Does anyone use a ghillie suit

• Please log in to reply

#1 Tags

Tags

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

If so, which do you use? I do a lot of ground hunting with my crossbow and been thinking about getting one lately to break up my outline.
  • rampage likes this

#2 creeker

creeker

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Don't know if it help's but I use a leafy wear suit and had deer and turkey come with in 3 yards of me.

#3 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Tags, I made mine from a kit, all synthetic materials, nylon netting, will not mildew, rot, non-allergenic, washable, fire proof, great all around suit... Corky

Attached Images

• Ghillie 1.jpg

• rampage and Joe171 ( DR FRANKENBOW ) like this

#4 Tags

Tags

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Tags, I made mine from a kit, all synthetic materials, nylon netting, will not mildew, rot, non-allergenic, washable, fire proof, great all around suit... Corky

Do you have a link to the kit you used?
  • rampage likes this

#5 stuffer

stuffer

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

i have been hunting with a gille this year i have the pancho &the suite. use the pancho mostly. shot two deer so far this year . i did find this awhole new world of hunting. punch up gille suites on google tons of stuff will come up . corky how are you doingwith it?

#6 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 887 posts
  • LocationCanton-Michigan

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

Do you have a link to the kit you used?

Yes Corky..where did you get the kit?? it looks like corky too busy now in the field ...LOL

#7 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

No, not too busy... just google, Ghillie suits, there's a ton of information, some you can buy premade... made this suit so long ago, can't remember link, but will look further ;-)

Corky

#8 Jack Pine

Jack Pine

Crossbow Nut

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationNorthern MI

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:59 AM

Yah I use one, but the thing I dislike about it is that it snags on everything whether you're sitting or while you're stalking through cover. It literally seems to reach out and grab sticks, leaves, ferns, and grass. The good part though is that all the stuff it grabs adds to the camo effect. If I plan to just sit and ambush, I carry it to where I sit, then take it out of the bag and put it on. The die-cut leafy kinds might not be so snaggy, but to me, they don't look as effective as the stringy kind. I got mine at Gander Mountain for $99 though they can sometimes be had for around $69 off-season if you can find them then. Gander also has a white one for snow that I will probably get for later season.

Jack ><>

#9 tharris811

tharris811

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • LocationHazel Green,Al

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

I use one I got from Gander mt. seems to work ..but it does grab anything you get near
  • Aimo likes this

#10 Todd the archer

Todd the archer

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Pa.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Agree with Jack, best to carry in then put on. I have used mine to do some still hunting and found it awkward.
I have had good results with it but then there are times when no camo seems to work as well?

Todd

#11 Joe171 ( DR FRANKENBOW )

Joe171 ( DR FRANKENBOW )

• Members
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationHamilton Ontario Canada

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Cant see Corky but sure can see his new toy lol

#12 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

LOL, Joe, I'm in there, I assure you!... BUT that red thumb saver of the CHAOS 325 sure sparkles like Christmas time....

TAG... I think this is the place I got my Ghillie suit kit from.... google www.ghilliesuitsonline.com/ hope it gets you there...

Corky
  • Joe171 ( DR FRANKENBOW ) likes this

#13 Aimo

Aimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 887 posts
  • LocationCanton-Michigan

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thank you very much corky..I told you are the best !! I have 3D suit and i m thinking to make it Ghillie suit.. My 3D old design but still useful .
Thank you for sharing my friend.

#14 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Aim, you're too generous with your kind words, thanks for the compliment.

I'm thinking of making another one for when all the green in the woods is gone, everything turns a grey brow... I bought some extra bolts of sand colored synthetic string from these folks and can dye the various shades of brown to suit the surroundings.

Corky

#15 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Corky,

Great suit and well thought out camo. ;)

Seems like if you don't like the red thumb saver on the CHAOS 325, you could simply paint it black or camo. Perhaps I'm wrong. :)

#16 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Cliff, I don't mind the red thumbsaver at all, as you know, deer are color blind... is not an issue for me, perhaps for some???

Rut should start here in a week or two... LOL, I'm hunting on 36 acres of private land, but really am confined to just one ridge because slopes are so steep and ravines are clogged. Last evening I head 4 different muzzleloaders go off near by... don't think this guys land is as private as he thinks! LOL...

I've never had any luck, fishing or otherwise, on full Moons, but I'll be down there in a hour or so... can't make any sales if ya don't make the calls! ;-)

Corky

#17 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I agree, the red would'nt bother me either. ;)

Hope you get one soon.

#18 rampage

rampage

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationDanville, Pa

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

TOTALLY INVISIBLE,WHY THE RED?

#19 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Rampage... the Red is the Thumbsaver on the CAMX CHAOS 325... makes it impossible, or very, very hard to get you fingers in the way of the Xbow string when fired... a safety measure all Xbows should have...

Corky

#20 jdbell91

jdbell91

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

My brother and I use Bush Rag ghillie suits. He has the Marc Anthony bow hunter suit. I have the Chameleon suit. Both work great. It is the best camouflage we have ever used. Their web site is www.bushrag.com. I recommend getting a pair of suspenders to help keep the pants up.

Good luck!