View New Content Mark all as read |  

Would this work?

• Please log in to reply

#1 FlDeerman

FlDeerman

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

For those who have black powder hunted,would "bore butter"work as a rail lube?(After many years my old muzzle loader finally croaked and I still have a tube of it).

#2 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Bore butter is rather greasy, which attracts dirt that coshes string and deck wear. Much prefer a lube that dries after being applied, like Jig A Loo or other silicon spray. http://www.jigaloo.com/us/e_home.php . Be sure to spray it onto rag to apply to deck as the carrying agent can affect some paint.

• HDMann292 and Rog like this

#3 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I would never use Bore Butter for the very reasons Cossack stated.  In fact, I use no rail lube at all, compound or recurve crossbow.  I keep the serving waxed and the rail buffed clean and smooth and I have yet to have a problem with either style.

I do from time to time use a high-tech polymer car wax on the rails but that's about it.

• reticle4 likes this

#4 bowdup

bowdup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Not to mention Bore Butter has a very strong smell........not good for hunting :sad:

#5 FlDeerman

FlDeerman

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

OK thanks I knew I would get the answer here.The car wax sounds interesting.

#6 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:49 AM

In fact, I use no rail lube at all, compound or recurve crossbow.  I keep the serving waxed and the rail buffed clean and smooth and I have yet to have a problem with either style.

I do from time to time use a high-tech polymer car wax on the rails but that's about it.

This is good advice.

A properly set up crossbow (with string sitting a fraction above the rail),  needs minimal lube IMO. Too much can be more detrimental than good.

I cringe when I hear some shooters say they apply every 5 shots or so.

• See4miles and allchokedup like this

#7 Vortexter

Vortexter

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I use a silicone spray I found in the auto store, apply to a rag like others mentioned, it buffs to a nice slick finish.  I also use it on my arrows.  I've used this and have shot several deer and they don't seem to smell the lube.

#8 Techstuf

Techstuf

• Banned
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

One may apply PTFE adhesive 'teflon' tape to one's rails.  Teflon in remarkable in both it's friction and heat reduction qualities.

TS

#9 Techstuf

Techstuf

• Banned
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:29 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40