View New Content Mark all as read |  

change stocks ?

• Please log in to reply

#1 longbeard

longbeard

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Can one swap the stocks on Excal crossbows ?  Specifically, can a Phoenix or other Excal stock with the longer length of pull  be swapped onto the new Matrix 355 ?  I don't really care much for the thumbhold stocks... 

#2 thesouthernway

thesouthernway

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBristol Florida

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

I have seen. some people swap stocks. Not sure which ones they did use.

#3 Ekkie

Ekkie

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Do a Google search for "Super Vixen".  At least one person mounted a Matrix 355 rail, riser, and limbs onto a Vixen (non-thumbhole) stock.  There are pics on some other sites.

~Ekkie

#4 agingcrossbower

agingcrossbower

advanced member

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationEast Central Wi.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

You can swap a Thumbhole stock for a rifle style, BUT you also have to change the trigger stem. The rifle style trigger stem is straight down and the thumbhole is angled more forward. When you put the stock on you may not get the rail bolt holes and stock hole to line up. In that case you would need to drill and tap new ones. Its not very hard to do so give it a try. If you have questions PM me. Aging

#5 agingcrossbower

agingcrossbower

advanced member

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT. I never saw a Matrix and am not sure if the trigger holes were changed so I'd check with Dan Miller on that or put them side by side and check it yourself. Sorry.

#6 automated11

automated11

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:54 AM

I had Dan Miller install a Vixen stock on my matrix 355.

You do have to drill and tap new holes in the barrel of the crossbow but it can and has been done.  The matrix uses a standard trigger so if you have an older thumbhole model you have to change the actual part of the trigger your finger touches from a thumbhole model to a standard model which is only a few dollars.

#7 agingcrossbower

agingcrossbower

advanced member

• Members
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

I had Dan Miller install a Vixen stock on my matrix 355.

You do have to drill and tap new holes in the barrel of the crossbow but it can and has been done.  The matrix uses a standard trigger so if you have an older thumbhole model you have to change the actual part of the trigger your finger touches from a thumbhole model to a standard model which is only a few dollars.

Hey thanks for clearlng that up Automated. Good to hear that they have not change the trigger housing or rail position. Makes life easier. :clapping:

#8 longbeard

longbeard

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Just being picky.  To me, everything behind the pistol grip on the Matriix stock looks like a kid's ray gun or something.  The older thumbhole stocks I could live with but, I'm gonna need a little time to get used to the looks of this one.  Like I said though, I haven't seen one 'in the flesh'. Thanks for the info guys.  Sounds like I might be able  to bolt up one of the other thumbhole model stocks.