View New Content Mark all as read |  

WHAT IS THE BEST CROSSBOW

• Please log in to reply

#1 chez

chez

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

I am in the market for a new crossbow...what is the general opinion on the best bow or bows on the market today?

#2 whistlepig

whistlepig

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

So many options. Do want speed, accuracy, dependabilty, price, or best customer support? I could plug a brand here. But not one that will do all these things very well. Just a brand that will do some.

#3 jdp1207

jdp1207

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

We all have our brand and most of us would'nt change ---- we will all push what we shoot ---- my advice is to read and research every make and model that strikes your interest so you know every detail about each one.....
And then go get an Excalibur
ROFLMFAO

#4 rbylo1

rbylo1

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationHarrison, Michigan

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

jdp 1207 - I agree with everything you said except the last word *lol* - I went with Kodabow - almost bought the Excal 20 minutes before, but found the adjustable stock and look of the Kodabow more to my liking. In any event, we seem to agree that a recurve crossbow is the way to go!

#5 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,207 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

We all have our favorite for various resons. I go with the theory of what fits ME best! What feels BEST in MY hands! Don't buy a bow on what soneone else likes. I like the recurve platform so the Excal IMO is the best bow out there! The fellow above likes te Kodabow! As you can see it is FAR from an exact science.Go out with an open mind & shoot everything you can get your hands on! The bows will sort themselves out! Shoot everything THEN shoot them again so you can make an educated decision on what is best for YOU! Good luck & enjoy the quest! THEN BUY AN EXCAL!!! :lol: :lol:

Edited by Tim50, 09 October 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#6 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,207 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

I am in the market for a new crossbow...what is the general opinion on the best bow or bows on the market today?

Forgot to add "Welcome to the Nation"!

#7 Lscha

Lscha

Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 2,489 posts
  • LocationMichigan's Thumb

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hi Chez! Not much I can add here.

IF you take the advice of shooting many brands and find the one that fits your shoulder, feels balanced, meets your accuracy expectations, appeals to your sense of simplicity or complexity and has a good service reputation, you will think that the one you chose is the best and you will try to influence other people to follow your lead. It is 'Crossbow Acquisition Syndrome'. This forum is one of the support groups for it. If you can afford it, you will end up with more than one brand. That being said, crossbows have come a long way and most companies are putting out quality products and have great service. And anyway, I can't tout one over the other because so many of them are our sponsors. :cool: Good luck and let us know what you get.
  • GQ- likes this

#8 Terry Williams

Terry Williams

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Laura gives good advice.....

#9 Redhotscott

Redhotscott

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMorrisville pa.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:37 PM

Welcome chez great site.i shoot a Barnett ghost 350 and love it no problems.i guess it is personnel preference.alot of good bows out there.once again welcome.

#10 Safetys off

Safetys off

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

This is my first post and I have a tenpoint for my first bow I like it and no real problems with it but if some one could tell me the top five brands that would be great. I live in a rule area and I don't have alot of options to try out my self.

#11 Twanger

Twanger

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Some more info would be great...
What is your price range? Scoped or unscoped?
Do you want 25 yard performance or 60 yard performance?

Several buddy's own Tenpoints and they are very happy with the price/performance point.

I went with the "money is no object" approach and am exceedingly happy with my PSE Tac15, but not everybody wants to drop $2000 on a crossbow.

#12 schneep

schneep

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Wisconsin

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

Had a new hunter this year for deer, we got together to practice a little, he showed up with a very nice looking 10 PT, after he watched two of us with our Tac 15i's, he called our dealer and picked up his Tac 2 days latter.

#13 Trapper1

Trapper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I have Horton Fury killed few deer with it,fast as hell ,issues string wears out fast so I don't target shoot it very much.My brother manages a bow and gun shop in NJ so I can try out just about any crossbows they carry ,Mission crossbow caught my eye -shoots nice ,smooth and fast ,short but it don't like all the plastic parts on it and safety in a odd place.Ten Point nice just don't fit me well.I did watch a sales rep at my brothers shop demo a Kodabow 185lb model after i bought the Horton, I liked the bow and sales person was spending a lot of time answering everyone's questions.I stopped in Kodabow factory in PA this past week and shot 185 and 200 lb models after spending about hour or so there I did buy Kodabow Zulu 200 lb now waiting for bow to get here,what sold me on Kodabow lack of moving parts,very fast ,fit me good ,shoots great also I seen the crossbow they shot over 1500 shots out of at a trade show wow lack of wear on that crossbow what really sold me .I want a crossbow I can shoot a lot and than take hunting and not worrying about break downs .Just remember don't buy a crossbow till you personally shoot it making sure you it's fits your needs and not what someone tells what they think is best.That the big mistake I did when buying the Horton Fury I listen to someone else but my mistake .

#14 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,347 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Price, scope quality, quality of crossbow for the price, safety features (anti-dry fire, thumb and finger guards especially if young ones will be shooting it). Do your research and learn as much as you can regarding all the crossbow intricacies. Check out the warranty provided with your crossbow & opinions regarding customer care. ;)

CrossbowNation offers a wealth of information through searching (using something like Google and adding in "crossbownation" will aid in searches.

Ask more specific questions as your data base grows. ;)

Posted Image
To CrossbownationPosted Image

Edited by Highlander, 12 December 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#15 schneep

schneep

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Wisconsin

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

The best crossbow you can get is .............................the one you can afford and you get good at shooting it.

#16 Tim Green

Tim Green

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Locationgladwin mi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

I too am in the market for a crossbow, I have reseached and shot a bunch I have narrowed my choices down to two the Horton Havoc or the Barnett Vengance. Both are reverse draw. Both come with a good optic, the only differance that i have seen that I like wit hthe Barnett is the picney rail underneath and it had a foregrip mounted to it that also comes with it. I would like to mount my R7 replay camera to it so i can see my kill shots or just watch what things i did wrong. The horton havoc does not come with a mounting rail underneath but it does have a raised cheek rest that i like so that i can make sure i have a good aimpoint. so what should be a good choice. the havoc retails for 699.99 and wit htaxes it would be about 750.00 the vengance retails for 799.99 so with taxes it 850.00 about a 100.00 more then i wanted to spend but it may be worth it any oppinions.

#17 Trapper1

Trapper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I would asked questions on models you talked about directly to a factory Rep ask them about string life,and shooting Xbow a lot over 500 shots a year ,this is we're you might run into problems with compound type crossbows and than just before the season starts you might end up with your Xbow in the shop and hoping you get it back before the season starts.This happen to me with Horton Fury I was luckier than most as my brother owns a bow shop and they repaired for me in one day.I bought Kodabow last week because lack of things that to go wrong with this type of Xbow.

Joe

#18 Johny D

Johny D

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

CAMX!!!

#19 Trapper1

Trapper1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

That's new one for me I just looked up the reviews

#20 Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • LocationMi

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Scorpyd, they have a number of nice models to check out. All are reverse draw type bows & all are very, very fast for a given draw weight.

I checked out several brands and models prior to making a purchase. I bought the Scorpyd SLP 165, which is the fastest of the Scorpyd models, but also liked a number of features of the Vent 150.

Horton also makes several reverse draw bows & Barnett has one as well. I shot the Hortons, but not the Barnett prior to making my buy, the Hortons are worth a look if cost is a major factor for a reverse draw type.

From the bows I shot prior to buying I found that for any given speed level the reverse draw types are lower draw weight & lower noise as well.

I don't care for the recurve designs due to how wide they are, but they are also the simplest to work on & maintain.

One last thought, maintenance! Speed bows, of whatever design need a bit more of it. With Scorpyd this means changing string & cables more often as they wear out faster on the SLP 165 than on the other Scorpyd models. Some speed bows have other issues as well, but pretty much any model over 380fps are going to wear cables & strings faster. I only own the 165, but from what I read posted by others with different brands/models of speed bows this is something you should consider.

Lots & lots of options and choices on the market, take your time & get what is the "best" for you.