View New Content Mark all as read |  

Cant decide on what crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 mike6

mike6

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hi everyone my name is Mike and I'm from the UK and I have been browsing this site for a few weeks and the folks here seem to know what they are on about and a great site it is too.My problem is that the more I read the harder it is to decide on what model to get ,as hunting is outlawed here I have kind of ruled out Excaliber due to size of limbs ,so it's mainly target practice in my Garden which is quite large (nearly an acre),I have the chance to go to larger areas to shoot too. Bow wise compact ,easy to hand draw ,good customer service , parts easy to get,bow press etc ,good string life are what I'm looking at , very fast speeds are not top of the list .Trouble over here is that there is no where to try crossbows out ,most are on line stores although I have spoken to some helpfull people on the phone both of which mention Excaliber and Horton as very good and well made bows ,Horton do have a portable bow press for approx $100.00 which seems very handy ,also seen one I think is NiteHawk .Bows I have been looking at and checking reviews are the Horton Brotherhood 160 pull weight and the Parker Bushwacker ,although not ruled out a Barnett Jackall ,Barnett seemed to have reliabilty issues over here a few years ago not sure if that is the case anymore though .At the moment I have an Armex Jaguar recurve 175 pull (240fps) which is decent enough for the price approx $200.00 and is quite easy to hand cock ,I belive the same weight pull for a compound would be easier still to cock ,unfortunatly my bow prod has devoped two cracks that you can see when the bow is cocked ,saw that yestaday so discharged the arrow and will not use it untill I get it swopped out ,this may have been due to one dry fire I had when I was setting up sights in November ,big mistake although I thought being recurve it may have survived this ,it seems not. Arrow wise I have been stocking up on half moon nock 20 inch 2219 aluminium arrows ,not the greatest most expensive arrows but I'm hopeing these will be fine for a compound bow .Well thanks for reading my post and I would appreciate any input you guys have ,and any folks here in the UK that know of any crossbow service in case it's needed .Thanks very much ...Mike..

#2 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,354 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

All I shoot is Barnett. Own three of their crossbows. They are the only company that lived up to my extremely high expectations. I've owned crossbows from other manufactures, but was let down by quality issues, poor customer service, and the trouble of warranty repairs covered under warranty.

Edited by lovetohunt, 07 January 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#3 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

Welcome to CBN. I think I am going to pick up a PSE copperhead for my girlfriend.You can check them out on you-tube or Sportsmans Guide.

#4 Gabowman

Gabowman

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

All I have is an Excalibur but for simplicity's sake I'd reconsider my decision about this brand if I were you. Looking at where youre from, maybe the recurve bows are exactly what you need seeing as there probably isnt anywhere remotely close to buy parts should something happen to a bow. The Excaliburs are trouble free bows, easy on strings, and are some fast shooting bows too (up to 380 fps now). If the limbs are too wide for your liking then check out the Matrix line of xbows by Excalibur as the limbs are shorter. Well, this is all I will comment. This is also the exact reason I went with Excalibur.....nobody closeby to fix anything that should break on a compound bow which swayed my opinion greatly. And after getting the Excalibur....I'm glad I decided to go this route.:)

#5 Deerstalker

Deerstalker

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationCary, NC USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

I suggest that you look at the Matrix 355.

#6 KodaHunter0721

KodaHunter0721

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Take a look at KodaBow. No bow press needed , many features , very accurate shooting and top notch customer support. They have a web site , it's www.kodabow.com. I just bought a Bravo Zulu model and its the best shooting Xbow I have ever put my hands on. Good luck with your future purchase

#7 mike6

mike6

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the replies so far guys ,the new Excaliber Matrix does indeed look very nice I have been watching the video's of it .It's not over here yet but we have a good supplier here of Excaliber bows so it probably wont be long ,Kodabow are also avavalible ,just need to find somewhere that would let me try a few ...