Whats new for 2013 Its called the Scorpyd Velocity 165

• Please log in to reply

#21 Buck_Slayer

Buck_Slayer

• Members
  • 1,367 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Here you can watch a video of a Scorpyd shooting at 504 fps.
They use stronger limbs from Middleton.
But who need this.

Some people ask who needs 400fps. :)

#22 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

You're not going to get deer jumping the string on you within a normal hunting distance with a 500 fps arrow. Less cruelty to the animal. ;)

This could be an advantage used by pro-crossbow to fight the anti-crossbow crowd. Compound and Re-curve hunters are really much more inhumane than we crossbow hunters. Fight fire with fire. :lol:

Edited by Highlander, 06 January 2013 - 10:29 AM.

#23 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I dont think that will change the jumping string if you shoot at 400 fps. Saying that, I have nothing against 500 fps.

#24 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

You're right that 400 fps is not fast enough within normal hunting distances. You will need a minimum of 500 fps within 30 yards or so IIRC & 600 fps out to 40 yards. Bring on 600 fps & the sound produced by the xbow won't matter at all out to 40 yards. You kill two birds with one stone at 500 fps out to 30 yards. There are many that are really concerned about the noise an xbow makes and the easiest way to conquer this issue is perhaps faster xbows. Something to think about. ;)

Edited by Highlander, 06 January 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#25 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

You're right that 400 fps is not fast enough within normal hunting distances. You will need a minimum of 500 fps within 30 yards or so IIRC & 600 fps out to 40 yards. Bring on 600 fps & the sound produced by the xbow won't matter at all out to 40 yards. You kill two birds with one stone at 500 fps out to 30 yards. ;)

If you are sure the cord and the cables can stand this yes. I would use 500 for target shooting and 400 is for hunting.

#26 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Yep, I agree, speed only works if the crossbow is structurally sound shooting at these speeds. We have a ways to go yet. ;)

At speeds less than 500 fps, perhaps the best way to look at say 400 fps xbows for hunting purposes, is that they allow you to use heavier arrows for off-shot better penetration while maintaining say 300 - 350 fps. IMHO, this is the best advantage for the current 400 - 425 fps xbows. Just my two cents.

Edit: With 400 fps xbows you don't have to worry about sound or jumping out to around 20 yards. this is another way to look at 400 fps xbows.

Target shooting or 3D shooting are different animalsl all together. :)

Edited by Highlander, 06 January 2013 - 11:21 AM.

• GQ- likes this

#27 stephen simpson

stephen simpson

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

if i heard him correctly he said it was a 325 gr arrow. i wonder if he included the weight of the field point?

#28 Ventilator

Ventilator

• Members
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

So you think they could put heavier limbs but they don't since there are no arrows out there to handle the speed? Or are you saying they don't use heavier limbs since they can already advertise the fastest bow so they're thinking what's the point?

Seems like the SLP platform would be right around 450fps with 185# limbs.

There is no doubt in my mind that Scorpyd can (and probably has) go faster, but the arrows like Aerobolt II (200) with Aerovane III's that can handle it are just getting here. South Shore is introducing a internally tapered "Spynal Tapp" arrow that can be custom built/ordered as well this year, that also shows some promise.

Im sure that Scorpyd has already developed the next fastest thing, but what would be the point in introducing it before the arrow is ready and proven? They already were on the hairy edge when they introduced the RDT 165 back in 2010, and only quality arrows like the CE Aramid KV's were really ready for it. The Aramid was also heavier than most other arrows, so they also reduced the speed of the bow as well from 397 to 410 FPS, depending on whether you used a 100 gr or 125 gr tip/head. Remember, that Gold Tip only had the Laser II at that time, and were caught flat footed, scrambling to develop the Laser III and Laser IV, the next year.

If you think about it the electronics industry milks us along, year after year, and so does the archery industry, if they want to stay in business. Most companies only offer one draw weight, for each model, or even only one model. Scorpyd now offers the Ventilator in 8O, 100, 125, and 150 pound draw weights. They even have a few out there with 135 pound limbs that were offered in the original runs.

Just guessing, but this new Velocity platform looks like it is going to be a refined SLP 165 that offers the best of the SLP platform married to the best of the Ventilaor platform. Stronger riser and longer/stable ATA of the SLP, with the refinements of the ventilated forend and rail, as well as the trigger/latch box and ADF of the Ventilator. Hard to say which cams it will have, but I also expect some refinements in the cams and stirrup as well for weight reduction. The longer ATA keeps string angle, buss cable angle less acute, which means longer life of servings in these areas as well. It has been reported that the new Velocity 165 will be a pound lighter than the RDT/SLP 165's of the past. Good stuff, IMO.

The sleeper here is the 8O pound Ventilator, and will be an awesome bow for anyone, especially the women and youth of our ever growing sport. 315 FPS out of a "Kids Bow" is nothing to sneeze at, and is as fast as the average crossbows on the market with twice+ the draw weight. I'm going to wait until I see everything Scorpyd has to offer, but I definitely see at least a set of these 8O# limbs for my Ventilator. Look out turkeys, and targets, because I'm going to "bring it"!

My take is Scorpyd has already proven their place in the market, and now are looking to refine what they already know works. But there is no doubt in my mind there is a new screamer waiting in the wings, for when the market and arrows are ready for it. The others are still trying to play catch-up, and will be for many years ahead, IMO.
  • Outdoorsman, vh64 and GQ- like this

#29 vh64

vh64

• Members
  • 433 posts
  • Locationnortheastern Michigan

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well said vent

The reverse limb platform has a lot of future potential in the right directions.

#30 445 supermag

445 supermag

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11 AM

Maybe i am not understanding what this new bow is. Is it the same size as my slp 165 and just a pound lighter with an ADF. I hope its more like the vent and a pound lighter than that. That would be more impressive smaller lighter. If its like my slp 165 and then Zzzzzz

#31 Redm2

Redm2

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationMICHIGAN

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Maybe i am not understanding what this new bow is. Is it the same size as my slp 165 and just a pound lighter with an ADF. I hope its more like the vent and a pound lighter than that. That would be more impressive smaller lighter. If its like my slp 165 and then Zzzzzz

If I were you, I'd send my slp 165 into Scorpyd to get retro fitted with some of the new upgrades and call it good!

#32 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:47 AM

This will be the fastest crossbow on the planet I am sure.

#33 Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman

• Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationMi

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

This will be the fastest crossbow on the planet I am sure.

For perhaps 2 years.........1?........less?

LOL!

BUT

If everything being reported on this new Velocity line is true, then it will be Scorpyd's best seller in about 1/2 a heart beat.

I've not had my SLP 165 long enough for the honey moon to be anywhere near over. So I think I'll watch with interest as this new bow comes out and see the reviews on it.

As it's being reported as a bit faster I want to see how the arrows & targets cope with it as well as how the bow it's self performs.

But I can well see myself going for a future 180-185 Velocity when that comes to be if the targets and arrows are up to the task.

#34 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

With faster xbows, they will make better targets as well. :lol:
  • GQ- likes this

#35 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

I like the Scorpyd flexible product choice they offer to the market. It is smart and solid based.
  • Highlander likes this

#36 Vent062202

Vent062202

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationKokomo, Indiana

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

When are we going to see the Spec sheet on this bow to compare to the SLP and the ventilator. If I read an earlier post right there were only 99 spots left on the order sheet. If people are buying these at the ATA show wouldn't you think they would have input on the specs or are they just buying with no info. I just need some comparisons so that I can pick a direction to go. Does anyone have any new info that needs to be public!!

#37 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

When are we going to see the Spec sheet on this bow to compare to the SLP and the ventilator. If I read an earlier post right there were only 99 spots left on the order sheet. If people are buying these at the ATA show wouldn't you think they would have input on the specs or are they just buying with no info. I just need some comparisons so that I can pick a direction to go. Does anyone have any new info that needs to be public!!

ATA show starting today. I am sure we will get informations soon. I hope someone from the Crossbownation is there to spy.

#38 bloodrunner

bloodrunner

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Some people buy stuff, without thinking about it, LOL!

I need to see specs and what the advantages are before I bite.
  • 240m3srt likes this

#39 240m3srt

240m3srt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Im very interested in this bow and look forward to seeing pics/specs before considering placing an order. My biggest gripe is that for such a reputable company their website needs a lot of work. The 130lb Teslon shows 167.75" ATA, obviously thats a misprint but serves as an example of an inaccuracy i would not expect to see from a company at this level. I want the weight of the bows with and without accessories, as well as the width uncocked.

Velocity is going to be around $1500+ right? Hopefully some accurate info and specs will be comming our way.
  • Vent062202 likes this

#40 ben911

ben911

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

x2