Barnett 4x32 scope caps

• Please log in to reply

#1 Stalker

Stalker

• Members
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationLAWRENCEVILLE GA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Just wondering why one of the scope caps is tinted? Is this in case you are in bright sunlight or is it for low light conditions like the yellow shooting glasses I have seen.

#2 Jackal12

Jackal12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

low light and adverse weather. Bright sunlight you don't want them on, can actually hurt your eyes if the sun hits them right on.

Edited by Jackal12, 28 November 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#3 Stalker

Stalker

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

low light and adverse weather. Bright sunlight you don't want them on, can actually hurt your eyes if the sun hits them right on.

Your talking about the shooting glasses right? I would probably never use the end caps unless it is raining.I assume the tinted cap goes on the end,not the I piece.Is it suppose to gather more light? It doesn't seem to.

#4 Jackal12

Jackal12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

I'm talking specifically about the two caps on the bungee cord that come with the scope. The tinted lens goes on the front end of the scope and it is designed to help you see in low light, rain, clouds, etc. It doesn't exactly make the image brighter but rather more defined by providing a contrast. I leave them on until I get to my blind, stand, etc to help keep the scope clean and scratch free. Then I toss them in a small hard plastic case in my bag.

In the beginning of the season during a rainy day of hunting I had to take a pretty long shot to finish of a deer my buddy shot in the rear. I scoped him in as he began to come into the field and it wasn't real easy to see my desired POI as it came into the field. I put the caps on and it made the deer so much easier to see in the field against the dark gray sky and rain. I dropped that deer with a double lung shot.

So while they aren't high tech or anything they are certainly worth keeping handy.

#5 Stalker

Stalker

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thats kinda what I was thinking it was for.I keep mine on for the same reason.I will look through it in some low light to see how much it helps with contrast. I might be doing some Coyote hunting at night and it might help.Thanks.

#6 Jackal12

Jackal12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

They can scratch pretty easily since they are plastic, so what I did was head to Walmart and in the vision center I found a small soft bag they make for like spare lenses. I keep them in that inside the plastic case so they don't get torn up. I keep a soft cleaning cloth that came with the scope in the bag with them. The plastic case they are in is one of those small, snap shut ones that you find with the fishing stuff for like cell phones and what not.