• Please log in to reply

#1 kotipelto

kotipelto

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about shooting 22 inch arrows through the carbon express sls. the company offers 20 and 22 inchers but what is the difference? Would 20 inch be for target practice and the 22 inch for hunting? It looks like most here are shooting the 22 inch arrows if I am not correct? Of course the xbow I bought came with the 20 inch arrows. Should I go with 22 or not?

#2 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Yes you can shoot the 22 as long as they meet the manufactures minimum weight requirement and they have the nock your bow requires.   

#3 kochie

kochie

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Locationramsey , mn

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

go with 22 inch but don't be afraid to also try the 20 inchers for shorter distance. depends on your hunting situation broadhead weight type of bow you have the amount of spine needed its all a big puzzle you need to put together,

#4 jackpine

jackpine

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

In general, per Dorge (Firenock) and others, longer arrows are more accurate.  And that makes sense.  However, the accuracy advantage related to shooting a longer arrow could be negated by shooting a longer arrow that is less well suited to your bow or is a poorer arrow in terms of construction (spine, straightness, weight distribution along the length of the shaft, nock, and insert and point construction and straightness).   In other words the accuracy improvement you would gain by shooting a longer arrow could be negated if the longer arrow is of poorer quality or a less perfect match for your bow.  Quality of construction and materials is important.

A longer arrow is also usually heavier although at least one manufacturer (Firenock) makes arrows that reportedly overcome that issue.  There are advantages and disadvantages to shooting lighter or heaver arrows including differences in trajectory and momentum carried down range.

I don't know anything specific about the arrows carbon express offers for your bow but all other things being equal the longer arrows should be a little more accurate (assuming they compatible in terms of minimum weight required and nock).  That would apply both to hunting and target shooting. 

If you plan to shoot the 20 inch for target practice and then switch over to the 22 inch for hunting, you point of impact will change.  You'll probably have to re-adjust your scope.  At the least, the 22 inch will shoot lower than the 20 incher.

Edited by jackpine, 30 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#5 GQ-

GQ-

• Members
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:45 PM

Why not considering 21 inches arrows ?

#6 blackhawk611

blackhawk611

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationHUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA35816

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering about shooting 22 inch arrows through the carbon express sls. the company offers 20 and 22 inchers but what is the difference? Would 20 inch be for target practice and the 22 inch for hunting? It looks like most here are shooting the 22 inch arrows if I am not correct? Of course the xbow I bought came with the 20 inch arrows. Should I go with 22 or not?not unless you want more penetratin from the extra weight?meaning mor e mass.

#7 jackpine

jackpine

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Or you could shoot a 21 incher!

More concisely than above, even though Carbon Express offers the 22 and 24 inch and you're trying to choose between those two you first of all need to make sure both length arrows are suitable for your bow (according to Carbon Express weight and nock requirements).  If so and the arrows are of similar quality the longer one will fly a little straighter.  You can't shoot both length arrows and expect the same point of impact without changing your scope settings (you can't shoot a short arrow for practice and a long arrow for hunting and expect them to shoot to the same point of impact).

• GQ- likes this

#8 kotipelto

kotipelto

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

The arrows I am shooting are the maxima hunter 20 inchers with the sls and they seem very accurate. So from what I hav gathered here is longer is more accurate at longer distances? sorry for the late response,,koti

#9 jackpine

jackpine

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hey Kodi,

I shoot CX Maxima Hunters and have for years.  Great arrows.

From what I've learned here on CBN, longer arrows are generally more accurate at all distances.  But when you're more likely to notice the difference is when you shoot longer distances.  Whether or not you need that additional accuracy is your call.  If your maximum shooting distance is  going to be 30 or 40 yards then it might not make much difference for you.  Whatever makes you happy and able to put an arrow in the right place on your quarry.

Enjoy.

#10 kotipelto

kotipelto

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

very good info thanks,,troy

#11 HOGSHOOTER62

HOGSHOOTER62

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

Been asking myself the same question . wanting some B.E. arrows this is one of the things I am trying to sort out .