. Hope this info might help somebody out. First pic is 3d deer at 80yds. the last pic shows the penatration of arrow. The target is new it is not shot out I was impressed with the penatration.

#9 Fieldtip

Fieldtip

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • LocationS.E. Michigan

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hey folks I have found a good arrow and broadhead combo out of my vent. I had tried aerobolt a few weeks ago with exodus broadheads. The aerobolt was fletch with aerovanes. The results was not good. So I tried the T3's and the practice head shot with fieldpoints. So later I tried the T3 with the hunting blades and xbow retention clip. Blades preopened and lost aerobolt. Yes I was upset over losing the aerobolt. So I went back to the drawing board. I knew the laser3 with 2inch quickspins and exodushead shoots great out of my 380. So I tried them. They shot 2inches low and 3 inches right at 60yds from fieldpoints. Still not satisfied and by the results of the test with the fixed heads shooting right of fieldpoints. I felt I needed more spine to get the vent to shoot broadheads and fieldoints together. So I went back to my aerobolts and removed the aerovanes and fletched 2inch quickspins. I then tested 3 fixed blade heads at 60yds. G5 striker,ramcat and exodus head. The exodus group tight at 60 and was on the money with fieldpoints. The vane change on the aerobolt to the quickspin put the exodus heads with the fieldpoints at 60yds. Just give a little info on my aerobolts they are 20 inches in length and weigh 274 grains bare with Dorges hybrid alumnium insert and inner carbon shaft. The finshed arrows with 2inch quickspins,qnock and 100gr point weighs 408grs. I was really pleased with the accuracy I was getting at 60 with this combo. I thought I have got to see what it will do at 80yds. Here is my shot at 80yds with exodus broadhead. Hope this info might help somebody out. First pic is 3d deer at 80yds. the last pic shows the penatration of arrow. The target is new it is not shot out I was impressed with the penatration.

I do not see your Pictures, they must not of attached.

#10 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

The arrows are where they should be. I didn't post the pictures because a few guys couldn't see them on another post because they weren't a member of the site they came from. I wanted to offer up what is working from a guy that spends a bunch of time experimenting and, it was the first post I found about shooting fixed blades accurately from a vent and, I thought you guys would like to read about it.

Edited by crappie-tom, 29 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#11 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info post CT. It's amazing to me just how many variables there are in the search for the ultimate flier. I was hoping someone had a magic bullet figured out for the arrows I have. But getting it all figured out is half the fun.

#12 firenock

firenock

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHenry IL

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:47 PM

I believe that the best arrow for a Ventilator is no shorter than 22", unless you want to really work at it to get it tuned. Shorter arrows are less forgiving. So far, the weight of the arrow should be about 435 grains to get the ventilator to shot as efficiently as possible. Lesser weight will introduce noise and inefficiency of power stroke. One do gain speed due to less weight of an arrow. That is why I offer Aerobolt II 22" at 305 grains for shaft and vane, add the point and a Firenock you are right at 435. Jim had tested a lot of configuration and this seems to work best without much work. For those who like to play, adding different vane, shaft stiffness, will result in significant difference from bow to bow.

For more powerful bows like the RDT165, a 325 grain shaft and vane at least 22" is what I would use.

A simple rule, a longer and heavier arrow (in spine and weight) will generally result in a easier to tune bow. When you start cutting the arrow short and lighten the weight, extensive tuning and testing is what you are looking to do to get that speed with accuracy.

Edited by firenock, 29 August 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#13 Geekster

Geekster

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationDobson,N.C.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hi I am the guy CT mentioned about fixed heads and arrows out of the Vent 150. The aerobolt2 and accuspine shoot really great out of my vent 150. The aerobolt2 has shot very Accurate for me out to 80 yds. I posted a pic a coupe weeks ago on AT where I had two aerobolt2's stacked on top of each other at 80yds. The top arrow busted the bottom arrow nock. Also I posted a pic of 3d deer I shot at 80yds. I held for the center of the heart and that is where the aerobolt2 and exodus head landed. The aerobolt2 is my first choice out of the vent 150 with the accuspine a very close second. These are the only two arrows that have gave me the accuracy I want out of the vent 150 with fixed blade heads. The thing about aerobolt2. Dorge can make such variations of the aerobolt2 to get the spine combination for a given crossbow.

#14 Geekster

Geekster

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationDobson,N.C.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Never mind the face shooting his self in the head. That is suppose to be eighty yds in there.LOL

#15 the dog

the dog

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

I have been swamped here at work this month, no time to fiddle with arrows and fletching, I called rex and asked him what would be a good hunting combo, he told me lazer 3's with ramcats would work fine, so I bought a dozen off him and will say they shoot nice. a little more critical to scope settings. the 2219's I was shooting had 4" fletching, all shot in line out to 40 yards. the lazer 3's all shot low right. so with a little scope adjustment I sighted in at 1" high at 20 yards and the drift went low right at 30 and 40 but a lot less. small clicks of the scope finally brought the arrows dead on at 30 and 40, so there is no corkscrewing or bad arrows in the dozen. all seem to shoot the same.

weight of the lazer 3's with 2" fletching, 100 grain heads at 22" long is 435 gr.

same drop as the 2219's at 40 yards, did not notice or measure a difference in the two. 2219's are 20", 4" vanes

over the weekend I hope to find the time to shoot some of the ramcats and see how they shoot.

#16 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hi I am the guy CT mentioned about fixed heads and arrows out of the Vent 150. The aerobolt2 and accuspine shoot really great out of my vent 150. The aerobolt2 has shot very Accurate for me out to 80 yds. I posted a pic a coupe weeks ago on AT where I had two aerobolt2's stacked on top of each other at 80yds. The top arrow busted the bottom arrow nock. Also I posted a pic of 3d deer I shot at 80yds. I held for the center of the heart and that is where the aerobolt2 and exodus head landed. The aerobolt2 is my first choice out of the vent 150 with the accuspine a very close second. These are the only two arrows that have gave me the accuracy I want out of the vent 150 with fixed blade heads. The thing about aerobolt2. Dorge can make such variations of the aerobolt2 to get the spine combination for a given crossbow.

Hi Geekster. I really thought you forgot. Too much good stuff in your writing to not put out there. Keep up the good experiments.
c-t
  • Geekster likes this

#17 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I believe that the best arrow for a Ventilator is no shorter than 22", unless you want to really work at it to get it tuned. Shorter arrows are less forgiving. So far, the weight of the arrow should be about 435 grains to get the ventilator to shot as efficiently as possible. Lesser weight will introduce noise and inefficiency of power stroke. One do gain speed due to less weight of an arrow. That is why I offer Aerobolt II 22" at 305 grains for shaft and vane, add the point and a Firenock you are right at 435. Jim had tested a lot of configuration and this seems to work best without much work. For those who like to play, adding different vane, shaft stiffness, will result in significant difference from bow to bow.

For more powerful bows like the RDT165, a 325 grain shaft and vane at least 22" is what I would use.

A simple rule, a longer and heavier arrow (in spine and weight) will generally result in a easier to tune bow. When you start cutting the arrow short and lighten the weight, extensive tuning and testing is what you are looking to do to get that speed with accuracy.

At this point since I have 26" abII's I'm trying to figure out how much speed I would lose vs 22" abII's, and if increased accuracy would override the speed loss.

Geekster thanks for the long range info that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I will look into the Exodus heads.

#18 Geekster

Geekster

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationDobson,N.C.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Since we are talking accuracy with arrow and vent setup. Have any of you converted a Parker sidewinder crank to work on the vent. I called scorpyd and ordered a cocking sled to use with the crank. I get good accuracy with the vent at long yardage with the short sled cocker. I want to compare groups at 80yds with the modified crank cocker versus the short sled cocker. Has anybody on here tried this if so tell us your results.

#19 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

I thought about trying the parker sidewinder on my RDT125 but just stayed with the rope cocker. Now I am wondering if it might be useful for my soon to arrive Ventilator. I am not tall and have shoulder issues so hence the interest also.

#20 Driver

Driver

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Hi , I thought id chime in on this I have the vent 150 . When I first ordered it I went with the short rope cocker . I also am short ,only 5' 4, 60 yrs old and bad shoulders, the first time I tryed cocking it I thought I made a major mistake I could barely move it. However I soon learned there is a definate tecnique to cocking it . Now its very easy, for me I absolutely have to have the folding stock , also if your thinking of getting the long rope cocker which does make it a much easier pull, if your short like me you probably won't be able cock it , i've adjusted mine to the point I have to pull with my hands on the rope to get the rope over the scope and into the rope groove, and I still can't get it cocked . I will probobly make it into another short rope cocker. Back to the tecnique get bow centered in stance , bend over with knees bent , you will be cocking mainlt with your leggs and back . Hope this helps , after 10 or so cocking sequences you will get very comfortable with it . By the way I love this bow , every thing you've read about it is true.