View New Content Mark all as read |  

Horton bonecollector anti-dry fire mechanism

• Please log in to reply

#1 Huntin Junkie

Huntin Junkie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

I just got my first crossbow this Christmas, my wife bought me the Horton Bone Collector. Went to sight it in and the crosshairs on on the scope did not move at all. So I called Horton and they sent me.new scope no problem. While sighting in my scope I finally got an inch from the bullseye. I was as so excited cause I was planning on hunting with it in the morning. I adjusted it a couple more clicks put the crosshairs on the target and the cams came off the limbs! I forgot to to put the freaking bolt in and dry fired my brand new crossbow! I just stood there in shock and mad at myself. Then I remembered doesn't this thing have an anti-dry fire mechanism? I thought that the anti-dry fire mechanism kept the trigger from engageing if the bolt was not inserted? Secondly I am wondering if my new crossbow is trashed?

#2 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,348 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Call them I am sure they will take care of it.

#3 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 1,858 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

The anti-dry fire on your bow prevents the safety from being moved to fire with out an arrow loaded. Here is the contact information for Horton I would call them as opposed to e-mail. http://hortonarchery...contact-us.aspx

#4 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Welcome to the World of Compound Crossbows, yer 1st notch & hopefully the last
  • dropzone likes this

#5 RICKD

RICKD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I don't shoot Horton's but that doesn't prevent me from feeling bad for you. I'm sitting here trying to put myself in your shoes and it ain't EZ.

I have dry fired mine four times and fortunately my anti-dry fire worked every time. Each time I had a sinking feeling in my stomach and sat there in disbelief. How could I be so stupid as not to load an arrow.

I'm sure that Horton will make things right for you. Best of luck.

Edited by RICKD, 12 January 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#6 TX NFHunter

TX NFHunter

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Sorry to hear about the dry fire Junkie. Horton will take care of it.

#7 Huntin Junkie

Huntin Junkie

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Thanks guys. I will call Horton on Monday. I am definitely chalking this one up for experience! And pray that I never dry fire my crossbow again.