crack limbs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

#1 kochie

kochie

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Locationramsey , mn

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Is scorpyd having some problems with their limbs cracking like on the ventilator and they are telling people that they are just cosmetic just heard people talking ?

#2 NBK

NBK

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationNoVa

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

No problems with mine.

#3 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

You might want to read this thread that was started the day before Christmas. Here was my reply to it, I think you should also read the others.

The only one I have heard of is Spike had a hairline crack on the outer side of one of his limbs. According to Barnsdale, if the crack runs the with the limb, it is cosmetic and can still be shot, so it would not ruin your hunt. The limbs are true laminates, unlike some compression molded limbs. Scorpyd's warranty will cover it, and they have a 1 to 2 day turn around, so you don't miss your whole season.

I say Geomann1055 should have at least one picture to back up that statement, but I have yet to see one. Ask him for one. I find it hard to believe one person had this happen 3 times, and will believe it when I see it.

I would call Scorpyd to see if there is any truth to his claims.

http://www.crossbown...ues-with-limbs/

#4 kochie

kochie

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Locationramsey , mn

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Just wanted to know whats going on i have one on order not trying to start anything but even if them cracks are cosmetic still not a good thing but i am sure jim will take care of it

#5 ben911

ben911

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • LocationQuebec,Canada

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

no relate problem on Ventilator,on slp 165 i have 2 recall of cosmetic crack on ouside face.

#6 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Just wanted to know whats going on i have one on order not trying to start anything but even if them cracks are cosmetic still not a good thing but i am sure jim will take care of it

I agree that no crack would be a good crack, but ask whoever you heard it from for a picture. I have yet to see one other than one hairline crack in outer lamination on Spikes Ventilator, and his limbs were replaced and turned around in 2 days.

I understand your concern, I just haven't seen more than that, and you should call Scorpyd as they are the only ones that can answer your question.

#7 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Saying a crack in a fiberglass limb is cosmetic is BULL! It's asinine and an excuse.

I have talked with a few that report the issue and mine has the so called COSEMTIC hairline crack on the outside of the limb. Laminated, Hmmmmm?

Seeing as you dont believe I will try and post a pic tomorrow for you.

#8 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Saying a crack in a fiberglass limb is cosmetic is BULL! It's asinine and an excuse.

I have talked with a few that report the issue and mine has the so called COSEMTIC hairline crack on the outside of the limb. Laminated, Hmmmmm?

Seeing as you dont believe I will try and post a pic tomorrow for you.

David,

Scorpyd replaced that limb under warranty, and no one said you have to live with it. It has been said that with the hairline crack in the outer lamination, the crossbow can be cocked and hunted with, and would not ruin your hunt. It can be replaced under warranty once your hunt is over, or as soon as you wish.

How long are you going to play both sides of the fence? I asked you once before and you ignored me that time. Any other Factory Rep or Owner is not coming on here with more than one alias, that I know of.

You can come on here as CAMX too, and then there won't be the conflict of interest.

I think you need to come clean with the posters here, we are all not stupid. You have slipped up and I can go dig it up if you would like.

I understand the guy making the claim 3 times, is now hawking your bow, the CAMX CHAOS 325. You just might want to post that with your picture, and let the good people of this forum know who you really are.

I don't see any crossbow manufacturer over on your CAMX Forum trying to scare away potential customers of your crossbow. I also noticed you were over on Athens Forum. You might want to let them know who you are as well.

I say it is one thing if one of us potential customers or customers voice our opinion, but for a manufacturer to hide behind an alias without disclosing their true identity, is quite something different. Wouldn't you agree?

Time to come clean!
  • offshorebandit and Vent062202 like this

#9 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Another member put me onto Xbowguy as the Camx owner about a month ago. That's just not right to come here as one of the guys and, stir the pot. :diablo:

Anyway- Cabelas is offering a new crossbow called the NXT Generation and, the limbs are said to never ever break.
http://www.cabelas.c...ch-All Products

#10 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Another member put me onto Xbowguy as the Camx owner about a month ago. That's just not right to come here as one of the guys and, stir the pot. :diablo:

Anyway- Cabelas is offering a new crossbow called the NXT Generation and, the limbs are said to never ever break.

I knew it from the get-go. He couldn't hide it from my eyes. Been pretty tame til just lately. Sorry, but it needed to be pointed out.

Just in case you need a shred of evidence. Read post #5 and #12 in this thread.

http://www.crossbown...-camx-warranty/

#11 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Somebody needs to stand in the CN timeout corner. And for once it's not me!!!!

#12 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Vent

I am not playing both sides of the fence and many know who I am. YES I am involved with CAMX. I have been on Crossbow Nation long before CAMX and longer than you. I bring well over twenty years unbiased, real world crossbow design and manufacturing experience to this forum and it's members. I have always offered a true and accurate insight into the crossbow industry. I unlike many am not a super poster but I am an industry veteran and professional. Owned or have experience with just about every crossbow made since the mid 80's so I think I can say that I have a clue. (For those of you that don't know and to save you hours on the internet I spent twenty years with Horton Manufacturing as a VP, not today's Horton Archery) I have never hid this from anyone nor do I hide behind some alias. First and for most my passion is hunting and crossbows no matter what employment. I have also worked in the firearms and ammunition industries as well.

If a limb is cracked its cracked and its just that simple. Listen to me! "Scorpyd by far makes the BEST reverse draw crossbow in the industry." Thats more than an opinion its the fact and can be easily supported by the quality of the materials used. I never said they didnt make a great crossbow and daily I tell crossbow buyers that if they want RDT in my profession opinion they are the only game in town. I personally know Jim and have a professional working relationship with him. I have watched Jim and his efforts along with his dedication build from literally nothing his RDT crossbows to the fore front of modern crossbows.

Just because you may not have an issue or a problem with your crossbow or your particular brand does not mean it does not exist. Get off your soap box! Anything made can and will have a problem. No one here ever said that Jim would never offer outstanding service and support his customers. Again, service is another reason to buy RDT from Scorpyd. You dont get a free pass to call or imply other members are lying by bringing their concerns and issues to light here or on any forum just because you havent had any problems.

There are no free lunches in the crossbow world not even for CAMX. There are going to be issues even for CAMX. Furthermore xbowguy, who again existed three years before CAMX, has never promoted or tried to steer a member to buy a CAMX crossbow. Its always been about sharing honest crossbow information to those that want to listen whether you like what I say or not.

Anything else that I might be able to clear up for you?

#13 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,328 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

In my case, I always pay an extreme attention details when I evaluate a product.

I am a a branding guy

1- I start with my budget.
2- What are my exact needs.
3- What are my expectations.
4- What is the production line for the product I choose.
5- How many products the manufacturer has to offer.
6- Is the manufacturer products can be find all over the place on the web.
7- Who distribute their products ? And how many distributors.
8- The service quality.
9- The passion behind their product.
10- Quality control on the production line.
11- The distributor pricing and the manufacturer pricing.

We are all looking for reliability, performance and accuracy for our crossbows. This place here is the right place for us to share all different know how and experience to make this sport better and better.
I just hope the manufacturers think the same way. But manufacturers are in this market monstly to make money. So if they produced products that can stand a life time they will not make a lot of profit and their shareholders would not appreciate that. That is most of the time the major issue for a big production line with many products to brand and sell a.s.a.p to get their market share upgraded. Small manufacurers do not have the same issue. Small manufacturers must pay attention to their product because they have to built up their brand reputation. And some of them don't have the plan to become a major manufacturer with many products to promote and brand. It is the same for other industry manufacturers than crossbows.

We must be demanding as consumers in front of the manufacturers and in the future I hope their will be ''standards'' for product reliability, performance and accuracy for all the manufacurers.

I am 60 yo and shoot crossbows and bows till I was 20.

Every time I had buy a new crossbow or a bow in all those years, I have always focused on my own personal thinking and never had major troubles with my products purchase.

Unfortunately my house have been in fire 3 years ago and lost all my collection, pictures, videos and personal souvenirs.

Just work together guys to make our sport and passion the best we hope with the manufacturers. They must listen to us an improve their branding.

Branding value is the key.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Gilles

#14 ruger375

ruger375

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Locationhazel green al.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

crappie-tom now thats a plastic deer killing machine ,my sons barrel of monkeys better watch out .

#15 bloodrunner

bloodrunner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Vent

I am not playing both sides of the fence and many know who I am. YES I am involved with CAMX. I have been on Crossbow Nation long before CAMX and longer than you. I bring well over twenty years unbiased, real world crossbow design and manufacturing experience to this forum and it's members. I have always offered a true and accurate insight into the crossbow industry. I unlike many am not a super poster but I am an industry veteran and professional. Owned or have experience with just about every crossbow made since the mid 80's so I think I can say that I have a clue. (For those of you that don't know and to save you hours on the internet I spent twenty years with Horton Manufacturing as a VP, not today's Horton Archery) I have never hid this from anyone nor do I hide behind some alias. First and for most my passion is hunting and crossbows no matter what employment. I have also worked in the firearms and ammunition industries as well.

If a limb is cracked its cracked and its just that simple. Listen to me! "Scorpyd by far makes the BEST reverse draw crossbow in the industry." Thats more than an opinion its the fact and can be easily supported by the quality of the materials used. I never said they didnt make a great crossbow and daily I tell crossbow buyers that if they want RDT in my profession opinion they are the only game in town. I personally know Jim and have a professional working relationship with him. I have watched Jim and his efforts along with his dedication build from literally nothing his RDT crossbows to the fore front of modern crossbows.

Just because you may not have an issue or a problem with your crossbow or your particular brand does not mean it does not exist. Get off your soap box! Anything made can and will have a problem. No one here ever said that Jim would never offer outstanding service and support his customers. Again, service is another reason to buy RDT from Scorpyd. You dont get a free pass to call or imply other members are lying by bringing their concerns and issues to light here or on any forum just because you havent had any problems.

There are no free lunches in the crossbow world not even for CAMX. There are going to be issues even for CAMX. Furthermore xbowguy, who again existed three years before CAMX, has never promoted or tried to steer a member to buy a CAMX crossbow. Its always been about sharing honest crossbow information to those that want to listen whether you like what I say or not.

Pictures of cracked limbs would be nice, without pics you have nothing;)

#16 JOE PA

JOE PA

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

On sale. Better hurry!

#17 Mainstreet Crossbows

Mainstreet Crossbows

• Members
  • 320 posts
  • LocationWest KY.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Vent I will be glad to post the pics. Just as soon as I get out of my stand. yes I'm huntting right now. I will be the first to say that the vent is the ultimate cool factor bow. I will be the first to say the quality is top notch. I will also say that Jim fixed them in record time, but I will also say that any crack is not a great feeling when such a powerful bow is cocked. When it happens more than once in the same spot there might be an issue. I never said this problem was in epidemic proportions. Maybe I had bad luck. I respect you for sticking up for what you believe. Dave did not even know until I told him to cock it and where to look. When you see the pics you might want to cock and look.

#18 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

Vent

Yep, the issue that was the topic of this post. Clear as MUD!

And show me where I ever said anyone was lying about this, you can't because I didn't. I did say "I will believe it when I see it", and still haven't seen it.

Go read post #3 in this link.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:03 AM
Geomann1055 on the camx site said he had sent back 3 sets of limbs. Sounds like a concern to me so i figured id throw my question out there.

http://www.crossbown...ues-with-limbs/

This was my response to that post.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:57 PM
The only one I have heard of is Spike had a hairline crack on the outer side of one of his limbs. According to Barnsdale, if the crack runs the with the limb, it is cosmetic and can still be shot, so it would not ruin your hunt. The limbs are true laminates, unlike some compression molded limbs. Scorpyd's warranty will cover it, and they have a 1 to 2 day turn around, so you don't miss your whole season.

I say Geomann1055 should have at least one picture to back up that statement, but I have yet to see one. Ask him for one. I find it hard to believe one person had this happen 3 times, and will believe it when I see it.

I would call Scorpyd to see if there is any truth to his claims.

Anybody can claim anything they want, but that does not make it true. I don't know Geomann1055 from Adam, but he has been here since November 22, 2012 (just a hair over a month),,,,,,

hard to find a dealer that has one because of price i drove 200 miles to shoot one. nice bows.

http://www.crossbown...-where-to-find/

has made 19 total posts,,,,,, has accused me of working for Scorpyd (not true),,,,,,

I have a scorypd and this has happened to me. I thought the safety was on so I loaded a bolt but when i went to fire nothing. So I removed the arrow and recocked and it worked fine. I believe the person that is very strong on the showing of the manual might work for scorpyd. This is my problem with that company its always feels like the consumer is to blame., and probably most of the time they are. I just thik scorpyd needs to have a little more tac when dealing with the public. There is a way to get your message across without pointing blame. My limbs have had spider cracks twice, and yes they replaced them. I just get the feeling they think the consumer is at fault. This is just my perception. They make a great bow I just feel they need to maybe rethink some issues with the vent. Like I said this is just my opinion not law.

http://www.crossbown...c/22369-danger/

I was wondering what these spider cracks he was talking about were in the above post, and he claims he has proof in the post below,,,,,,

just give dave a call he will answer all your questions. you do not need a cocking aid at all. the bow is light and easy to handle and that would just add unbalanced weight to the stock end.I owned a scorpyd vent and sold it. good bow great design, but it has issues. I know people might not agree but I have proof.

http://www.crossbown...eems-on-target/

and is why I told both the posters in the threads to ask him for a picture. I hope he was able to provide that "PROOF"?

He seems happy enough with your bows that he claims to have purchased two. I just find it hard to belive that he went from driving 200 miles to shoot a Scorpyd in his November 22, 2010 post,,,,,,to actually purchasing one,,,,,,and by December 12, 2012 had already replaced 2 sets of limbs for "spider cracks",,,,,,, then by December 15, 2012 had replaced another set and had the bow sold,,,,,,,,

I started hearing about the camx through numerous forums. I read and read. The comments caught my attention. Im a person that only crossbow hunts and have many crossbows which include the following. Ten point stealth, Ten point carbon XLT, Scorpyd ventilator, Stryke Zone 350, Excaliber, and Parker Tornado. So you can see from my list I like bows. Now Im not here to bash any of the above.They all have their place in the crossbow world. Since you cant get your hands on a camx to touch and shoot I called their number and talked to Dave who is one of the owners and designers. He took the time to explain his background in the crossbow industry and how the camx came about. we talked for over a hour. He was very informative and positive and understanding towards the consumer. This is a truly great feeling for us bow users. After i hung up with Dave I called a person he mentioned it was Jessie from Viperx strings, which in my opinion are the best. He saw the bow and said its a no thrills good built hunting bow. So this had my interest going. I read all the threads on the camx. I called Dave a day latter and ordered one. He had trouble with his computer system and the order took an extra day to ship. I did not care but he did and included an extra six acuspine arrows at no charge. Not bad right. So my bow came a few days later. I opened the box. What a well thought out packing process. It took no time to put the bow together. Scope is on and in the right spot. The close eye relief is so cool and well thought out. The stock is light and very well built. the arrow retention system is the best I have seen on any bow to date. Being able to uncock the bow without shooting it is in my opinion a great benefit to have. I had to add some spacers to the end of the stock which are included in the package. Very well thought out. The bow comes with a paper target which has been shot six times. This shows the accuracy of the bow when it left the factory. On the paper target it shows the speed of the bow and signed by the person who tested it. My paper said my bow shoot 328 fps. Of course I had to see if this was correct. I set my chrono up and shot three arrows they all read 330 fps. Not bad.This is only the second bow that will shoot what they say. I then set my target at 20 yrds. shot three times all money. I moved it out to 30 yrds shot 3 times once again money. So I moved it out to 40 yrds the same money! I did not have to adjust the scope at all. To me this is a first. The bow was super easy to cock and the red wing hand protectors are a nice feature. My purpose for sharing this information is to let people know this is in my opinion the best pure hunting crossbow I have owned. Of all my bows this will be my first pick to take to the woods from now on. If you are interested give dave a call at camx he will ease your mind. This man cares about hunters and only hunters. One thing I learned about bows that push the speed envelope is that they come with a price in various areas. This bow is plenty fast to kill deer and what other game one might hunt. I know some people will have some smart blank comments to make but I could care less. I thought it was my duty to share this with people on the fence. Remember you have ten days to send it back, and I truly believe you wont.

You say that it seems wide, and yes if you look at the pictures it appears so. Have you held one in person, because if so your mind set would change. I put it along side my Ten Point carbon XLT. Not as much difference as one would think. its also so much more balanced and lighter, and shorter. All I can say is I sold my scorpyd ventilator, my parker tornado F4, and Im selling My new Ten Point XLT,to purchase a second camx. Best feeling bow Ive put in my hands. I see you have listed all your facts above but its all different when you handle the camx. Talk about wide my first bow was a Excal. I will say a great bow. Why does everyone already want Dave from Camx to change this bow no need. Im sure he will make other models and give in and add more speed ,but not needed.

Hey guys just like to give you an update on my camx. It was a lousy day to hunt in west ky. so I took the camx out and shot over a 100 times. I moved the target at all kinds of various distances nothing exact. this bow is so dead on its amazing. The scope is just a joy because its right there. Perfect fit. I will say this do not shoot at the same spot to try and get a group because I split one arrow. My bad. I then shot it through the chrono still 330. I called dave at camx friday and told him I sold my ventilator and to build me another one. So it will be shipped out next week. My good friend who bought my ten point brand new carbon XLT was so impressed with this bow he asked me to list and sell his and order him a camx when sold. Just for fun after shooting the camx I picked up the ten point XLT and shot it for a refresher. Great bow but boy is it long and front end heavy, and the scope is not as user friendly.So Mako I understand your situation. Like others have said the worst you would be out is 15 dollars. Im not going to start a bow war but the scorpyd has issues.

I too was intrigued by the scorpyd at first. Then when I got it and started to play with it I realized that speed comes with a price. In my case it was three sets of limbs. After less than 100 shoots I noticed small cracks running the length of the limbs starting were they bolt on for about 4 inches. I called up and was told they were cosmetic. I sent them back and they were replaced. Got those back put less than thirty shoots and the same cracks. Had them replaced again. Mine was black so they showed up well when cocked. I talked to someone else who has a camo version told him to cock it and he said he had one on just one side. He was shocked because if you dont look you would never know. Yes they do replace them but there is some problem. I have been around boats all my life and know that once fiber glass cracks it will grow and weaken.They are a cool bow but not that much to put up with that. Look at Bowtech problems. 330 fps is plenty fast to kill any game you will see. Flat nocks are also more accurate than other configurations in my opinion. Its your choice and you will make the best one for yourself. If you have any questions just ask I will try to help. I have nothing to gain from what ever bow you buy because I am just a consumer with many crossbows. Like I said the camx is a great hunting bow package. Yes there are cheaper and faster but not better. Just different. Im sure Dave will come out with a faster bow but remember if you narrow the limbs you must lengthen the stock. The speed must come from somewhere. Wy do you think Ten Point has not broke the sound bar yet. Because they dont want the risk. If I was on a survival mission camx would be the bow I choose. Good luck in your choice.

http://www.crossbown...-camx-crossbow/

So what was it two sets of limbs before he sold it, and one set after he sold it? Was the bow being pressed improperly??? The Scorpyds need to be pressed at the limb tips, not half way up the limbs. Just find it hard to believe a guy could even send his bow back to Scorpyd and have three sets of limbs exchanged in 3 weeks, even with Scorpyds 1-2 day turn around?

Some things just do not add up!

#19 bloodrunner

bloodrunner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

I would love to see pics so I can cock my Vent and take a look.

#20 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

Vent I will be glad to post the pics. Just as soon as I get out of my stand. yes I'm huntting right now. I will be the first to say that the vent is the ultimate cool factor bow. I will be the first to say the quality is top notch. I will also say that Jim fixed them in record time, but I will also say that any crack is not a great feeling when such a powerful bow is cocked. When it happens more than once in the same spot there might be an issue. I never said this problem was in epidemic proportions. Maybe I had bad luck. I respect you for sticking up for what you believe. Dave did not even know until I told him to cock it and where to look. When you see the pics you might want to cock and look.

I agree that there should be no cracks in any limb. I just find it hard to believe you had a Ventilator for a total of 3 weeks MAX, and yet you had issues with 3 sets of limbs? Were you pressing the limbs in a press that did not press from the tips of the limbs? All Scorpyd limbs are to be pressed from the limb tip, not half way up the limb between the limb pocket and cam.

I guess we know where you sold your Ventilator now, so is CAMX going to be working on a reverse limb model in the fuuture? Or is that how he recruits his sales reps?

I have went over my limbs with a fine tooth comb, both cocked and relaxed, no hint of any cracks or spiders.

I'll be waiting for pics of 3 sets of limbs with these so called spider cracks, whatever that is, and I would also like to see a pic of the type of press these limbs were pressed in as well.