View New Content Mark all as read |  

Newbe?? How do I UNLOAD it??

• Please log in to reply

#1 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Ok...guys don't ram me too hard for this one!! Say i'm hunting and i don't take a shot....now what?? I am assuming that I shoot a 'target bolt" into the ground from my stand:confused:...is it better to use a judo type point?

#2 cingold

cingold

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

Some shoot an old target arrow, some buy those rather expensive wooden unload sticks that are environmental friendly ("shoot and forget"), some use the rope cocking aid (arrow taken off beforehand!!) and some crossbows, like the TWINBOW can be uncocked with the built-in cocking aid.

It's up to you if you want to use an old spare arrow with target point just to safely uncock (if you have a judo to waste, why not), or if you do a "reverse" cocking with the rope aid. Consider the safest and most economic method. NEVER do a dry fire (but i guess you knew that). From a stand I would shoot an arrow, it's unsafe to climb with a cocked crossbow, but i assume there are other opinions on that out there, specially handicapped hunters will face a problem when not able to cock in a stand.

Chris

#3 G Money

G Money

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationWaterford> PA (near Erie)

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

I did this the other day:
I shot a field tipped bolt into my "tough bag" target as it lay flat on the ground. The target is about 15" sq x 6" thick.
It's a standard archery target, but it had enough in it to stop the bolt before it reached the fletching. It worked.
I'll pack this target in the back seat of my car and shoot like this in the car's headlights at the end of the hunt.

Edited by G Money, 27 March 2009 - 11:23 PM.

#4 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:32 PM

When Hunting,I always use a cord,sort of like a recoiling dog leash to hoist my cocked Crossbow, in to the Tree stand or my Climber.Once situated in the stand,then load the Arrow.

Almost impossible for me to cock high poundage bow setting in a climber.

Remove the Arrow place in Quiver,lower the Crossbow to ground before descending.
I keep a small target near where I park my vehicle to shoot,unload the bow.

I Never climb with the Crossbow up or down.You really need both hands free.

Edited by SPECIALIZED, 27 March 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#5 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,250 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:53 AM

That depends on which bow I'm using. Lower the bow down without arrow but if it's one of the Excals I can let it down w/o shooting with the rope cocker. The Cyclone I let down by shooting an old arrow. Problem becomes if ground is frozen (sure recipe for shattered arrow). Then I have to carry it to the truck where I store a target, or my range if hunting behind the house. I CAN let the Cyclone down but that involves a short piece of arrow to deactivate the anti dryfire device and some finesse, not something to do in the dark.

#6 TRG3

TRG3

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

Joey...Last deer season was my first to hunt with a crossbow, so I was faced with the same question you posed. Here's what I did: To unload my crossbow back at the truck, I decided to shoot it in to an emptied Ol' Roy dog food sack that I'd stuffed full of old clothes, folded tight, and wrapped with duct tape. When I get back to my truck and it's dark, I get it out from the extended portion of my F150 4X4 and sit it up on the ground, placing my flashlight in front of it, step back about 20', aim at the small illuminated round orange dot placed on the O'l Roy sack, and squeeze one off. This target lasted through 30+ trips to the deer woods last season by relocating the orange dot every few shots. From the looks of it, this target will get me through another season before it's time to replace the Ol' Roy sack with the same old clothes.

Tom
(p.s. If you shoot a red dot, be sure to turn it off after unloading your crossbow as described above before putting it in the case. Don't ask how I know this!)

#7 TRG3

TRG3

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

Joey...In retrospect, I forgot to mention in the post above that I shoot a FIELD POINT into the 'Ol Roy target, not a broadhead, when unloading my crossbow. I'd need a lot of arrows if I used a broadhead since I don't think they's pull out nor push on through. Sorry 'bout that...Tom

#8 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

TRG,Very good point,I to forgot to mention I change to a field point before any,shoot to unload.

Thanks

#9 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:48 PM

I carry a aluminum arrow with field point and shoot it into the ground when I get back to the truck....

#10 Joey

Joey

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thanks guys!

#11 Hunter2

Hunter2

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:46 AM

I havent done it yet but I put a stock arrow with a field tip in my detachable quiver to shoot when the hunt for the day was done. What is wrong with pulling up a crossbow by your gear line when its cocked with no arrow in? I want to be safe as possible. Hunter2

#12 blue heeler

blue heeler

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:01 PM

If you`re hunting out of a climber or a loc on, it`s the safest way.Can`t cock mine after I`m up in the tree.Maybe a younger person can do it,but I`m sure that many of us older persons just don`t have the flexibility to do that sort of thing.If you use a cocking a (crank type) then you can cock it after hoisting it up to the stand.
I never climb with any weapon,learned years ago it`s inviting trouble. Safest way is to hoist it up after you`re in the stand and safety harness is tied off.

#13 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

I havent done it yet but I put a stock arrow with a field tip in my detachable quiver to shoot when the hunt for the day was done. What is wrong with pulling up a crossbow by your gear line when its cocked with no arrow in? I want to be safe as possible. Hunter2

Post #4

When Hunting,I always use a cord,sort of like a recoiling dog leash to hoist my cocked Crossbow, in to the Tree stand or my Climber.Once situated in the stand,then load the Arrow.

Almost impossible for me to cock high poundage bow setting in a climber.

Remove the Arrow place in Quiver,lower the Crossbow to ground before descending.
I keep a small target near where I park my vehicle to shoot,unload the bow using a field point.

I Never climb with the Crossbow up or down.You really need both hands free.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

I've used my rope cocker on a 225 lb Emax, 175 lb Paradox/Maxpoint, Horton 175, and a PSE Copperhead w/ no problems uncocking. The friction of the rope sliding eats up a lot of poundage.

#15 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Trying to uncock A Tenpoint with the extra safety or a Bowtech Strykeforce with the rope cocker is ,lets just say , for me not easy.

#16 Hunter2

Hunter2

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

Thats how I did my vertical bow for years. Put arrow away and let it down or take it up with agear rope, never climb with. Hunter2

#17 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

Trying to uncock A Tenpoint with the extra safety or a Bowtech Strykeforce with the rope cocker is ,lets just say , for me not easy.

Bet not! Neither is compatible to the process. I couldn't live w/ the forearm safety.

There was quite a bit of discussion on another forum on uncocking compounds w/ a rope cocker and those types being more dangerous than recurves. I didn't find it to be so on the models I mentioned, but did notice an increase in effort at the end as compared to the recurves major effort needed more at the beginning of the cycle. No biggie either way to me, they go down a lot easier than up, lol.

I was absolutely terrified the 1st time I tried it w/ my Emax.

I had a friend here one day that owned a carved tip Vixen and he grabbed my cocked Emax and was going to show me how easy it was to just grab the string and thumb the trigger. Before I could stop him, he did it and his forehead nearly bounced off the concrete floor, lol.

Maybe someday you can see my part of Arkansas. Shooting an arrow into the dirt is not an option, lol. Here's a clue to how rocky it is:
Posted Image

#18 ChoctawBusGuy

ChoctawBusGuy

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

Dug many postholes there bud??

#19 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

Awe! You killed it Awshucks! There she lay, on the hard floor! Oh, that's dirt?
Whoops! Sorry buddy. LMAO.

#20 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

Awe! You killed it Awshucks! There she lay, on the hard floor! Oh, that's dirt?
Whoops! Sorry buddy. LMAO.

I kid y'all not, I had to pay $300 to get enough dirt hauled in to have a garden when I bought the place. 20'X30'X 1.5' deep. Nice rock border though, lol.