View New Content Mark all as read |  

GROUND HUNTING

• Please log in to reply

#1 BUMARMBOW

BUMARMBOW

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Do any of you guys hunt deer from the ground without useing a ground blind,just the como on your back or maybe a gille suite and a chair? what are your success rates or do you get busted.
  • blackhawk611 likes this

#2 GRIM

GRIM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have always hunted from the ground and have taken multiple targets in every season which I hunted.
Spot and stalk for me all the way man!!!!!

GRIM

#3 JR529

JR529

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWestern U.P.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I build alot of ground blinds in the spring out of dead falls and other stuff.The deer get dont pay attention to them buy fall.I have about 25 built over the years,No problem with not haveing a stand set up if the wind is wrong,just go to another blind.The best thing I dont have to worry about someone takeing my treestand.I have had very good luck out of them.And I hunt heavily hunted National Forrest.
  • Stalker likes this

#4 boone nc

boone nc

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • LocationPetoskey, MI

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I have hunted off the ground mostly over the last 4 years or so. Some in blinds and some without. I have found though it may sound cliche that it has made me a better hunter. To fool a deer and kill him while on the ground is a big accomplishment IMHO,. The best results come to me from using pine limbs and stumps to help hide me the most important and the hardest part is staying comfy for long sits. Using a chair creates that much more to hide, so finding a good pad or comfy seat is a must. It's always a challenge, I've grown to love it!

#5 54hawken

54hawken

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I Started bowhunting in 1962 @ 18 yr old. Bare bow instictive. Treestands and baiting illegal in Mi. then. Had a good middleaged mentor, who was a friend of Fred Bear. Made his own bows and arrows. I used only his arrows for years. He was a great experienced hunter and I was very fortunate that he befriended me. I killed many does and bucks in the following manner. Select your desired runway or funnel between feeding and bedding area. Pay attention to prevailing wind direction and dig a hole approx. 2 ft dia by 18 in. deep. Pile all dirt on the side between you and the expected shot. Sit on ground or cushion with feet in hole. Never had one pay any attention to the dirt pile.Many kinds of critters dig holes. Shot a couple the same day as digging. They tend to look right over top of you. Shot all from sitting position. Less movement required. All I had to do was shoot level. ( no sights) The dirt pile helps to hide your movement. Still use it some nowadays. No more work than hauling and setting up a ladder stand alone. I would think you could pile your dirt close and set your crossbow on top ready to pull trigger. Try it you will be suprised. Had to give up my compound after shoulder surgery. Just ordered a new Excal Exomax. Will be joining your ranks this fall.

#6 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPalestine, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I like hunting on the ground also, I usually nail a board up between 3-trees for a rest, cover with a camouflage netting, and then build a waterproof roof over it when it proves to be a well traveled deer trail, I like facing it North for the winter breezes. The downside is that when the deer come from behind you, you can hear them walking up close, you know they are fixing to blow, that's the pisser. Our nice woods 50-years ago were clear because of the trees canopy above, now the woods are covered with yaupon bushes & cedar trees. To hunt the woods in North East Texas, blinds need to be permanent, so to keep the shooting lanes cleared.

#7 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationPalestine, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Having a permanent blind is a good excuse to go out in the fall and make preparations for opening morning. I enjoy getting the tractor, breaking up the land for the winter wheat, & oat patches. We then get the wasp from under the swivel chair, and also get the squirrel, and wood rats out, so there are no surprises when crawling in the stand in the dark. I always rake the dry leaves off the ground in the stand so I don't make any noises when moving my feet to take a shot, or just for a better look. The preparations are really more fun than the actual hunt, fighting the mosquitoes, and crawling spiders. We then all go back to the camp with the buds to have a cold drink or two, probably three.

Edited by Ronnie, 14 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#8 msflatlander

msflatlander

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of I 80

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

The older I become the more I like the ground!
  • Fullquiver, Stillhunter and blackhawk611 like this

#9 IronNoggin

IronNoggin

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationPort Alberni, Vancouver Island, BC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

I hunt exclusively from the ground. About 80% sitting in ambush, and 20% spot 'stalk.
When sitting, I simply wear good camo, find a decent area of vegetation that will break up my outline, and usually sit on a small (camo'd) folding camp chair. Been busted, but not regularly, and only when I either haven't paid enough attention to the wind, or it shifts when in position.
Usually spend a day or two patterning the deer before moving in and selecting my set-up site.
This has worked out Very Well for me.
Your mileage of course may vary... ;)

Cheers,
Nog
  • Stillhunter likes this

#10 hansie

hansie

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • LocationBeach Lake Pa

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I hunt on the ground, pull some dead limbs and brush up around me. I keep it about 2-3 feet away and about 2 -3 feet high. Use cover sent ! Had bucks and does walk 4-5 feet away and didn't know I was there. I guess I don't want to fall out of a tree. I am a carpenter and at 55 I don't really like heights any more.
Karl

#11 mlrtime

mlrtime

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

i just started hunting this year and i abought a tree stand and it is very uncomfortable for me i need to get used to it. I am gonna build a bunch of blinds on the private land i hunt and realy get the deer moving where i want with planting and what not. I got a really late start and am just know figuring out know how not to scare the deer away. Next year i will be ready i was going to build some tree forts in some of the trees in the swamp when they freeze up again so i can hunt it next season. I have a popup and i wish it were a little bigger inside to accomidate my ghost 350. But i have tried the stalk meathod. I saw a deer early on and their was know way he was gonna give me a shot so i snuck out of the blind and got like 20 feet away, but he saw me first next time i will move even slower the doe shoulda been dinner 20 feet away.

#12 Guest_hankenhunter_*

Guest_hankenhunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

A good synthetic thread gillie suit is the ultimate walk and stalk. Have had many deer bust me for all of five seconds then go back to what they were doing. I even scared the crap out of my dog when he mistook me for a bush and tried to whiz on my leg. Sitting using a gillie and 54Hawkin's hole in the ground idea for your feet sounds like a deadly combo for yotes. Thanks for the tip.
Hank

#13 blackhawk611

blackhawk611

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationHUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA35816

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

The older I become the more I like the ground!

me too buddy 8)

#14 scootergoodwrench

scootergoodwrench

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I hunted all my deer from the ground this year. Sit up against something that breaks up your outline, Keep the wind in your face and move slooooow. Had lots of deer within 10 feet of me with basic camo clothing on and nothing else.

#15 Stillhunter

Stillhunter

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • LocationApex N.C.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've shot lot's of deer sitting on logs, back to a tree or against a rootball and sitting on a small tripod stool w rifles and Blackpowder, most have been inside bow range and the thrill and pride of deer approaching so close is more for me than being in any elevated stand. I always wear camo everywhere, gloves, masks or mesh headcovers and I've had lot's of close deer stare at me standing and sitting on logs or the stool that continued to act naturally after a few minutes as long as I don't move. I frequently set up where the topography is such that a deer cannot see me until it is 40-75 yrds on knolls or saddles. It is quite exciting to hear deer approaching and finally see them coming over the horizon. I always clear the leaves away unless it's wet and when my backs to a tree I frequently stand up if hear the deer are coming from behind me. I look foreward to hunting this way w my +bow and the first time out this year I had a doe and 2 fawns at 30/40 yrds for 20 mins but only had a straight on shot at the doe as she stared at me sitting on the ground aiming at her, I thought of trying but did'nt take the frontal shot..

#16 msflatlander

msflatlander

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of I 80

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

For several years I hunted deer and turkey from a brush and log made blind. As a child we used to call them forts! The first year for turkey was great, two birds taken. The second year the mice moved in, still got a bird. Deer were taken every year too. The mouse population grew to the point that they would run across your feet. The third year of the blind the snakes discovered the mice. Have you ever had a large double beard limbhanger at 50 yard and slowly coming in? At that point I saw a black snake slither out with a bulge in him and make himself at home on my boot. I couldn't move because of the turkey getting closer and the darn snake was quite happy on the boot. Couldn't even flip the snake off because of moving and setting down the gun in the process. I toughened up and shot the turkey at 35 yards. The snake finally moved, went 2 yards and curled up and hissed at me. Recovered the bird and left that blind to the mice and snakes during turkey season.

#17 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

Been a few times when I hunted in a new area and didn't want to change surroundings, so I stood beside a fallen tree. Never been busted, and most times doing that I got deer. If your careful about eliminating scent as much as possible and can sit still, then you'll get a shot. But by far scent controle is a must, they'll smell you long before they see you. They may still come in if they smell you but they will be extremely cautious. And its hard to catch a cautious deer off guard.
Hope this helps.

#18 pitmaster

pitmaster

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMontgomery County, PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

I hunt from the ground. One my spots is between a group of trees and the other is a ground blind. I have taken deer from both. I don;t like heights and therefore avoid tree stands.

#19 Gabowman

Gabowman

• Members
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

So...for all you ground hunters...where do you sit your crossbow (and accessories)?

#20 stuffer

stuffer

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

this was my first year on the ground with a gille . i had a ball getting ready for next year, i will set up a bunch of ground blind spots with brush fallen limbs. so i can throw a camo cloth over my stick set up. i use a swivel seat that straps on a tree, i am ready to hunt, shot two deer this way this last season.as far as holding my crossbow i use my ready shot shooting . stick.