Vanilla

• Please log in to reply

#1 whackadeer

whackadeer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, In

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:40 PM

I know some of you use vanilla as an attractant. Some questions, can I use the imitation or only use the real stuff? Do you water it down in a spray bottle? And do you just spray it on plants or use it some other way? Thanks, Tim
  • Stoney0264 likes this

#2 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I am interested to hear thoughts on this. I used vanilla for a few years when I was a young hunter. I always made sure the bottle said "pure" vanilla extract. I would dilute with water in a spray bottle and use it more as a cover scent than an attractant. Which means I would spray it on myself and on the tree limbs around me.

I can't really remember why I stopped using it.

#3 StriperT

StriperT

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Whackadeer, Check out this tread..
http://www.crossbown...-secret-weapon/

#4 whackadeer

whackadeer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, In

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

StriperT, I may be missing it in that post, but I don't see if I can use the imitation vanilla or if there is a mixture ratio of water to vanilla. But thanks for responding.

#5 StriperT

StriperT

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

I've been using the imitation vanilla for the past 3 years.. I just found 12oz bottles for $1 at our dollar store. I bought 20 bottles.
I do not mix it with water. Just strait out of a spray bottle. I spray it on my corn and then spread powdered sugar over the corn and kinda mix it in a little.
It gets a real nice sweet smell that the deer in the area i hunt are use to now. Kinda smells like C,mere deer.
Its works for me and i swear by it.

#6 Stalker

Stalker

• Members
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationLAWRENCEVILLE GA

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

I use the real stuff.1 part vanilla 5 parts deionized water in a spray bottle.I spray it on plants around me.I do use it on myself when it is cooler outside.It attracts bugs in the warmer months.

#7 FlDeerman

FlDeerman

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Way back in the old days that was the first cover scent we used,I forget what it was called.I've used vanilla in my dripper,it seemed to work.

#8 whackadeer

whackadeer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, In

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

Thanks to all who responded