how well do Parker String Suppressors work

• Please log in to reply

#1 crazycharger

crazycharger

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Michigan

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I just Purchased a Parker ThunderHawk (Tomahawk) and im looking to start quieting it down a little bit. first off on my list is Parker string suppressors. just wondering how much those help with the noise. I am not expecting the impossible but im looking to at least get it a bit better than it is.

#2 Wilhelm Tell

Wilhelm Tell

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

I installed mine last week and noticed that the "Tone" of the string is deeper / lower which does make some difference. The biggest difference that I noticed is the reduced vibration of the crossbow as a whole which is also a plus.
During my compound bow days...it seemed that string sliencers did more but we have to understand that the string on a compound bow moves around 29 inches and the travel on a crossbow may only be 10 to 12 inches but with a lot more force.

With that being said.... it does help the sound "some" but to be honest....it's about the difference between a high pitched "ting" vs a lower pitch 'thud". But all in all it does help and the reduced vibration is a plus.... and it feels as if they added a bit of extra kickback as well. But remember that they need to be set up right. I seen someone post a negative feedback on them but the picture they provided showed the suppressors about 1/2 inch away from the string...which isn't a correct setup.

They don't add that much weight so....... it's kind of your call. Can we actually quiet the crossbow down enough to take a second shot IF we didn't scare off the intended traget after the first shot???? ... And how fast can we actually reload and not get caught doing so. ( But again I feel as if they have reduce some of the vibration and that may help save wear on the string, limbs and some of the screws coming / vibrating loose... you get the idea.)

Just my 2 cents..... I'd like to hear from others.

Edited by Wilhelm Tell, 18 September 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#3 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

I installed them on my Tornado. Easy to install...worth the money. they change the 'twang' to a 'thud'.....by taking the vibration out, it makes it a lot more comfortable to shoot. As far as noise reduction....it was not noticeable to me.....and no deer have lived through the experience long enough to clarify it for me

#4 crazycharger

crazycharger

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

okay i think i might have to give these a try. just gonna do what i can to get it better for hunting

#5 Para069

Para069

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I test fired both a Gale Force and a Tornado F4 w/ the suspressors and at least six other xbows without any type of device and was very impressed. They do a very good job on both noise and vibration. Was the main reason I ordered a Horent Extreme vs a Thunderhawk , the horent came with them already installed.

#6 Old Hoosier

Old Hoosier

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationJASPER COUNTY, INDIANA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I installed mine last week and noticed that the "Tone" of the string is deeper / lower which does make some difference. The biggest difference that I noticed is the reduced vibration of the crossbow as a whole which is also a plus.
During my compound bow days...it seemed that string sliencers did more but we have to understand that the string on a compound bow moves around 29 inches and the travel on a crossbow may only be 10 to 12 inches but with a lot more force.

With that being said.... it does help the sound "some" but to be honest....it's about the difference between a high pitched "ting" vs a lower pitch 'thud". But all in all it does help and the reduced vibration is a plus.... and it feels as if they added a bit of extra kickback as well. But remember that they need to be set up right. I seen someone post a negative feedback on them but the picture they provided showed the suppressors about 1/2 inch away from the string...which isn't a correct setup.

They don't add that much weight so....... it's kind of your call. Can we actually quiet the crossbow down enough to take a second shot IF we didn't scare off the intended traget after the first shot???? ... And how fast can we actually reload and not get caught doing so. ( But again I feel as if they have reduce some of the vibration and that may help save wear on the string, limbs and some of the screws coming / vibrating loose... you get the idea.)

Just my 2 cents..... I'd like to hear from others.

X2. I agree.

Edited by Old Hoosier, 21 September 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#7 cattrapper

cattrapper

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Locationoklahoma

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

worth every penny

#8 graveyard zombie

graveyard zombie

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

I also was wondering if they were worth the money for a Thunder Hawk. It seems more and more crossbows and compound bows are putting them on so I was trying to decide if they actually work or if they were just a fad that we sometimes get caught up in. I just got a Thunder Hawk, crossbow only, so I haven't shot it yet. I've got to get some scope mounts since the scope I bought doesn't include them and the T.H. has an elongated scope rail so I need mounts that are either medium or high so the scope will sit off the rail some. I plan on going to B.P. tomorrow, Tuesday, to get the mounts and I know they sell the suppressors so I'm trying to decide on getting a pair. My whole idea of the T.H. was the light weight and as a bare bow it sure balances better than most. But I don't think the suppressors would weigh enough to tilt the front end noticiably either.

#9 Wilhelm Tell

Wilhelm Tell

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

They don't weigh that much and they do make a few differences. Double check BP....as they were out of them a few weeks back but they may have got another shipment in. I got my Tomahawk / Thunderhawk as a complete kit so I can't help you on the correct scope mounts rings. I'm sure you will enjoy it once you have it all set up the way you like it.

#10 kyxbow57

kyxbow57

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

I have two Hornet's,one with and one without the string suppressors. When both are shot side-by-side I can tell a slight reduction in the noise but a noticable difference in the type of noise.As mentioned above it is change from a "whack" to a "thump". It makes the bow more enjoyable to shoot but whether or not it makes enough difference to affect a hunting situation , hard to say.

#11 crazycharger

crazycharger

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

does anyone know a good place to get them for a decent price?

#12 Downeaster

Downeaster

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • LocationMountains of Western Maine

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

I haven't installed them yet, but it didn't make much difference to the buck I tagged on the 2nd day of the
archery season in Maine. The arrow went through his lungs before he even had a clue.

#13 crazycharger

crazycharger

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

down easter do you have anything on your xbow for noise reduction?

#14 X-bowBucksCo

X-bowBucksCo

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationYardley, Bucks County Pennsylvania

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

will the
Parker Crossbow String Suppressor Kit work on my Terminator 175?

thanks
Lou

#15 RICKD

RICKD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

will the
Parker Crossbow String Suppressor Kit work on my Terminator 175?

thanks
Lou

Copy and paste from Parkers website. Crossbow String Suppressor Kit.

• Dramatically reduce the sound and vibration of the crossbow string.

• Easily installs in minutes with basic tools.

• Tunable for precision performance.

• Only designed to fit Parker crossbow models indicated.

All hardware included to install.

Will ONLY fit 2009 & 2010 Cyclone's, Hurricane's, and Tornado's.
Specifications
Parker String Suppressor Kits include:

* 2 Custom riser mounts
* 2 Hex screws
* 2 Washers
* 2 Rods
* 2 Ultra Soft string bumpers #38-233
For 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cyclone and Tornado models
#38-234
For BushWacker and Enforcer models
#38-235
For Hornet Extreme
#38-2351
For Tomahawk & Challenger

#16 crazycharger

crazycharger

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

just got $50 in cabelas gift cards and was going to order the suppessors for my tomahawk/thunderhawk but i see they do not list them on their website. i know the other thing i want to get for my crossbow is the Parker RedHot arrows but the price for those through cabelas seems high at $69.99 for 6.

They are building a new cabelas store about 15 mins from my home but it wont be open until mid March but i dont know if i want to wait that long to get new stuff for the crossbow

#17 bukhuntr

bukhuntr

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Locationwrightsville,pa

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

best price i found for the suppressors is www. eders.com

#18 crazycharger

crazycharger

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

eders has a great price but the cost of shipping puts them well over what i can get them from other places