• Please log in to reply

#1 blackhawk611

blackhawk611

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationHUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA35811

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

i have never hunted moose, so i have no clue, but i was thinking i would if i am able i would go to washington state to see if i can put an arrow in one.

thanks in advance i appreciate it. mike crenshaw

#2 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

Moose taste better than Whitetails and Mule Deer not quite as good as Elk, better have lots of freezer space as an average Canadian Moose provides 600 to 800 lbs of meat. Swamp Donkeys are big animals so make sure you are prepared with a Chainsaw , block and tackle and a Quad with a winch to pull it out of the bush. Cactus

#3 VTxbowhunter

VTxbowhunter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  • LocationWaterbury, Vermont

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

I find that Venison tastes different based on what the animal is eating. A deep woods deer will taste different than a deer that lives on the edge of farm fields. Its just like grain fed vs. grass fed cattle.

Venison = the meat of a game animal, not limited to just deer.

• crappie-tom and Deerstalker like this

#4 Jack Pine

Jack Pine

Crossbow Nut

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationNorthern MI

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

i have never hunted moose, so i have no clue, but i was thinking i would if i am able i would go to washington state to see if i can put an arrow in one.

thanks in advance i appreciate it. mike crenshaw

Best game meat I ever ate; very mild with no "gamey" flavor at all.

Jack ><>

• 1diesel likes this

#5 1diesel

1diesel

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWesterville, Ohio

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:06 AM

Best game meat I ever ate; very mild with no "gamey" flavor at all.

Jack ><>

X2

#6 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Had moose once....was served in gravy....very good when it was hot....virtually inedible once it cooled off

Edited by briarpatch, 03 July 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#7 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Personally, I didn't care for it at all. Some of our Canadian members brought some t bone steaks for us and truth be told, my dog wouldn't eat it. But this is also a deal of what you like and what you eat from your area. We don't eat Moose in Texas, but if you live up north where it is common, I would think you would like it. It has its very own flavor for sure. Not like other venison at all. So its hard to describe what it taste like. Maybe cut a chunk off and cook and eat it before you decide how to process it. If you like it, cut steaks! If you don't, grind it up for burger and sausage where you can use heavy seasonings. Enjoy the hunt and please post pictures and a story about the hunt.

Maybe the trick is using what the locals use to season it so find out how people that eat Moose regularly season it.

Edited by Guide Girl, 03 July 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#8 GRIM

GRIM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

I don't eat a lot of Moose normally but when I do it taste like Jack Daniels!!!!!

GRIM

#9 Highlander

Highlander

I Didn't Do It.

• Members
  • 4,266 posts
  • LocationHighland, Maryland

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Swamp Donkey's, hmmm.  I might need some Jack too. :lol: 

999Swamp-Donkey.jpg

Edited by Highlander, 03 July 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#10 exomag

exomag

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • LocationS/W Ontario

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Very rarely do I find a piece of meat that I cannot stomach.

Moose is not beef and will not be very good if you bbq or grill it on open flame.

It's very lean and does well in roasts, whether in a pot or dutch oven.

It's can also be quick fried in a cast iron skillet.  Medium heat and add butter.  As the butter melts add your favourite herbs and spices. 

As soon as you smell the aroma of the spices add the steak.  It's not a red meat as such and will cook quickly.

Three to four minutes per side and it is done.

Cook the meat too long and it will be like chewing on driftwood!!

Moose is one of the best meats I've ever tasted.  I found caribou too bland and elk a good second choice with venison next.

Just my take on this and tastes do vary.

#11 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Wow, really: I've eaten a lot of different meats from Horse to Whale, Giraffe to Reindeer and Beaver to Wild Hog and have found two things that determine the palatability of the meat. One is what did the animal live on and how was it butchered, Beaver tasted like a poplar tree , bitter but that's because they eat wood and Wild Hog followed a close second , it was tough and tasted weird, yet roast the whole pig over a flame and it is to die for. Moose is no different if it comes from an area with swamps and has been feeding on lilypads and such it's excellent fare, however, like a deep woods Whitetail if it has been living off aspen tips etc. it is strong and unpalatable. Take in consideration that the meat has to be butchered properly ( deboned and silver cnnective tissue removed and aged) and even that raunchy Old Whitetail Buck improves. I enjoy Moose and Bison but my favourite is Elk. JMO. Cactus

• Deerstalker likes this

#12 IronNoggin

IronNoggin

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPort Alberni, Vancouver Island, BC

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Personally, I didn't care for it at all. Some of our Canadian members brought some t bone steaks for us and truth be told, my dog wouldn't eat it.

May not have been looked after properly in the field (as alluded to by Cactus above) or perhaps shot during the rut or the very end of the season...

I've harvested a couple dozen moose, and the ONLY one that was off was the Biggie I took when still a Young Gun and thought of course Bigger Meant Better. Not the case as with so many game animals.

When you select a younger animal, and well look after it both in the field and at home, it is one of the Finest meats out there! Very mild flavor if taken in the early season (still eating greens) that lends itself well to a great many recipes. Later in the season (snow) they can get bitter from eating willows and bark (their name "moose" literally translates to "Eater Of Twigs" - best to avoid them in late season...)

Cheers,

Nog

• Guide Girl and bobbyd1947 like this

#13 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,547 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

As with any game it depends on the physiology of the individual animal (e.g. in rut?), how it's shot and most of all how it's butchered aqnd taken care of. Then too, how it's cooked. I agree moose is better than whitetail, mulies but not as good as a good elk. Thne too, I've heard that antelope are not fit to eat, my last one was awesome. 

#14 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Cossack: The last time I had Pronghorn Antelope i really liked it but than I like a touch of sage, again it depends how the animal was butchered. I once tasted a Whiitetail that had been shot at least 8 or 10 times while being chased by dogs, it was like chewing  boot leather, awful.Cactus

#15 Corky

Corky

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

As I've never butchered a deer, I'd be interesting in a "How to" about removing this silver connective tissue... are these "connective tissues" you're refering to the individual membrane sheaths that surround and encase each muscle? Seems like a lot of work. 

I was told the most important steps where to dress and cool the meat quickly, soak or hang the meat to get the blood out... and when preparing steaks to cut across the grain of the meat??? What say you experienced folks? I have attended several wild game feeds, and I agree, ELK is the best, even my wife agrees! (well, frog legs are right up there too, and I'm not French)... ;-)

Corky

#16 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Corky, that is exactly what they mean about the silver lining. Its the area between the muscle and the tendon but also part of the thinner matter, incases each muscle. Kind of part of the tendon as it gets thicker as the muscle matter gets smaller until its 100% tendon. When you make jerky you have to trim all of that out for sure and it takes a lot of time. When I quarter animals in the field, I cut from the knee and maybe even leave have of that lower part also because it is just all little muscles and lots of tendons. I don't even mess with it.

Not enough meat in there to worry about it.

• Corky likes this

#17 bowman81

bowman81

• Members
  • 406 posts
  • LocationS.E. Michigan

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

I have had Moose backstraps twice....and they were excellent.  Preparation and field care really makes a difference in the palatability of the venison....any venison.  People who butcher deer/moose/antelope like a beef steer will ruin the meat.  The fat and connective tissues are tough and nasty tasting.  I won't take a saw to cut chops/steaks as is commonly done with beef.  Debone the meat and cut off all fat and connective tissue.

Another tip is to serve venison HOT....but don't overcook.  About the moose meat, I have had moose, mule deer, antelope and elk.  Elk is in a class of its own...the rest of the venison?  I think there is more difference between individual animals than there is between species.

I like it all.

• Corky and bobbyd1947 like this

#18 Downeaster

Downeaster

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • LocationMountains of Western Maine

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

I live in Maine where when hunting we encounter more moose than we do deer.  The state of Maine has a lottery of

moose permits, and it also allows out of state hunters to apply as well.  This year the state is culling 4000 moose

from the herd.  I have myself participated and received a moose permit.  Today the state chooses the gender, and

location that the moose can be harvested.  Not all of Maine allows moose hunting.  Generally it is the northern part

but moose are in all of it.

When we go out looking for a moose, we generally want a cow if we are looking for table fare.  Bull moose once

there antlers have panned out, have lots of tough meat.  Cows are like eating prime rib.  There is a difference in

taste between the two.  If you are looking for a rack to mount, then when you decide to have your moose cut up

choose stew meat, burger, and roasts.  If you get a cow go for as many steaks as you can.

All moose are excellent eating early on, but as the meat ages in your freezer it tends to get gamier. 

My best friend got a bull moose last year, and he has a full freezer, of tough meat.  Its been 8 months now since

he killed the moose and 95 pct of the meat is still in the freezer.

If you get a moose, it is a good idea to have several other hunters with you and portion out the meat of the

moose equally.  You will still have about 100 lbs of burger and more meat than you can consume in one

year.

• Corky likes this

#19 kochie

kochie

• Members
  • 1,967 posts
  • Locationramsey , mn

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Moose is good if like everyone said preparing it correctly from the time you shoot it to cutting it up . But myself i will take elk over moose any day. thats just me.

#20 lastinline

lastinline

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

the only time i had moose was when i hunted bear with an outfitter in Maine that just opened his business up.  guess they were trying to impress. he served lobster,filet mignon, and moose steaks the first night  for dinner. the moose was grilled. it didnt last as long as the other dinner items. its was deelicious!~~!!  it was a road kill moose that they had a permit for.

Edited by lastinline, 06 July 2013 - 09:01 PM.