Ghost 350 Problems

• Please log in to reply

#1 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • LocationHamilton, Illinois

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Has anybody had any problems getting there 350 to break over. I went to shoot tonight (only the second time. first time was 12 shots) and no matter what I tried at half draw this thing would absolutely not break over. To top it all off the hook on the cocking rope road up over the rail came off the rope and snapped the complete end off of the arrow retainer. I know this sure bums me out

Edited by Geodehunter, 22 December 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#2 Jackal12

Jackal12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Its possible the cams are not level or something is binding it up. I am sure Barnett will take care of everything. It sucks if it ends the season but at least you know they always back their product.

#3 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

I will have to wait and see. I am absolutly not bashing there products. I'm just not for sure just what happened.

Edited by Geodehunter, 22 December 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#4 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

Here's what I did after some pondering. I did notice a squeel what I tried to break the crossbow over. I have some really good synthetic oil that I use on my rc race cars. I put just a drop on each side of the cams. I set the crossbow down and just gave the oil some time to work. I just tried again and I think it will pull over now. I'm not sure it cured the problem but it sure feel's like it did. Even when I started pulling the cocking rope it felt different. Actually it way better then the first time I shot it. But here is now my problem. Do you think there is still enough of the end of the arrow retainer spring to be safe to try and fire my crossbow? The width of the end is just a tiny bit wider then the width of the rail slot. I think I might be able to fire it but just wondered what everybody thought. TIA!!!P1010183.JPG

#5 Jackal12

Jackal12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Does the retainer contact the arrow? If there is enough cobtact to keep the arrow from coming forward off the string then I would feel safe shooting it. The whole point is to keep a gap from forming between string and arrow. You could also use a hair dryer or heat gun to make it go a bit closer to the rail.

#6 BigBowMan

BigBowMan

Happy Member

• Members
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationBig Flats, WI

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

Take it back to the store and get an exchange or send it back for repair. I wouldn't shoot that bow till it is looked over and fixed by Barnett. Shooting that bow without the proper arrow retention can cause a dry-fire and then void your warranty. Good Luck!

#7 Jackal12

Jackal12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 820 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

If the arrow is snug and it breaks over would finish the season but thats me.

#8 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Well after a good night sleep here is what I done to it this morning. I took the arrow retainer off the crossbow and took a good look at it. There were some rough edges from when it broke. I took a fine file and cleaned up all the edges to make it smooth again. I then filed an angle on the bottom of the retainer where it contacts the arrow and reinstalled on my 350. I hardly had to adjust the pressure on the retainer and this thing is working awesome!!! I have already shot about a 1/2 dozen arrows through it with absolutly no problems at all. I am one happy camper that's for sure.

#9 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think the 350 is shooting just fine. It's 15 yards down the hallway here in my mobile home. I know I'm sure happy with how things all came back together.

Attached Images

• P1010185.JPG

#10 speedball

speedball

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Geodhunter, i would get another arrow retainer anyway, Jesse (Barnettxbow400), will hook you up, p.m. him on here, you need the curved end on the retainer, you could void the warranty with it bro......

#11 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I totally understand. But our season is still open here until the 20th of next month. I don't want to miss out on hunting a few more days until it ends. If it voids the warranty I will just have to live with it. Thanks!!!

#12 deliriousnomad

deliriousnomad

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationAlliance, NE

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

I think the 350 is shooting just fine. It's 15 yards down the hallway here in my mobile home. I know I'm sure happy with how things all came back together.

hey I have an indooor 14 yard range (I checked with my new rangefinder!) too, but I dont have a trailer... probably why my center serving is shot... unrestricted shooting

#13 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I totally understand. But our season is still open here until the 20th of next month. I don't want to miss out on hunting a few more days until it ends. If it voids the warranty I will just have to live with it. Thanks!!!

Geodehunter
You won't have to end your season. Snap some pics of it, call Jesse at Barnett, ask for email address, send the pics, and more than likely you'll get a new arrow retainer in the mail, which you can install in the off season.
I do agree that its shooting fine judging by the pic. However, due to the recent cam problem I wouldn't risk voiding the warranty.
I'd get the replacement and install it in the off season.
Good luck to you and merry Christmas.

#14 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

What recent cam problem are you refering to? Is it on the Ghost 350. I can install the retainer here and it only takes about 3 minutes to do it. I will wait and catch Jesse when he is online here. They may be off for Christmas now.
  • Stalker likes this

#15 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

What recent cam problem are you refering to? Is it on the Ghost 350. I can install the retainer here and it only takes about 3 minutes to do it. I will wait and catch Jesse when he is online here. They may be off for Christmas now.

Not noting any cam problems. Was just referring to the fact that the hook from the pulling device went over the rail, oiling a cam solved the issue. Sounds like some friction on one side.
As far as problem like design flaw... Barnett is top of the game, couldn't find a flaw if I tried.
Also answered Pm message.
Good luck through the rest of this season. Hope you get a big rack, or fill the freezer.

#16 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the help and may your freezer alway's be full.

#17 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Geodehunter,
Very welcome. And thank you. Your wish for my freezer to be full has been granted. My 10 year old daughter got 4 deer with a crossbow and I got 4 deer with a crossbow. We each got a buck and 4 does. Here in my area we have unlimited doe tags. 8 deer has filled the chest freezer to the max. No need to buy beef. Got enough venison to last atleast 12 or 13 months. We eat it every day. Burger, sausage, steaks, roast, hickory stick, we process and make it all ourself.
We stopped hunting for the year a little while ago, but are heading out Christmas day, cause hunting on Christmas is a tradition my Dad and I shared. Passing that tradition on to my daughter. Its her first year year hunting, and we'll keep the tradition alive hereafter. However, seems how our freezer is full if we fill one or both tags I'm gonna process the meat and give it to needy families. Therefore I'm hoping to fill both tags.
Merry Christmas and good luck.

Edited by lovetohunt, 23 December 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#18 BirdDog-GSP

BirdDog-GSP

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Geodehunter,
Very welcome. And thank you. Your wish for my freezer to be full has been granted. My 10 year old daughter got 4 deer with a crossbow and I got 4 deer with a crossbow. We each got a buck and 4 does. Here in my area we have unlimited doe tags. 8 deer has filled the chest freezer to the max. No need to buy beef. Got enough venison to last atleast 12 or 13 months. We eat it every day. Burger, sausage, steaks, roast, hickory stick, we process and make it all ourself.
We stopped hunting for the year a little while ago, but are heading out Christmas day, cause hunting on Christmas is a tradition my Dad and I shared. Passing that tradition on to my daughter. Its her first year year hunting, and we'll keep the tradition alive hereafter. However, seems how our freezer is full if we fill one or both tags I'm gonna process the meat and give it to needy families. Therefore I'm hoping to fill both tags.

Geodehunter,
Very welcome. And thank you. Your wish for my freezer to be full has been granted. My 10 year old daughter got 4 deer with a crossbow and I got 4 deer with a crossbow. We each got a buck and 4 does. Here in my area we have unlimited doe tags. 8 deer has filled the chest freezer to the max. No need to buy beef. Got enough venison to last atleast 12 or 13 months. We eat it every day. Burger, sausage, steaks, roast, hickory stick, we process and make it all o

good man

#19 speedball

speedball

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

youll have that retention piece in two days from Barnett

#20 Geodehunter

Geodehunter

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Has anybody seen Jesse online lately? I guess I will have to call Barnett and see if I can get a new arrow retainer on it's way.