View New Content Mark all as read |  

Ghost 385 Review(pic heavy)

• Please log in to reply

#1 cmil84

cmil84

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

Ok guys I ordered my Ghost 385 on Wednesday morning and I recieved it Thursday around 3 P.M.  Pretty fast shipping.  I am going to give you guys a first impression review.  Now with that being said remember this is only my second xbow and I have never hunted with one.  So take what I say but remember my experience level with xbows.  I do love shooting guns and I love bow huntings so it is only fitting that I am falling in love with xbows.

Now on to the meat and potatoes.

20130711_164408_zps9cd51078.jpg

This thing is Awesome for starters.  It came with the three bolts, quiver, scope, cocking ropes, wax and some replacement parts( I guess just in case??). It did not come with a sling however.  That is fine though I will just buy a Claw for it.  Now I paid $600.29 for this xbow and I recieved it within 24 hours.  Which was pretty quick.  I didnt expect it until next week.  On the downside of that the box looked pretty ruff.  I will get to that a little later.

Well when I went to put this thing together I notice that the hard ware that came with it said it was for a predator.  It worked for it but lets just hope that was on purpose?  Idk but if the Barnett rep sees this maybe he can chime in.

20130711_165027_zps68b9afc0.jpg

Well once I got the xbow put together I was like wow!!  If looks could kill I would have a 12ptr down.

20130711_164802_zps41ac33be.jpg

This thing is short, skinny, and light.  Feels awesome in your hands.  It has 185lb draw wheight but I couldnt tell.  I am only 5'4  so this thing being as small as it is was nice.  I could bend over cock it with no problem.  Didnt come close to feeling like 185lbs.  It was easy.  Plus with this xbow the draw strings were different. They are more like the draw string on Barnetts hand crank.  I dont know if this is a new string from Barnett but I liked it.  Made it simple so you didnt have to make sure you lined them up right.  It only had one place to go.  Right inbetween the string stoppers.  I really like that.  I will probably use it on my Ghost 400 also.  Look closely to the pic above and you can see it.

I did notice it had some minor damage to it though.  Like I said it got to my house fast so I dont know if it was reckless.  I had a scuff on the limbs. Minor but still a scuff(had pic wont load).  Also the rail on the bottom was cracked.  Small crack but still cracked.  When you spend your hard earned money your not to fond of things like that.

20130711_164617_zps798d1484.jpg

Hard to see in the pic but there is like a hiar line crack in it. I might be being picky but for paying as much as I did it kind of makes you mad.  Now I know I got a heck of a deal.  I would put the name of the place on here but I dont know if that is allowed.  It was a good deal and maybe that is why it was damaged like it is.  Who knows.  If the Barnett rep gets on here maybe he could shine some light on it.  I dont know if Barnett sends out any products that might have a scratch or something and that is why they get away for selling it $300. below MSRP.  I dont know be intresting to find out.

Next thing is the quiver.  It looks cool.  I just cant figure out how to get it on the xbow.

20130711_164813_zpsccd73622.jpg

What I do like about it is how it has a clamp on the back of it.  I like that because when I am shooting in the yard or woods I can clamp it to myself or my fieldpod.

20130711_164817_zps6adf766b.jpg

It has no room though to put anything else on the rail.  The pic online looks like there is but there is not. It is pretty much taken up.  So no lights.  That kind of sucks but oh well.

20130711_164624_zpsd589c43a.jpg

The scope is the same Cross scope that comes with all Barnetts.  So nothing to report on that.  When it came to shooting this thing it was AWESOME!!  I could talk about this thing all day.  I cant wait to get home so I can shoot it some more.  It took me no time at all to zero it at 20yrds.  I cant tell a difference in speed between it and my 400.  Same penetration.  Its fast.  What is great about this xbow is I think Barnett hit all departments with this xbow.  This thing would be good for the wife and kids.  It is in no way a kid bow but it is small enough that any 12 year old could handle it(trust me I live in the body of a 12yrold).  Just saying.  This xbow is not heavy at all.  It feels like you could go clear rooms with it.  Which will be nice hunting because your arms should not get tired when your holding it hunting.  This would be a great xbow for the wife too.  It is just all around the perfect xbow.  Its light, short and fast.

All in all this thing is Awesome.  I am very impressed with this xbow from Barnett.  Besides the little bit of damage it has it is awesome.  It shoots real fast, it is light, and short.  I love it.  The new cocking strings make it real easy to cock. It shoots real smooth.  The string stoppers help reduce the sound so it is not as loud as my 400.  Oh yea did I mention how awesome it looks!!  Awesome job Barnett!!!

20130711_164841_zpsd6dabc06.jpg

#2 swampy

swampy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationSplendora,Tx

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

Well the condition of the xbow is on the seller or the postal service. But to install your quiver just insert it at a 45 degree angle into the slot on the bottom and give a turn. It will lock into place. You will be wanting to replace your optics, because the factory scope is just not for long term use. Other than that you will be pleased with the ghost and Barnett .

#3 Silverjack

Silverjack

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  • LocationN.C.,just a little NE of Raleigh

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

If it were mine ,I'd be a little leery about the crack.I wouldn't shoot it until I got a pro to check it out.Just my 2 cents!

#4 GhostHunter

GhostHunter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

I like the rope cocker...does it have two sides to it that guides along the side of the rail...if it does that would be great to ensure a consistant cocking everytime...Please let me know

#5 cmil84

cmil84

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

I dont know if I understand your quetion all the way GhostHunter but I will try and answer. The rope goes inbetween the string suppresors so it almost works as a guide.  I love it compared to the rope I got with my 400.  I have been using it now on my Ghost 400 and it works great.  I put another post up about my safety not engaging on my Ghost 400 but now that I am using the new rope it engages every time.

20130711_164751_zps2793b8f2.jpg

Also just to give you guys a comparison on size

20130710_070704_zpsc4ce3113.jpg

20130711_164649_zpsb2d5b0b0.jpg

I do have some more questions though.  I was trying to zero today and I have been having a heck of a time.  The 385 is zeroed perfectly at 20yrds.  Bulls eye everytime.  Its when I step back it gets tricky.  30yrds I am good,  40 yards it is hitting up and down fine but it is hitting way left.  Like 5inches left.  I cant make any adjustments for that.  Any suggestions?

Next the Ghost 400 I cant get zeroed past 20yrds.  20 and 30 are basically the same but it is once again once I try to move back to 40 and 50 that it gets tricky.  For all you guys out there that might be shooting a Ghost 400 what is your ranges on your scope.  Is it 20,30,40,50 or is it more like 20,35,45,60.  I had a heck of a time trying to figure this out today.  I finally had to give up for the day.  I shot alot and I was out there for a while.  I need advice on this zeroing problem.

Another thing I noticed today was that my servings on my Ghost 400 were starting to seperate(I need to get a pic for you guys).  I could push them back together but after every shot it would happen again.  I am talking about the one that goes across the track.  Is this normal and what do I have to do to fix this problem

#6 cmil84

cmil84

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

Still shooting my 385.  I am ordering two new Nikon Bolt scopes for both my Ghost xbows to replace the cross scopes.  Good at 20/30 yards after that no good.  I have noticed that the camo up by the track just under where you pull the string back to is starting to chip away already.  Not to happy with that.  That has no effect on how it shoots but still.  I really like the finish on this thing it is beautifull.  It is real light and short almost makes me feel like I am holding and M4.  short light and menuverable.  The Razer is suppose to be around the same size.  That would be awesome!!  Cant wait to see that.  I have not been able to find any reviews on the Ghost 385 though.  There are no videos or anything about them.  When were there release date.  Was it May or June?  I figure since they were so new thats why nothing is out yet.  If I wasnt camera shy I would make a video.  I am not all that up to speed on youtube though.  Well I guess I will stop talking about it for now.  Just really love this bow

#7 Timberframe

Timberframe

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

That is a really nice bow. I would sure consider buying one. And the price seems really reasonble. Keep us up to date on any future thoughts. thanks

#8 Timberframe

Timberframe

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

I was going to tell ya, after trying 6 diferrent fix blade crossbow broadheads and 6 mechanical broadheads on my Barnett buck commander, I find the Grim reaper crossbow broadheads to be very reliable and have a nice tight pattern, and unbelievable massive bloodtrails.

#9 cmil84

cmil84

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

Timberframe I will have to check them out.  I have been wondering about BHs.  Thanks for the info