View New Content Mark all as read |  

Horton?????

• Please log in to reply

#1 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

I wonder why the Horton site on CBN is still up and running while the company is closed down and they are out of business? Now I do understand that there are a lot of Horton owners looking for parts and their concerns are real. But this can be served under the "other" title and maybe start a listing for Mission or another new Crossbow company. For Horton owners maybe list them with Ten Point , i.e. Ten Point and Horton, at least that way the new guys that own Hortons will know that Ten Point has an interest in the defunct company. Cactus

#2 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Maybe because it's one of the original crossbow brands and has more users than most of all the others put together.  Many don't realize that the Horton brand of crossbow was in existence some twenty plus years before it was manufactured in the USA.

Ten Point has no interest in old or current Horton owners.  I believe the Horton VOLUME has earned their stay plus eventually Ten Point will produce something under the name as a stand alone brand.

Tha'ts not to say that CBN doesn't need to add a few new rooms or listings.  Remember its a Crossbow Manufactures room and not a listing of those that distribute crossbows that someone else actually makes.

• Tim50, Outdoorsman and Stalker like this

#3 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,154 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

IMHO this room is needed now MORE than ever! I feel these rooms are a public service to the owners of that company's bows. I would hope CN would retain this room as a public service for fellow members attempting to contact other owners and possibly get a line on needed parts. I for one would like to see this room stay open for all the owners out there who have been left hanging by Horton's demise.

• Outdoorsman and Stalker like this

#4 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,814 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

The room isn't going anywhere.  As stated above, there are so many Horton crossbows in the world that (at this time) the room is still needed and deserved.  Especially since TP will be manufacturing new crossbows with the Horton brand.  If they were to squash the brand, I would consider removing it after some time.  But for now, it stays.

• Tim50 and Stalker like this

#5 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:42 AM

I don't really disagree with either one of you, yet when Middleton was taken down I didn't see many objections. There are other Crossbows being produced that do not have a spot on the CBN forum, Carbon Express, Winchester , Mission are just a few that come to mind. At this point Horton Bows are still out in stores for sale and I'm positive that some dealers are not telling their customers that the company is defunct and that the warranty is non-existent. Can I blame them in one way yes, in another no, the dealers invested in the Horton products and as happens in so many instances when a manufacturer goes bankrupt or fails it comes with no warning and no chance to return stock  for a refund. Yes, I know Horton for many years was synonomous with Crossbows,I believe the time is right to now either put Horton to bed or Ten Point step up to fix it by servicing the problems with the Bows, the cost may have to be shared by the owners. Now I know that's not the fairest solution but it's better than having a Bow that's not usable and having to buy a replacement, really did all the spare parts vapourize? In the end I made a case to keep the Horton site up and going. Cactus

#6 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

TenPoint should step up to the plate and let Horton owners know exactly what they are going to do. The silence from TP isn't fair to all the loyal Horton customers and the retailers and won't bode well for TP's PR.

I worked for an automotive OEM supplier. One of their requirements was to keep all tooling for 7 years after a part was discontinued.

I know that the archery industry isn't the same but I am sure that TP could come up with some kind of solution to ease the concerns of most who have done business with Horton.

#7 pat57

pat57

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Tenpoint has a manufacturer spot they own horton and wickedridge put all under one banner and make room for c/x or mission or some of the others that sponser on this web site. But this is just my thought on the matter.

#8 BigBowMan

BigBowMan

Happy Member

• Members
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationBig Flats, WI

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Ten Point has ... they are not fixing any old Horton bows, honoring their old warranty or selling any of their crossbows that they have left in inventory. How much more clear can that be?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Edited by BigBowMan, 25 July 2013 - 10:23 AM.

• Tim50 and bobbyd1947 like this

#9 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 926 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Ten Point has ... they are not fixing any old Horton bows, honoring their old warranty or selling any of their crossbows that they have left in inventory. How much more clear can that be?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's only clear if people other than those on this website know about it. I haven't seen anything about it anywhere else. Who is telling John Q. Public about it?

#10 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

I say leave it up. But I also think Mission should get its own thread, especially since they are sponsors of this site. Camx is new and only makes one style bow and they have their own thread. If Mission is going to help support us maybe we should do what we can to support them.

#11 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,814 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

Here's how the rooms work to be frank.  For the manufacturers that have been around for ever, they get a room.  For the manufacturers that sponsor CN.  They get a room, if they want one.  Both Mission and Carbon Express have asked not to have a specific room.  They both felt at the time that if they could not have a representative that was active in those rooms to answer questions and provide customer service then they would rather not have one yet.  For those other smaller manufacturers.  That is my call.  If I feel there is enough of a following, I'll give them a room.  If not, they are in the all other brands room.  Sometimes having a room with little to no traffic is worse than not having a room at all.  

• SPECIALIZED, Cactus, BigBowMan and 3 others like this

#12 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don't believe Ten Point owes Horton owners anything.  TP was very specific in what assets they bought and assumed none of the liabilities.  Why should they have to pay to repair something they didn't design or make?  TP is going above and beyond it would appear trying to return Horton crossbows to their rightful owners when they could just push it all into the trash.  Apparently you guys don't have an idea of what kind of effort and burden that is on TP and its resources at this specific moment in their selling and manufacturing season.

Horton Archery never secured tooling when they bought the assets from Horton Manufacturing because much of it was knocked off already in China and Horton Archery has stuffed scattered all over with a list of vendors owed.  Sure there are some spare parts lying around, piles of them!  The exact same spare parts that failed in the first place.  Putting on NEW bad parts so that they continue to fail and come back and back is not a viable solution is it.  To resolve the issue correctly new designed and manufactured parts would be required and that takes time and money.

• Urban Legend, Tim50, Cactus and 2 others like this

#13 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

UL/XBowguy: Good points from both of you, UL thanks for the explanation, I think we all learned something, I know I did.XBowguy: Fully agree Ten Point is already going above and beyond, hopefully there will be some solution for our Horton members. Cactus
  • Urban Legend likes this