Barnett Recruit Reviews

• Please log in to reply

#1 hunter5567

hunter5567

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWalker, LA.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thought I'd start a new topic on the Recruit where people can put forth a review of this crossbow.

Here is mine so far:

I got my Recruit in today and I love the narrowness of the limbs. It was really easy to put together--noticeably moreso than the Jackal. The stock extender seems to work as advertised and the set screws seem to lock it in place just fine but I can imagine if you if you keep torqueing on them you could probably strip them out.

I put a my Tenpoint scope on it to shoot. I weighed the bolts that came with it and with the supplied field points they were weighing around  393 grains on my powder scale. The field tips were weighing around 95 grs. Barnett might look into this if the minimum weight to shoot in their crossbows needs to be at least 400gr. I may be less critical in a 130lb draw weight crossbow. I didn't get any arrows in my Jackal package so I don't know what the ones supplied with it weigh.

I used Deercrossing arrows to sight in it and with 100gr (weighed) target points they were weighing 406grs.

I shot great and I have it sighted in at 20 yards so far and it was easy to dial it in with the Tenpoint scope.

I'll have to shoot it at further yardages later. Most places I hunt I won't get over a 40 yard shot so it should be perfect for that. It seemed to hit the target with a little less force than the Jackal but not that much less but then there is only about 8-10fps difference in energy figures..

Probably later on down the road I'll upgrade to a faster bow like the Barnett Razor but I'm happy with this crossbow and love knocking 10" off its wingspan over the Jackal for easier portability through the woods or in a ground blind or tripod. PS it also comes with a 3 bolt quiver

If I get a chance I'll have to setup the chronograph and clock some arrows and what speeds I am getting.

#2 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Hunter.

Yes it would be very interesting to see some speed figures on this bow. Wonder if it does shoot at 300fps with a 400gr arrow??

What are your thoughts on the general build quality and trigger??

#3 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Good review Thanks

#4 hunter5567

hunter5567

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWalker, LA.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Build quality is very good and trigger seems the same as on the Jackal. It seems to be quieter than the Jackal as well.

In the manual it states 308fps with a 380gr arrow, 300fps with 400gr arrow and 292fps with a 425gr arrow. It also states not to shoot less than a 400gr arrow. They probably state 425gr arrows in the manual (Jackal) because most people don't have access to a scale that weighs in grains and you don't want to risk cracking your limbs by shooting too light of an arrow and voiding your warranty.

#5 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:15 AM

Thanks Hunter, nice to know it has the same trigger as the Jackal.

Manufacturers listed speed figs are one thing IMO, real world velocities are another.

Will be interesting to see how she cronies with a 400 grainer, and if it lives up to Barnetts claim.

#6 hunter5567

hunter5567

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWalker, LA.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

306fps with 380gr

#7 cmil84

cmil84

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

306fps with 380gr

??? Is this what yours shot?? Or is that a question??

#8 hunter5567

hunter5567

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWalker, LA.

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

That was stated in the owner's manual. I sighted in out to 40 yards today and it seems to be spot on the Tenpoint scope I have on it. Maybe a little high on the 40 yard dot. This is the red/green dot 3X scope.

Edited by hunter5567, 10 August 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#9 hunter5567

hunter5567

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWalker, LA.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Shot my recruit today sighting it in with Slick Trick Mag 100gr broadheads and it shoots great. I had tried the Meatseeker broadheads and didn't get consistent results as far as accuracy and it appeared that the broadheads weren't opening upon impact but who knows wjhat went on inside of the target especially after pulling them out and not to mention what will happen in flesh.

The Slick Tricks definitely sliced holes going in. Maybe a higher speed crossbow is needed for the Meatseekers.

The Slick Tricks definitely penetrated deeper into the target burying the fletching with one popping out the backside.

I bought one of those Ten Point arrow remover pliers and they worked great but with only an inch of so of the arrow sticking out I pulled off the knocks of a couple of the arrows. They were easy to pop back on and I'll get some glue for them later.

Anyways, I really love this bow and glad I got it.

• barnettxbows400 likes this

#10 LaTuFu

LaTuFu

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

I ordered one of these today from my local shop. I had intended to buy a different xbow for my youngest son, but chose this one on the recommendation at the shop. Looking forward to receiving it and putting it through the paces. Looks like I may even be able to enjoy it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

#11 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

Welcome to CBN. Congrats on the new bow.

#12 barnettxbows400

barnettxbows400

Barnett Representative

• Members
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

LaTuFu,

Welcome to CBN. When you have the stock fully extended it will be the same size as a Ghost 350 or Wildcat C5. Out of all of the trainings that I have done lately, I haven't had one person shoot that wasn't blown away. You guys made a great choice.

-Jesse

#13 jewalker7842

jewalker7842

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:11 AM

Wow I think I might get my wife one of these. She complains my Jackal kicks too much lol.

#14 tornado

tornado

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Wow I think I might get my wife one of these. She complains my Jackal kicks too much lol.

You wont want your Jackal if you buy a Recruit. Trust me, i just bought one.

#15 LaTuFu

LaTuFu

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

LaTuFu,

Welcome to CBN. When you have the stock fully extended it will be the same size as a Ghost 350 or Wildcat C5. Out of all of the trainings that I have done lately, I haven't had one person shoot that wasn't blown away. You guys made a great choice.

-Jesse

Jesse:

I have not yet had a chance to shoot it, but I plan to tonight or tomorrow.

I think you may be right, and my son might be disappointed to learn that he didn't get a crossbow for his birthday. But his Dad somehow wound up with one. :D

Posted Image

Right now it's just taunting me in the office until the UPS guy shows up with the target block.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

• barnettxbows400 likes this