Ohio Landowner Hunting Regulations

• Please log in to reply

#1 Bob Magyar

Bob Magyar

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMontville Township, Ohio

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

The Ohio Gun Deer season has opened, and many of us who are blessed to have our own hunting property will most likely be staying there this week. I have been reviewing regulations and checking with ODNR I Found a few Regs that i thought might be helpful, some I was aware of, and others I was not.

Minimum acreage : There is NO minimum acreage requirement in Ohio, In the mid 90's an Ohio man who owned less than 1 acre surrounded by farm fields,challenged Ohio's 10.5 acre minimum for deer hunting. The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that as long as the man owned the land, and paid his taxes, the State had no right to restrict his use of said land, and the minimum was abolished.
******CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT, COMMUNITIES CAN PLACE THEIR OWN RESTRICTIONS ON HUNTING**************************************

Minimum distance from structures or property lines :: Marianne Hartman from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, says there is no Division of Wildlife regulation that mandates hunting outside of a set distance from private residences or buildings, or a distance from property boundaries. The Ohio Revised Code (ORC) has several statues that discuss shooting a firearm near certain premises. For example, Section 2923.16.1 ORC prohibits discharging a firearm at or into an occupied home, or a school safety zone, or within one thousand feet of any school building or school premises boundaries. Section 2923.16.2 ORC prohibits discharging a firearm upon, over, or within one hundred yards of a cemetery, or discharging a firearm on land adjacent to any church, schoolhouse, or other inhabited dwelling of someone else. These two sections mentioned do not specifically state anything about hunting and are not within the jurisdiction and authority of the Division of Wildlife.
Some communities or municipalities have their own specific regulations that may prohibit hunting or shooting firearms or bows near private residences, or how far you can hunt from a property line. These are enforced by local police departments. In most rural areas such as townships no such regulations exist and as long as other regulations are followed, a person could hunt in close proximity to a residence if they choose.

Tagging : You may tag your deer with your self made private property tag even if your deer dies on your neighbors land ( you must obtain their permission first ) HOWEVER , Should you need to shoot a wounded deer off of your property, then you must use a state issued tag ( I did not know this !)

Pen or pencil : You must have a pen or pencil in your possession (for tagging ) while deer hunting in Ohio. This was new to me, and I was surprised to hear of numerous Ohio Deer hunters having been cited for this.

I hope this informs some of you, this is by no means a complete list of regulations, and all hunters should study their local regulations. I founds these few to be helpful so i thought i would pass them on. Hunt Smart, Hunt legal, and Hunt Safe !!!1

#2 Babysan

Babysan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hello, I live in Montville Twp as well. Do you know if they have any acreage restrictions?

#3 Silverjack

Silverjack

• Members
  • 1,079 posts
  • LocationN.C.,just a little NE of Raleigh

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hello, I live in Montville Twp as well. Do you know if they have any acreage restrictions?

Did you read the second paragraph ????

#4 Babysan

Babysan

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

I did. As Bob stated in CAPS, localities can place their own restrictions. Before I bother the police department with something petty, I figured I would first ask someone who in lives in my community and has experience in these matters. Thank you for your concern, Silverjack.