Vortex bow vs. Ibex vs. Phoenix package

vortex ibex value cost

• Please log in to reply

#1 Mtburr

Mtburr

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

I'm fairly new to the 'Nation but really appreciate all the valuable and respectful discussion in these forums.

I have been using an old, borrowed Horton Thunderbolt (150 lb compound with iron sights), and I've just put together enough cash to buy my first xbow. I'm planning to hit Cabela's tomorrow to test out several bows. But in advance of that, I've already narrowed my interest to several options, two of which are Excaliburs. In fact I'm fairly sure I'll get an Excal, but I face a novice's dilemma: Package vs. Bow Only.

I already own some Thunderhead 125 gr broadheads and a couple of Carbon Express 20" arrows, plus a cocking string, wax, and rail lube. In other words, I'm all set to immediately start using a bare bow, such as the 200-lb Vortex. But I know that eventually I'll want a scope, a quiver, and more arrows, which are packaged with the 175-lb Ibex. I can't afford the Vortex Lite Stuff package, so I'd be getting just the bow with the standard fiber optic sight. At Black Bear, the basic Vortex is $15 more than the Ibex package -- if you count the $35 cost of adding dissipator bars to the Ibex, which I would do immediately. (I'm also sort of considering the 175-lb Phoenix which has an aluminum frame and does NOT have the thumbhole stock. But to keep the question simpler I'll stick to comparing the Vortex bow and the Ibex package)

So, the main difference in these bows, as far as I can tell, are that the Ibex has a composite mainframe (rail) while the Vortex has aluminum, and the Vortex has a 25-lb greater draw weight.

Bottom line: Is the additional power of the Vortex and the aluminum mainframe worth the extra money vs. the Ibex? I like the idea of starting with a better platform, and adding accessories over time. But do I need a 200-lb draw weight? I have a shoulder problem so I like the idea of a lighter pull (always using a string cocking device), and I've read that 200-lbs+ is kind of overkill for taking down a whitetail at <=40 yards. Hunters kill plenty of deer with 150-lb crossbows, so I know 175 will be enough for my purposes. But would 200-lb provide greater accuracy or confidence in getting a clean kill?

As for the composite rail, it gets good reviews so far, and Excal says it's equally sturdy. But will have the same longevity as aluminum? What is the practical benefit of aluminum vs. composite, if cost weren't a factor?

I know it's easy to spend other people's money, but what would you do if you were me? If you tested both bows and basically liked them equally, how would you weigh the value of the Vortex's power and aluminum rail against the accessories packaged with the Ibex?
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mtburr, 07 October 2012 - 11:44 AM.

#2 robertyb

robertyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

I recently shot a large doe at 23 yards from a treestand using a Excal Vortex. The arrow zipped through her on a double lung shot and buried up past the middle of the fletchings in the ground. I sort of doubt that the 175 lb. bow would do much less. There are a lot of Vixen owners that kill deer every year with their 150 lb. bows also.

If you can, shoot both bows and see which fits you the best. There are a lot of good reports on the Excal site from satisfied Ibex owners shooting the new composite rails. It also is a package deal at a grea price.

Good luck with whichever bow you choose and welcome to the Nation.

#3 lastinline

lastinline

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

get the Axiom. then youll have everything you need. i have a few Excaliburs but the Axiom is my main hunting bow cause its light and scope is already calibrated for the xbow. dont shy away from the synthetic rail or its slower speed. down the road you could get a fast flight flemish string or even the aftermarket faster limbs from lightfoot. then it will be fast and lightweight.

Edited by lastinline, 07 October 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#4 reticle4

reticle4

• Members
  • 1,053 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

If you've got a bad shoulder why burden yourself any more than necessary. Target practice or hunting in the field, you'll be reminded of that additional pull weight everytime you cock the bow. The Ibex has more than enough umph to do the job, accuracy between the two should be about the same.

#5 Gabowman

Gabowman

• Members
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I'd have to cock the different weight bows to make up my mind if I had a bum shoulder. I cannot speak on any of them except the Vortex (which I think is amazingly awesome:)) but knowing the quality in my xbow I'd bet they are all made with excellent quality throughout the Excalibur line. ou know that it doesnt matter from whom you buy the Excal from it still has a great warranty. I bought my Vortex lite package off Ebay for $620 (included shipping) a few weeks ago. All I'm saying is do some checking around before dropping the dime with Cabelas. It might save you some bucks.

#6 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

If'en you like a T-hole stock go fer the Ibex pkg. & 40 yds is about what it will handle. I shot a button about 2 weeks back wid an older E;cet 165 & the SlickTrick mag was jus under hide on off shoulder after going thru its leg 18 yd shot. I shot a nice Doe back on Tues. 26 yds wid Razortrick pass-through wid Miss Vixen. Nutten wrong wid usin 150-175 lb models

#7 Tunanut

Tunanut

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

I'm relatively new to xbow's. Bought an Ibex and put a SB-30 on it just to see if I'd like xbow hunting. Chrono'd my arrows @ 288, then dialed in the "2" on the 290 setting. Sighted in at 20 yrds and the scope did the rest. The bow shot the 30, 40, and 50 yrds exactly where the reticle said it would. Shooting 150 Xtricks and have put four on the ground already this year. Shots were out to forty yards and all but the quartering away shot were a complete pass threws. The only downside is that it has already blown out the serving at the limbs and I need to get a new one, probably around 100 shots threw it. Ibex is plenty to these little NC deer.

#8 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,259 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'd get the Vortex, great bow and good compromise between power (speed, trajectory) and weight, cocking effort. It's my go-to bow of the three I own.

#9 Mtburr

Mtburr

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the insights. At Cabela's I shouldered several bows, took my time, and the Vortex felt much better than the Phoenix. They had no Ibex or Axiom but I expect they'd feel about the same. Considering my needs I decided to get the Ibex. Ordered from Black Bear. Can't wait! Thanks again.

#10 Gabowman

Gabowman

• Members
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Well, congrats to the Excalibur world! I know youre gonna LOVE your new xbow.:)

#11 Mtburr

Mtburr

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:13 AM

According to UPS, as of 6:57 this morning, my package is out for delivery today. So now every single rumble on the road sounds like a UPS truck. And I fear for going into town to deliver some roadkill venison to the local zoo (long story), in case the driver shows up and won't leave the package on my stoop. My guess is I'll wait all day and he'll roll in just before sunset. Argh!

#12 Mtburr

Mtburr

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:39 AM

My Ibex SMF package arrived at 11:35 a.m. Yay!
I for one have been curious to see exactly what's in the box and how it's packaged. So I'll probably take some pics and post here for others who are interested.

#13 Mc Lurcher

Mc Lurcher

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

My Ibex SMF package arrived at 11:35 a.m. Yay!
I for one have been curious to see exactly what's in the box and how it's packaged. So I'll probably take some pics and post here for others who are interested.

What's the verdict on your Ibex Mtburr? I've seen the package at a very nice price (for the UK) and I'm swithering (Scottish word - means "making a choice") between the Ibex, the Vixen II or the Phoenix. I'm just concerned re the longevity of composite materials v's machined aluminium.

p.s. Sorry for the hijack ;)

#14 Mtburr

Mtburr

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'm happy I got the Ibex. I have no worries about longevity. This thing is a simple design and the composite seems very dense and tough. Also the money I saved came in handy for broadheads and a Bow Buddy sling.

(BTW I have Scot blood in my veins ... "Burr" is my surname.)

Edited by Mtburr, 01 November 2012 - 10:34 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vortex, ibex, value, cost