• Please log in to reply

#1 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hello, 

Because of my choice in Scope, the Nikon Bolt XR is only 8" in length. It has very little movement forward or back on the mounts. The only real adjusting comes in the way of the Picatinny Rail, and that also has very little adjustment room. My Mounts are the ones Danny Miller provided me, I believe they are medium profile.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had the need to try Scope Extension mounts, or something similar to the Nikon P-series below? I really would like to go a inch or two further back, but I am not paying no freggin $50 like these Nikon rings go for, lol...

UVpiKKql.jpg

Any ideas on how to move the Scope further back without spending much?

#2 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

or even something like this?

http://www.hawkeopti...-forward-2.html

#3 Deerstalker

Deerstalker

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCary, NC USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

or even something like this?

http://www.hawkeopti...-forward-2.html

I talked with Danny before his heart operation about the scope rail and adding additional notches to enable me to move the scope back as the rail I have only has 5 notches.  Danny said that it would be easy to take a file and make a notch or 2 in the existing rail as it is made from aluminum and would be easy to file.  The Nikon Bolt Xr scope has a 3" to 4" eye relief and for me the scope mounted as shown in the picture is clear, and very accurate.  I may in the future file another notch in the front section to enable this scope to be moved back one notch position.  The notch does NOT have to look like a factory job as it will be covered up by the scope mount rings.

IMG_0220_zpscedacc10.jpg

#4 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

I talked with Danny before his heart operation about the scope rail and adding additional notches to enable me to move the scope back as the rail I have only has 5 notches.  Danny said that it would be easy to take a file and make a notch or 2 in the existing rail as it is made from aluminum and would be easy to file.  The Nikon Bolt Xr scope has a 3" to 4" eye relief and for me the scope mounted as shown in the picture is clear, and very accurate.  I may in the future file another notch in the front section to enable this scope to be moved back one notch position.  The notch does NOT have to look like a factory job as it will be covered up by the scope mount rings.

You actually have one more notch you can go back on, and I do not. The rail was machined away on the last inch or so just above the safety switch. I need that extra rail space in order to go further back, as you can clearly see below.

al89o2Y.jpg

If at all possible I would like the front of the Scope to be flush with the front of the Picatinny rail.

Edited by SkOrPn, 12 May 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#5 Deerstalker

Deerstalker

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCary, NC USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

You actually have one more notch you can go back on, and I do not. The rail was machined away on the last inch or so just above the safety switch. I need that extra rail space in order to go further back, as you can clearly see below.

al89o2Y.jpg

If at all possible I would like the front of the Scope to be flush with the front of the Picatinny rail.

If you look closely at the rails you will see that yours & mine are identical rails with 5 notches.  You are using notch 1 & 3 counting from the rear and I am using 2 & 4.  I need a notch between 3 & 4 so that I can move my scope back a notch.  This is another way to solve our problem and it will fit on all Excal crossbows.

http://www.excalibur...ire_scope_mount

#6 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, that would be the sweet spot. 

QsaaPRc.jpg

#7 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

Take a look at the old scope bases. 

IMG_09411_zpse4d70639.jpg

Edited by Boo, 14 May 2013 - 11:02 PM.

• SkOrPn likes this

#8 Tinker

Tinker

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWoods of the Pacific Northwest

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, that would be the sweet spot. 

QsaaPRc.jpg

Who makes this mount, and where is it sold?

Thanks

#9 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

Who makes this mount, and where is it sold?

Thanks

Its a no name mount I am sure. Found it while looking through ebay for mounts that are offset. Looking at the other images of it it looks quite nice for my application (my scope will be covered with a camo fabric, so the machining and paint flaws will be hidden), it even has the scope tube pads to protect the scope from scratches.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360651000053

#10 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

Take a look at the old scope bases. 

IMG_09411_zpse4d70639.jpg

Is the base shorter on the older ones, or is the rail longer? It still has 5 groves only.

#11 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

The rear of your scope base is scalloped out. This older one is not. There's no problem with cutting out more slots. Just use a square to mark your slot. Use a hacksaw and file to create a additional slot as needed.

• Deerstalker likes this

#12 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

The rear of your scope base is scalloped out. This older one is not. There's no problem with cutting out more slots. Just use a square to mark your slot. Use a hacksaw and file to create a additional slot as needed.

My problem is I do not have enough rail to cut another slot. I need more rail so my eye piece is equal to how yours is on your Matrix. I think my only viable and affordable option is to get that offset rings above and paint it myself. I just realized I have some really nice Rust-Oleum Professional Flat Black Enamel left over from a custom Water-Cooled Computer I built for a client recently that will work perfectly on the rings, assuming I can properly sand it down. I think the rail on the Excals were designed for the Scopes they sell with them and not so much for after market scopes, like my short Nikon.

#13 nepabowhunter

nepabowhunter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSteamtown, PA.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

The Hawke rings look like they will do what you need at a cheaper price than the Nikons.

#14 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

My problem is I do not have enough rail to cut another slot. I need more rail so my eye piece is equal to how yours is on your Matrix. I think my only viable and affordable option is to get that offset rings above and paint it myself. I just realized I have some really nice Rust-Oleum Professional Flat Black Enamel left over from a custom Water-Cooled Computer I built for a client recently that will work perfectly on the rings, assuming I can properly sand it down. I think the rail on the Excals were designed for the Scopes they sell with them and not so much for after market scopes, like my short Nikon.

Do you need more than an inch?

IMG_09491_zpse92753a3.jpg

#15 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

No, an inch or two would probably be just right but without actual adjustment ability I am not sure. Just 5/16" inch back and the forward bell would be flush with the end of the rail.

Ok I just comfortably set my cheek up against the butt of the stock like I was ready to shoot and I am definitely several inches out of my eye relief specs. I have to move my head forward at least two inches to get full view. This sucks lol now that I see how bad it is. Is my neck too short for this xbow? It's almost like I need the stock shorter.

Mysteriously sent from my Nexus 7

#16 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Are those excalibur bridges in that photo?

EDIT: I wonder if Excalibur would trade me a bridge for a hardly used bridge? Lol

I just measured the rear and the machined out metal on the back of my bridge is what I need returned... It would give me 1.5" more rear adjustment and probably make all the difference.

Mysteriously sent from my Nexus 7

Edited by SkOrPn, 19 May 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#17 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

It's an older scope base that you can likely buy from a dealer that takes trade-ins.

You could also drill new holes in your scope base and move it back. You can grind the rear end of the sides so that you can still reach your safety.

• SkOrPn likes this

#18 SkOrPn

SkOrPn

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationTijeras, NM

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

It's an older scope base that you can likely buy from a dealer that takes trade-ins.

You could also drill new holes in your scope base and move it back. You can grind the rear end of the sides so that you can still reach your safety.

This looks like it might work, if the image is true. http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000PW7OVQ

OR, even this

pOpCPmw.jpg

Edited by SkOrPn, 19 May 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#19 xbowhardcases

xbowhardcases

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I just purchased a bolt XR to try out on my matrix 355.  The clarity of the scope compared to  the Hawke I have owned is a significant improvement.

so based on the posts above has anyone tried out these offset 1" mounts?  http://goo.gl/023Ou

#20 Deerstalker

Deerstalker

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationCary, NC USA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I don't believe that you will have a problem with the 355 as the mounting rail is different than the one we are having a problem with.   I believe that your mounting rail is extended back almost to the safety position, look at the rail and the screw mounting holes.  Our mounting rail has a cut out on the rear that the 355/380 do not have.  I was able to move my Nikon Bolt back and it is just fine for my shooting with reference to the eye relief.  See picture and the front of the scope does not touch the rail as it has a semi V notch down the length of the rails.  Hope this helps and it was simple to cut another notch in the rails as Danny and Boo said.

IMG_0698.jpg